• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Weird Cars Thread

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice to park, but somewhat difficult to drive:
weird-car.jpg

Rumours said that it got a parking ticket.:D

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_93 - SAAB stands for Svenska Aeroplan Aktie Bolag! It had a 3cyl 2-stroke engine

xsaab-93-two-stroke-02-7b33e36a.jpg.pagespeed.ic.motXX-BGBZ.jpg

Successor 96 was very popular in Scandinavia in 70s and won many rallys, engine V4 from Ford

LRA5Ca3c8MXSvEByLnfXn905h3d6jpgI6_sXUDaPCojnLCYkhptRoyFJXJ1VMWW3LO83-UoM-oZxwaaY_2I7IxZ8QQ3mlnOvgYz87yQ7WSm5N2E

Large sedan 99 was really good and popular too, but lost the battle to Volvo 142/242. Engine 4cyl own design, famous with turbo.

9182417266.jpg

then Combi Coupe was created (my father had this 5-d version)

7846fedbdd755ca9347122a1db5a0b20.webp

evolution version 900 cabriolet was great succest and a cult car

1988-Saab-900-Turbo.jpg

SAAB 9000 was just OK, last one before car department was sold to Opel/GM

SAAB9000CS-1907_1.jpg
you skipped the Sonetts! :(

1616537604603.png

1616537689247.png

(the II and III)

There is a nice old SAAB 96 near the center of our little town. It is only out and about in the nice weather, though.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
@Juhazi

Yep, great car, loved the cabriolet version.
But where stands Saab today ?

Most cabriolets were made in Uusikaupunki, Finland by Valmet Automotive. They are now making MB A and GLC and batteries.
I forgot Sonett because they were so rare here, most of them were imported to UK.

SAAB auto division in Trollhättan was sold to GM, and they updated 900 and 9000 to 9-3 (based on Opel Vectra), and 9-5. 4-cyl turbo engines were developed further in Sweden, but V6 came from GM. However sales went down and production was shut down. Design team was sold to Spyker and then to China but it failed.

Airplane, military and truck (Scania) divisions are still alive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_Automobile

alekc

Most cabriolets were made in Uusikaupunki, Finland by Valmet Automotive. They are now making MB A and GLC and batteries.
I forgot Sonett because they were so rare here, most of them were imported to UK.

SAAB auto division in Trollhättan was sold to GM, and they updated 900 and 9000 to 9-3 (based on Opel Vectra), and 9-5. 4-cyl turbo engines were developed further in Sweden, but V6 came from GM. However sales went down and production was shut down. Design team was sold to Spyker and then to China but it failed.

Airplane, military and truck (Scania) divisions are still alive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_Automobile

Great SAAB. Brilliant cars especially comparing price to quality, handling and design. No other car manufacturer came close to their perfection.

You forgot one of the last but brilliant model Turbo X. Only Audi RS4 can compete with it. Amazing car. Only in black :)

Saab Turbo X.jpg

This is first Saab 4x4, previous one was build with Subaru... probably the best Subaru Impreza except limited STI runs ;)

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm so pleased our Vehicle Construction and Use regulations prohibit these horrors on our roads. Peanuts, pigs and pedestrian destroyers we can do without.

S.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm so pleased our Vehicle Construction and Use regulations prohibit these horrors on our roads. Peanuts, pigs and pedestrian destroyers we can do without.

S.
You would be surprised what passes for legal in some US States. I see those crazy hubcaps all the time, and the police aren't pulling them over.

Top Bottom