• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

solderdude

Grand Contributor
An educated guess would be it's a capacitor that discharges very slowly after being switched off that thus takes more time to fully charge when switched off for a while as it only seems to happen when switched off for a longer period.

That capacitor may be in the reset circuit of the processor or DC protection which 'mutes' the power indicator LED. That LED is most likely driven from the processor not directly from the power supply.

Pawlakbest

I managed to film the blinking issue with my L30 replacement, S/N 2012xxx. Happens a few times a week when it's been turned off for a while and then powered on again.

I have the exact same behavior with my 2012 unit and while this is no issue and unit works perfectly fine I wonder if newer 2101+ versions also have this?

HoJ76

Now I have just placed an order for l30 number two. I'm so incredibly happy with these little boxes. The first one I have is connected to dx30pro and pi4 with roon. The new l30 (in red) needs to be connected to my vinyl player.

ati

First post. Thank you for the reality-based reviews and discussion.

Sad to say my L30 (2007***) started making loud, unwelcome crackling noises through my speakers (then headphone) and then started smoking.
Shenzhen audio (via Amazon) are sending me a new one from China.
I'm sad to see it die, but also quite alarmed it could have blown my speakers / headphones or started a fire.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
That's why they have been recalled.
It would be kind of interesting to know how many of the early L30's have been 'replaced' by now (percentage) and how many people probably have no clues this can happen.

ati

Probably many are still working fine. Mine went just after I moved it to a room more prone to static (computer room, ironically). Otherwise I suspect it may have carried on just fine.

jrfinkel

Pardon me if this questions was answered in the previous 228 pages of comments.

My understanding is that the L30 can used as a pre-amp. Any recommendations for an inexpensive power amplifier to be paired with this to drive speakers? Thanks in advance.

Vini darko

Major Contributor

My understanding is that the L30 can used as a pre-amp. Any recommendations for an inexpensive power amplifier to be paired with this to drive speakers? Thanks in advance.
Hi welcome to asr. Yes l30 can be used as a preamp. The behringer A800 is a good budget power amp(£170). Has plenty of power and reasonable measurments.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Guys, may I know how hot is your L30?

Mine get to up to 41C+ when using it as preamp.

Typically is over 40C
20210514_135924.jpg

Last edited:

jrfinkel

Hi welcome to asr. Yes l30 can be used as a preamp. The behringer A800 is a good budget power amp(£170). Has plenty of power and reasonable measurments.
Thanks much.

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
Man I was just expecting to be a difference at top volume compared to my old Amp, but no it appears this one sounds better through and through.........even though it wasn't a blind test.

Power cord is too short, i'll have to look for a longer one.

NgtFlyer

About the same here. The lower heat tolerant capacitors are 85c. Higher, 105c. You're 40c below max spec of those components alone. Many semiconductors are rated for higher temperatures.

Remember, what feels warm/hot to us, is just warmed up and working for most electronics.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
About the same here. The lower heat tolerant capacitors are 85c. Higher, 105c. You're 40c below max spec of those components alone. Many semiconductors are rated for higher temperatures.

Remember, what feels warm/hot to us, is just warmed up and working for most electronics.
I didn't measure my previous L30, but it was barely warm to touch prior, even after hours of use. Now the replacement L30 is much warmer.
I do wonder how hot the components need to be in order to get the shell to reach +41c....It got to be higher than 41C, but by how much?

Veri

Master Contributor
I didn't measure my previous L30, but it was barely warm to touch prior, even after hours of use. Now the replacement L30 is much warmer.
I do wonder how hot the components need to be in order to get the shell to reach +41c....It got to be higher than 41C, but by how much?
Others say their replacement is cooler. I have a feeling our memory of 'hotness' isn't the most accurate.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Others say their replacement is cooler. I have a feeling our memory of 'hotness' isn't the most accurate.
Easy to check....I still have the old one. Just need to turn it on and let it sit. ; )

My current one gets to 41c just by sitting....

naviivan

i’ve used it with ICE module 125ASX2 in a Ghent Chassis and it sounds pretty good. Was happy to stay with it but 1 channel developed an issue (Now i wonder if the recalled L30 had something to do with it) Upgraded to the DIY starkrimson GAN power amp which was an improvement.

raif71

Major Contributor
I tend to agree with @Pdxwayne , if memory serves me well, my previous unit was way cooler than this replacement unit. However, I won't say it is hot. Slightly warmer than previous unit.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any recommendations for an inexpensive power amplifier to be paired with this to drive speakers? Thanks in advance.

Welcome JR. The amplifier should usually be chosen based on the speakers, how large the room is, and how loud you will be playing them. Get an amp with sufficient power to make you, the room, and the speakers happy. There is nothing unusual about the L30s preamp output that would make one amp a better choice than another.

Other than cosmetics and size of course. I bet a lot of people pick small amps like the AIYIMA 07 and perhaps the new Sabaj a10a/A20a or SMSL SA300 because they are small, put out excellent sound if they suit your speaker needs, and look nice lined up with the L30.

Top Bottom