• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AES Paper Digest: Do Audio Op-amps Sound Different?

Wombat

Master Contributor

Circumbobulation going on here. Time to disengage from the seemingly nebulous speculations as these pursuits cannot be satisfactorily pursued in on-line forums. There is always another 'what if'' or mis-understanding to clarify and it seems to go on ad nauseum - a sign of not-common-ground for discussion. :confused:

Last edited:

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Circumbobulation going on here. Time to disengage from the seemingly nebulous speculations as these pursuits cannot be satisfactorily pursued in on-line forums. There is always another 'what if''. :confused:

@oivavoi is obviously not here on ASR to win arguments. It seems like he is curious, wants to learn something and have fun.

By the way, I thought that (curiosity, learning, fun) was also the intention of ASR.

If you think @oivavoi is wrong, I suggest you pointing out very clearly why you think he is wrong.

Wombat

Master Contributor
@oivavoi is obviously not here on ASR to win arguments. It seems like he is curious, wants to learn something and have fun.

By the way, I thought that (curiosity, learning, fun) was also the intention of ASR.

If you think @oivavoi is wrong, I suggest you pointing out very clearly why you think he is wrong.

He may be correct. I am happy for him to clearly demonstrate it. :rolleyes:

You have been a member of this forum long enough to understand the concept of 'onus of proof' yet you conveniently ignore it.

Last edited:

Krunok

Major Contributor
Ok, let's try to get back to the topic which @oivavoi originally posted:

Here is what he said:
"As for their dac testing, Svante describes their methodology in Swedish in this forum post: https://www.faktiskt.io/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=66684&full=1#p1960394

What they do for dac testing is some elaborate scheme where they compare the output from the dac under test with the output from a super-duper dac, and they also do some resampling of the signals to be sure that any difference is due to the dac-part of the device, and not sampling differences or other things. (please don't rely on my sketchy summary here for details, it's a simplified version)

In their latest testing, it does seem that they are in fact able to detect several dacs using this test - meaning that they are not transparent in the absolute sense of the word. Still, differences are very slight, and it's questionable whether it would be noticeable when listening to music in normal mode. And they also find that they have indeed been unable to detect some very cheap gear in their DBTs (such as the Yamaha WXC-50).

My understanding is that this group is mainly a collection of audio enthusiasts of a perfectionist bent, some of who happen to be audio professionals (either in manufacturing or in research). They seem to be animated by a desire to find audio gear that is absolutely transparent - in much the same way as our very own @amirm . All their activities are on a voluntary basis. But they don't seem to be animated by a desire to prove everybody else on the internets wrong, as strange as that may seem for some of us."

Here is Google translate of that post from his link:

"Well, almost. We let the test dac play a signal in 44.1kHz 16 bit. This is recorded on the best ADC we have found, which also gets the easy job to do it in 96 kHz. We also take the 44.1 / 16 signal and sampled it with an SRC that is far better than the reconstruction filter typically in DACar to 96 kHz. This gives two 96/24 files as level matched within the thousands of a dB, then we listen to these two files. So, actually, there is an A / B listening of A: test object + ADC against the B: reampler. And the fun of the test setup is that both the recorder and ADC have a much easier task than ADC and therefore you can guess that it is especially the ADC that is heard, if any. Earlier tests were done as a FE-listen of an AD-DA chain, and then AD and DA must go at the same sampling rate, which made it difficult to express specificly about the DAC at a detection. Furthermore, there was a risk that the delay as the AD-DA chain became detectable due to buffering. This was at least a real problem at least, and there was somewhere where the development of the new test method started. The method is described in Molt 4-2014, although we have since changed to a better recapitulation."

As can be seen in that post it has been explained how the tests were performed but no conclusions have really been given. In other words, I cannot really find correlation between what he posted and what has been said in that post from the forum.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for getting back on-topic, @Krunok . That comment was specifically a reply to Arnold's comment/question about their testing methods. Their full results are not posted online (because their printed magazine is how they generate income), but I can try to find a couple of back-issues and post the full results together with translation of the most relevant parts.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Thanks for getting back on-topic, @Krunok . That comment was specifically a reply to Arnold's comment/question about their testing methods. Their full results are not posted online (because their printed magazine is how they generate income), but I can try to find a couple of back-issues and post the full results together with translation of the most relevant parts.

Sure, that would be nice. As @Arnold Krueger said, more information will certainly come handy. You seem to be very fluent in English, at least to me, so you could translate the original text and post pics of diagrams, tables and other stuff that cannot be translated. Sure, this requires some effort from your side, but I'm afraid only after you do that we can have a meaningful discussion on this very interesting topic. :)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I'm not trying to convince anybody, I was merely asking if there is some established level of THD/IM distortion which is generally acceptable as "hearable".

For decades the IHF and others have used 1% as the definition of "high fidelity" based on people not being able to reliably hear that level of distortion in music. Arnie et. al. probably have a much better handle on this than I. I just remember it from papers, various studies and trials, and the IHF audio consultant's license test I took long, long ago.

What I remember, from long-ago studies I have no desire to try to find again, for THD (mainly low-order terms) unless otherwise stated:
  • Some people can detect as low as ~0.1% (-60 dB) distortion of a single pure (sinusoidal) tone in comparison with a tone having <0.001% (-100 dB, best available at the time) distortion.
  • Most people can detect 1% (-40 dB) distortion of a single tone again comparing to an "ideal" source.
  • In the presence of music, 1% is usually undetectable, and it may take as much as 10% (-20 dB) to be reliably detected. At very low frequencies the number is even higher.
  • IMD is more readily detectable than HD, with <1% detectable by most people, since it produces non-harmonically related components that are more easily distinguished from the harmonic series. I do not remember exact numbers for this.
Note that, given x amount of HD, then the second-order IMD products are about 6 dB higher and third-order products about 9 dB higher than the related harmonic products, assuming the distortion terms are in-phase (often are, particularly for third-order products).

Take it as IME/IMO/FWIWFM - Don

Krunok

Major Contributor
Thank you Don, this really throws some light on my question.

In that context, it doesn't really make much sense to replace my preamp/amp combo with 0.08% THD and IMD with the combo with 0.008% THD and IMD as sound will anyhow be coming from speakers that have 0.3% THD at best.

Your figures also seem to explain why I cannot hear the distortion from my tube amp/preamp which has combined THD of 0.5%.

In that same context, I also cannot really imagine anybody be able to hear the difference between the Sonica DAC which has IMD of 0.004% and any other modern DAC which very often has THD and IMD of less than 0.001%. That also justifies why Topping D10 is being everybody's darling in the DAC arena, considering it's price and specs.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, that would be nice. As @Arnold Krueger said, more information will certainly come handy. You seem to be very fluent in English, at least to me, so you could translate the original text and post pics of diagrams, tables and other stuff that cannot be translated. Sure, this requires some effort from your side, but I'm afraid only after you do that we can have a meaningful discussion on this very interesting topic. :)

Sure thing. Will do!

Just one more meta-comment for clarification here: I actually don't have a specific "position" I want to defend here. To the degree that I have anything resembling a coherent intellectual position in audio, it is probably mostly aligned with @Cosmik's : that we should just design for linearity in all aspects based on rational principles - good engineering, pure and simple - and be happy with that, without stressing with listening tests (even though I tend to disagree with Cosmik on the merits of room-based eq in the bass and on stereo vs multichannel). I certainly don't believe that there are large and/or substantial differences between modern and well-designed dacs. I'm also open to the possibility that there are problems with the experimental design of the Swedes, and that their results are not valid for that reason.

But it's an important principle for me to try and stay open for evidence that conflicts with my own convictions. That's why I find it interesting to follow what those Swedes are doing, as it challenges some positions I have previously held ("all modern dacs are absolutely transparent to the human ear, full stop"). It's mainly a question of intellectual curiosity for me, as @svart-hvitt suggests.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

That would be very good. I wonder if it would be worth it for them to create translations into a couple other languages. I believe their approach different enough it could well generate some useful amount of income for them.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Well, pretty much same here - I also don't have any specific "position". I'm not from audiophile industry and have only basic technological knowledge of analogue electronics. I came here to learn from professionals from this industry hoping they will be willing to share some of their knowledge so we can avoid myths and be able to interpret the specs in a meaningful way. :)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
General reply,

Affability doesn't always work with folk who will stubbornly defend questionable material that supports their point of view.

Sometimes a more direct presentation of response is needed to cut-through circular comments. o_O
Totally irrelevant in this context and not something that is for you to concern yourself with, just be decent with folk.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

You are right, I apologise for the tone both you and @oivavoi have been on the end of from certain quarters. If it continues I will intervene.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
You are right, I apologise for the tone both you and @oivavoi have been on the end of from certain quarters. If it continues I will intervene.

No problem :)

I enjoy my time here and learn a bit every week.

It’s great we have academics here too, even when their focus of study is not «science» in some quarters. I am afraid Aristotle, Plato and
Socrates wouldn’t pass the «science» test if we are rigid enough, which would be a loss for us if the three of them were still around.

We all do some mistakes - get lost in translation - from time to time, so it’s practical to remember that fun is the most important reason to be at ASR, or any place :)

Krunok

Major Contributor
This part is a little questionable for me:
"We let the test dac play a signal in 44.1kHz 16 bit. This is recorded on the best ADC we have found, which also gets the easy job to do it in 96 kHz. We also take the 44.1 / 16 signal and sampled it with an SRC that is far better than the reconstruction filter typically in DACar to 96 kHz. This gives two 96/24 files as level matched within the thousands of a dB, then we listen to these two files."

Why have they done it that way, why doing the ADC at all in blind listening tests? In my eyes any additional processing of the analogue signal (and ADC is heavy processing!) is something you really want to avoid in order to get correct comparison. How would they test amplifiers? Isn't there some switching equipment with which you can switch analogue signals to the same loudspeakers?

Jakob1863

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio signal quality can be accurately measured. Wine quality is much in the subjective arena. E.g. I love chardonnay, can't stand Reisling.

Oivavoi, my impression is that you are attempting to apply soft-science principles to long established hard-science topics. Back up your views with credible results and you will be listened-to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_and_soft_science

Affable score?

Of course he does, because what else could be done to explore the relation between measurement numbers and percepted (by humans) audio quality?
In every sensory test related to multidimensional perception participants (and experimenters) do face the same (or at least similar) problems. There is a multitude of bias effects at work (variables that have an impact), therefore the results lack consistency up to a certain degree and transitivity isn´t warranted. And it depends strongly on the abilities of the detectors (aka the participants) what happens.

Overall the design of good experiments is more difficult in the "not so hard" sciences

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Why have they done it that way, why doing the ADC at all in blind listening tests?
Because they can do AB Tests on the computer of captured files which is a lot easier than hardware.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Of course he does, because what else could be done to explore the relation between measurement numbers and percepted (by humans) audio quality?
In every sensory test related to multidimensional perception participants (and experimenters) do face the same (or at least similar) problems. There is a multitude of bias effects at work (variables that have an impact), therefore the results lack consistency up to a certain degree and transitivity isn´t warranted. And it depends strongly on the abilities of the detectors (aka the participants) what happens.

Overall the design of good experiments is more difficult in the "not so hard" sciences

Indeed a very true statement that the soft sciences are much harder than the hard sciences.

«I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people», said, supposedly, Isaac Newton.

Max Planck is supposed to have said to his friend Keynes that ge would not study economics because economics was too difficult for him; the math was too hard.

Funny quotes but undoubtedly there’s much truth in them.

So audio, which is in the crossroads of hard and soft sciences, is indeed a subject very few of us can master.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because they can do AB Tests on the computer of captured files which is a lot easier than hardware.

Of course, that makes sense. I didn't fully understand why they did that either, but that seems like the obvious reason.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Of course, that makes sense. I didn't fully understand why they did that either, but that seems like the obvious reason.

And doesn’t this reflect the Swedish crowd’s objective bent? They don’t care if the signal was put through an AD stage because electronics are pretty neutral these days. Right?

They don’t believe the AD stage will colour the sound in a way that will mask audible differences if they exist. Agree?

Top Bottom