• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ethernet Input DACs

Wombat

Master Contributor
Are there any budget-level ones?

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Depends on the definition of Ethernet Input.
If you mean DLNA, the answer is yes
If you mean real time audio over IP (AES67 style) the answer is no.

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
I do wonder if USB in isochronous mode using asynchronous synchronization with either UAC1 or UAC2 is less complex than AES67.

The advantage of Ethernet of course is that one get rid of the 5m length limitation and as it is Ethernet, galvanic isolated by design.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The Teac NT series is the most common one I have seen. The problem with it for my use is that it doesn't support Roon.

The cheapest way to get there is to use an external streamer based on Raspberry Pi driving an ordinary DAC over USB.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The cheapest way to get there is to use an external streamer based on Raspberry Pi driving an ordinary DAC over USB.
Was going to say the same. The advantage of the pi is it can do almost any protocol or app.

gvl

Major Contributor
Some DACs use RJ45 for I2S, but that doesn't make them Ethernet inputs, I suppose...

astr0b0y

The problem with it for my use is that it doesn't support Roon.
Latest 505 model apparently is Roon ready although the manual doesn't go into any detail on it. If it is indeed supported by Roon over ethernet it would be one of the least expensive ethernet DACs. They supply Mac ASIO drivers too which is atypical of almost all manufacturers. Must be to support native DSD rather than sending via DoP.

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
I do wonder if USB in isochronous mode using asynchronous synchronization with either UAC1 or UAC2 is less complex than AES67.

The advantage of Ethernet of course is that one get rid of the 5m length limitation and as it is Ethernet, galvanic isolated by design.

Correct. Cable run distance is 9m.

Apparently, the Google Chromecast Audio can be connected to Ethernet via a simple kit. I'll try that first and compare to wifi.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2418159 - see first post.

https://www.amazon.com.au/UGREEN-Network-Adapter-Chromecast-Ethernet/dp/B0773NKLTD

Last edited:

astr0b0y

Oppo's 203 and 205 are also ethernet enabled DACs that are Roon ready.

What software are you planning to use to send data to the DAC over ethernet?

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
Oppo's 203 and 205 are also ethernet enabled DACs that are Roon ready.

What software are you planning to use to send data to the DAC over ethernet?

Oppo isn't 'budget' for me. Initially, I am looking to stream internet music to my analogue stereo system, e.g. radio stations and spotify. HQ later, maybe.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Oppo isn't 'budget' for me. Initially, I am looking to stream internet music to my analogue stereo system, e.g. radio stations and spotify. HQ later, maybe.

I have on order a BT 5.0 receiver which has optical and co-axial output to DAC. I should have it in a week or so. Those are possible alternatives for wireless streaming if its 'general listening'. Suspect there will be some quality compromises when it comes to high data rate stuff such as DSD files though.

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
Why not just stick with wi-fi?

I have read that the Chromecast Audio sounds better with Ethernet.
When I get around to it I,ll check it out - exterior house renovations taking priority ahead of the approaching winter(Southern Hemisphere).

Maybe Amir can check this out when he reviews the Chromecast Audio.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Oh... I never knew there was an audio version of Chromecast! With a Optical connection too... that's interesting to say the least!

Thanks !

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
Last edited:

top443

I don't see any reason for Ethernet to be better than wifi. It uses TCP/IP so the link level protocol should be transparent. The same bits are hitting the dac.

Top Bottom