• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are Youtube reviews of audio gear only allowed to be presented by dudes?

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Also I have the opinion that the average female is smart enough and money concision enough not to buy into cable bullshit lol.

When you earn much less than a man doing the same job you have to be careful about what you're spending it on.

Except shoes. Always with the shoes!

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Wonder why the people who ask such questions never wonder why there aren't more garbage women or women brick layers? In fact, this is a rhetoric question, I don't.

I hired an all woman construction company for one of my rehab projects. In fact there are some very capable women astrophysicists. BTW I rode the garbage truck as a summer job, swinging off the back. The grass clippings fermenting in the August heat were something else.

Katji

Major Contributor
If that comment was directed at me, no, I’m just curious. I find it strange that there are virtually no women interested in this hobby, unlike pretty much any other “traditionally male” pursuit. As a father of a young daughter, I am trying to learn more about these things. But thanks for your concern!
I'm very interested in, why. Like I just noted in another thread, based on enough experience, there are more females on bike forums and gun forums - way more. But I don't know that there are more males than females into music. (I don't know about field recordings forums, but that is clearly less than 1-2% of the [supposed] motivation for audio (hi-fi) equipment.)

Of course, it is not particular to youtube reviews of audio gear - youtube reviews are just another audiophile forum.

Katji

Major Contributor
I would assume that if this audio equipment, recording/mastering, playback were of an interest to women then more women would participate.
The question is why. (You know, like Science - Sociology or whatever. And afaik, the only measurement being forum statistics/demogrpahics.) Considering that interest in music is not likely to differ much male/female/whatever.

Katji

Major Contributor
Wonder why the people who ask such questions never wonder why there aren't more garbage women or women brick layers? In fact, this is a rhetoric question, I don't.
Take a look outside of Europe. (And European colonies.) Maybe the supposedly progressive/whatever EU should have some legal affirmative action to change that.

Digby

Major Contributor
Why do you never see women taking the trash out for a living? There was a big article in a local paper about the first two female refuse collectors - they weren't exactly dainty looking, I'll tell you that (obviously physical outliers for strength). There must have been thousands and thousands of men go through the position over the years, but now there were two women, quelle surprise.

Can't the same be said of deep sea fishing, oil drilling, mining, road maintenance...The list goes on of things which women are almost completely absent from and don't seem to be banging down the doors to enter either.

Let's be real, the kind of man who is interested in spending more than 10 minutes thinking about hi-fi is probably not that common either, what 2 or 3 in 100? Then for every 30-50 of these men, there is probably 1 woman with the same degree of (obsessive?) interest.

I don't know why people pretend to be shocked that men and women are different and the kind of men interested in this hobby to the extent they are posting on a forum about it are different enough within the range of male behavior, within female behavior it would be true outlier behavior (perhaps even seen as anti-social by other women, more so than with men).

Nobody seems to ask why there aren't more straight men doing make up tutorials on youtube, when there are thousands upon thousands of women doing it. Does it really matter, is it even a sensible question to ask in the first place?

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The question is why. (You know, like Science - Sociology or whatever. And afaik, the only measurement being forum statistics/demogrpahics.) Considering that interest in music is not likely to differ much male/female/whatever.

I honestly don't care. I've bigger fish to fry and I don't frame everything as an inconsistency or a problem of unfairness that needs addressing.

I'm not keeping any woman from doing anything they want. That's good enough for me.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would assume that if this audio equipment, recording/mastering, playback were of an interest to women then more women would participate.

The DIY community I run with is 100% male and 90% Caucasian. It is what it is. If you show up you're welcomed... Simple as that. Why would anyone look for anything deeper than it being what it is?

I assume you don't live in Entebbe?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
sounds like a sampling issue to me

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
I don't know why people pretend to be shocked that men and women are different

Dude! You said that out loud. On the internet. :eek:

HiFidFan