• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali Audio IN-8 Studio Monitor Review

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I see. Maybe IN-8 v2 will improve this dip.

I've got a pair on order, so we'll see. The dealer website copy was a bit confusing, but it seems pretty much everything about the IN-8 has been improved in what Kali calls a "Second Wave" product.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got a pair on order, so we'll see. The dealer website copy was a bit confusing, but it seems pretty much everything about the IN-8 has been improved in what Kali calls a "Second Wave" product.

Depending on the dip you're referring it, if it can be DSP corrected, it may be improved, but if it's due to the midrange/tweeter air gap diffraction I don't think it will go away.

-Updated DSP
-Updated amp section
-Updated driver material

That's the list as far as I know.

magic44ken

Thanks. Look forward to your finding. I wonder if they know about the big dip around 10kHz cause by the air gap between the mid and tweeter.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure they aware of it, although that doesn't mean that it's fixable.
Erins measured IN-5 shows a smaller high frequency dip than the here measured IN-8 and according to Kalis measurements its even smaller on the second wave IN-8:

1621494831876.png

More Dynamics Please

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe I'm overly suspicious but that seems like a bit of a sketchy deal selling a just introduced item that's in short supply and high demand for less than current market price. I'd check it out very closely and be prepared to dispute with eBay if it's not as advertised. Best of luck.

I reached out to the seller, he had pictures of the legitimate boxes and got a batch from Kali to redistribute. He chooses to make less profit on them and sell them at a discount.

As with anything, buy with PayPal and if you don't get an item as described, they will help you resolve it.

More Dynamics Please

I reached out to the seller, he had pictures of the legitimate boxes and got a batch from Kali to redistribute. He chooses to make less profit on them and sell them at a discount.

As with anything, buy with PayPal and if you don't get an item as described, they will help you resolve it.

Just strikes me as odd and inexplicable that this low-cost eBay seller would be selected out of the many retailers clamoring for this new Kali speaker that's in high demand and short supply. Maybe the seller is a relative of someone who works at Kali Audio as Kali products seem to make up most of what he's advertising at below market prices. :)

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor

Yeah -- between PayPal and eBay policies, the worst that could happen is some inconvenience and disappointment. As a buyer, your money is safe if any item turns out to not be "as described" -- there's just no "buyer's remorse" return privilege unless the seller specifically offers that.

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor

They're here -- more about them later, which might be a while because they arrived in the midst of a major multi-day apartment reconfiguration project. :cool:
102_0002~1.jpg

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Even a screenshot on a 1080p phone is too large for the forum... They are set up now though... It's like an IN-5 clone. Don't think I could tell the difference besides a little more bass. I put it side by side with the IN-8 V1 that I have. Hard to tell the difference there too. Likely placebo, but maybe the treble is a touch brighter? (But not bright per say.)

Unplugged one at a time to try mono testing but since I can't switch instantly my aural memory isn't likely accurate.

Anyhow, the hiss is drastically improved. I like the small amount of extra bass vs the IN-5, and now have the IN-8 v2 nearfield instead of my HiVi DIY 3.1a with a terrible amp that I need to replace.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone directly compared that one against the JBL 308p?

The 308 sounded bass lite to me with hard treble when I had it for a few weeks. I don't hear either of these things on the IN-8v2. Better all around to me.

Also better handling of the bass at 2:20 in Jamie XX Reconsider.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hook 'em both up to something with a balance control.

I'm too minimalist for my own good. Don't have anything with balance control knobs. Maybe the MiniDSP could do something like that.

Top Bottom