• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Vinyl Frontier

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I finally got myself into the vinyl game. I bought a turntable and a few records to start. I began with low expectations but it still managed to disappoint. Am I missing something?
  • No matter how careful I tried to clean the record, there were still pops and crackles throughout the playback
  • I could hear the noise floor on the speakers
  • The sound felt heavily colored
  • The dynamic range felt highly compressed
It was a $500 turntable with >65db SNR and <0.1% wow and flutter. I suppose a high-end turntable could beat these specs but I doubt any can manage >90db SINAD. I also doubt any turntable can eliminate all the pops and crackles.

How can anyone take vinyl seriously in this day and age? I doubt even the best equipment can beat the $7 Apple dongle.

In the meantime, I am going to keep the vinyl hobby for therapeutic purposes. It forces me to tolerate imperfections and be present. I cannot fall asleep or it will just go on and on. Nor can I skip tracks I dislike.

I wonder why R2R tapes are not more popular than vinyl for retro-coolness. I have heard DSD files transferred from analog tapes and they sounded awesome. I am sure tapes (e.g. 15 ips) can be damn good. Alas, I have no space for more equipment. I will stick with digital for serious listening and vinyl for meditation.
R2R is insanely expensive and it is even if it's in production as a mainstream thing. The reels obviously would sound better but only to one or two generations. And again, insanely expensive to copy and there is a limit on how many time you can play these old tapes back.

If you did not enjoy records as a youth, you will not enjoy them now. People who love vinyl are often mostly remembering the experience of music in their younger years when music was more interactive and more social. You listened to albums, not songs. You looked at the cover and the liner notes were a size where you could read them.

I love Tidal and the way I can find great sounding music for $20 month in better fidelity than I get off of my lps. LPs just sound more alive to me.

TL/dr: The cracks and hiss (not wow and flutter, eliminate that, lighten the cartridge load somehow) are part of it. Clicks too.

If you're short on space vinyl is not recommended. Then it's going to feel claustrophobic. I live in a house for the first time and we have enough room that I can spread out my system a little. But for summer my a/b power amp goes in the closet and the class D comes out.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I finally got myself into the vinyl game. I bought a turntable and a few records to start. I began with low expectations but it still managed to disappoint. Am I missing something?
  • No matter how careful I tried to clean the record, there were still pops and crackles throughout the playback
  • I could hear the noise floor on the speakers
  • The sound felt heavily colored
  • The dynamic range felt highly compressed
It was a $500 turntable with >65db SNR and <0.1% wow and flutter. I suppose a high-end turntable could beat these specs but I doubt any can manage >90db SINAD. I also doubt any turntable can eliminate all the pops and crackles.

How can anyone take vinyl seriously in this day and age? I doubt even the best equipment can beat the $7 Apple dongle.

In the meantime, I am going to keep the vinyl hobby for therapeutic purposes. It forces me to tolerate imperfections and be present. I cannot fall asleep or it will just go on and on. Nor can I skip tracks I dislike.

I wonder why R2R tapes are not more popular than vinyl for retro-coolness. I have heard DSD files transferred from analog tapes and they sounded awesome. I am sure tapes (e.g. 15 ips) can be damn good. Alas, I have no space for more equipment. I will stick with digital for serious listening and vinyl for meditation.

Pops and clicks can be dirt or track damage. An ultrasonic or vacuum record cleaning machine can eliminate the dirt. Track damage - live with it or get another copy. Your phono preamp can make the pops worse due to insufficient headroom.
I run my records through my vacuum record cleaner and use better sleeves if needed. Unless the tracks are damaged I do not hear pops during playback.

It is quite possible to get quiet playback.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pops and clicks can be dirt or track damage. An ultrasonic or vacuum record cleaning machine can eliminate the dirt. Track damage - live with it or get another copy. Your phono preamp can make the pops worse due to insufficient headroom.
I run my records through my vacuum record cleaner and use better sleeves if needed. Unless the tracks are damaged I do not hear pops during playback.

Except for the vinyl roar.

Rick “who listen through it, but knows it’s there” Denney

Robin L

Master Contributor

I just hate the self noise of my Apple Lossless files.

NOT!

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Except for the vinyl roar.

Rick “who listen through it, but knows it’s there” Denney
Although vinyl roar is real, insofar as it's measurable on a unmodulated groove, on clean records I don't find it audible from my listening seat. In fact, when I start my turntable going on mnay LPs, I'm not sure it's playing until the music starts. Some of course are noisy from the start, but the better LPs are acceptably quiet. Impulsive noise i.e. clicks and pops are more noticeable but now that all my LPs have been cleaned with a vacuum Record Cleaning Machine, I'm surprised and pleased how much quieter they are compared with the 1970s and 80s, before I got an RCM.

Nevertheless, I'm far more accepting now of vinyl imperfections, knowing that there's a noise-free alternative than I was in the 1960s to early '80s when record quality was deeply frustrating as there was no real alternative.

S.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I measured the vinyl roar on one clean record at about -40 dB in the low bass, but I want to do that measurement again more carefully—I recently bought a new test record through which I have not plowed furrows yet. (That project follows my current project of getting my CDs ripped.) I can’t hear it when -40 dB is masked by ambient noise, but that’s at fairly low listening levels. I can hear through it even it’s audible. My preamp’s phono section is known for a quiet background, and it is that when the arm is up, so I know what’s causing it.

Usually what has me looking for CD versions of vinyl LPs is some semblance of restored dynamics. The cutting engineer (what we used to call the mastering engineer) has to make choices to fit stuff in the dynamic range of a vinyl LP, and often it seems that remastering is just transferring what’s on the final tape mix to digital without that extra step. Maybe they do a bit of judicious noise reduction to reduce tape hiss. But it’s mostly the dynamics I’m looking for on a “remastered for digital” CD.

But a lot of my LPs sound really good without that and the music material masks the roar. If the dynamics are preserved, there will usually be some distorted peaks on those high-production-volume 70’s LPs, but that just matches the distortion in my left ear.

Rick “agreeing, in case it isn’t obvious” Denney

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I measured the vinyl roar on one clean record at about -40 dB in the low bass, but I want to do that measurement again more carefully—I recently bought a new test record through which I have not plowed furrows yet. (That project follows my current project of getting my CDs ripped.) I can’t hear it when -40 dB is masked by ambient noise, but that’s at fairly low listening levels. I can hear through it even it’s audible. My preamp’s phono section is known for a quiet background, and it is that when the arm is up, so I know what’s causing it.

Usually what has me looking for CD versions of vinyl LPs is some semblance of restored dynamics. The cutting engineer (what we used to call the mastering engineer) has to make choices to fit stuff in the dynamic range of a vinyl LP, and often it seems that remastering is just transferring what’s on the final tape mix to digital without that extra step. Maybe they do a bit of judicious noise reduction to reduce tape hiss. But it’s mostly the dynamics I’m looking for on a “remastered for digital” CD.

But a lot of my LPs sound really good without that and the music material masks the roar. If the dynamics are preserved, there will usually be some distorted peaks on those high-production-volume 70’s LPs, but that just matches the distortion in my left ear.

Rick “agreeing, in case it isn’t obvious” Denney
-40dB is about right for LF noise, which makes rumble measurements difficult. I don't know how some reviewers get rumble figures of -60dB or more from an LP. Using a rumble bridge avoids the LP itself, but there are few of those about.

LP cutting and mastering are separate although closely related activities.
In the Good Old Days, when LPs were released all round they world, Major labels like CBS and EMI would have the LPs pressed locally, both for cost and logistical reasons. However, it was important that all LPs were nominally the same wherever pressed, so the original master tape was cut by the original cutting/mastering engineer. Cutting an LP from a flat, finished stereo master tape involved lots of decisions including things like HF limiting, reduced separation in the bass and often dynamic EQ and compression, all designed to get the best out of vinyl's limitations. These decisions were committed to tape, and a Disk Cutting Master created, which converted the flat stereo master into a tape that could be copied and sent round the world to pressing plants for them to cut locally. As all the difficult decisions were incorporated in the DCM, all the local plant had to do was to cut a flat copy of the tape with no further changes. Assuming the local plant was well set up and maintained, this would theoretically result in a pressing that was indistinguishable from one pressed in the original CBS, EMI or whatever plant. Of course the reality was sometimes different, but at least that's how it should have worked. Listening to a DCM tape was rather different, and generally nothing like as good as the original final master, as it needed the limitations and changes made by the LP manufacturing process.

One aside, is that DCMs should only ever have been used for cutting an LP, but in the early days of CDs, quite a few got used, out of ignorance or carelessness, for producing CDs. The result was fairly predicable, that with a completely flat reproduction method such as CD, all the adjustments necessary for vinyl were audible, and unpleasantly so. I had a couple of DCM copies on tape many years ago, and they certainly sounded odd when played at home.

S.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did the DCMs have the RIAA curve built into them? That would certainly make them sound odd if played without the RIAA correction found in phono preamps.

Rick “easy to add digitally these days” Denney

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I am not sure about the "roar". I do not hear that with my current turntable - Clearaudio Performance DC with Satisfy Arm and Maestro 2 cartridge or my previous setup - Merrill Heirloom with Graham Robin arm and Lyra Parnassus cartridge. We are talking mechanical devices where vibrations can be picked up with ease. I can say with confidence everything counts - starting with the table then arm and cartridge. Most folks that have heard my setup are surprised at the lack of background noise.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Record a silent groove and then run a FFT spectrogram on it. You may be surprised.

Rick “who has done this” Denney

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you just allow for Stockholm syndrome to set in, you too can enjoy vinyl.
I suspect that Stockholm Syndrome is how my experience will be. I ordered a used TT and despite the normal lp distortions, does sound more alive. I can't decide if it's because of the process of playing the records or the change in mix or just the pops adding excitment, but I'm looking upmarket now.

The experience is so much more involving than digital, the music really comes alive.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Impulsive noise i.e. clicks and pops are more noticeable but now that all my LPs have been cleaned with a vacuum Record Cleaning Machine, I'm surprised and pleased how much quieter they are compared with the 1970s and 80s, before I got an RCM.
Mind to tell which RCM you own?

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I suspect that Stockholm Syndrome is how my experience will be. I ordered a used TT and despite the normal lp distortions, does sound more alive. I can't decide if it's because of the process of playing the records or the change in mix or just the pops adding excitment, but I'm looking upmarket now.

The experience is so much more involving than digital, the music really comes alive.

There is an important principle implicit here: absolute audio quality is only part of the hobby experience, and the other parts also affect our perceptions.

Which is what hobbies are all about.

Rick “as long as we sustain self-awareness to avoid unsubstantiated claims” Denney

billmr

Some of you guys are pretty funny. I have some records that are pretty bad, but then I have some cds that are really bad.

I have a lot of mobile fidelity stuff from the 80s and most of it sounds really good. I have recorded a lot of them on cds using a pioneer pdr-19 and when I give copies to people they are shocked at how good they sound.

I personally like a very little bit of noise, it makes everything sound less sterile. I have old albums that I have listened to for many years and my brain expects the clicks or pops at certain times, and if I hear an digital version it sounds wrong without them.

When playing Vinyl I believe there is some reverb effect because of the speaker bass vibrating the turntable parts (this happens even when you use a low pass filter. ) it is very subtle and most people do not know that it happens, but it sounds good.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Record a silent groove and then run a FFT spectrogram on it. You may be surprised.

Rick “who has done this” Denney

I don't doubt what you are saying. I am not hearing it myself - which could mean my hearing is compromised. Either way I like vinyl playback - I also like digital. Both systems draw me in if it is a good recording.

billmr

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-is-audio-dither.141/

I remember reading about this in some audio mag a long time ago, as far as I remember the story:
Bob Carver was sitting in his living room listening to music with a fire going in his fireplace and he thought to himself, hey this sounds better with a little white noise (dither) from the fireplace added so he started using that to make his amps or something sound better..

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't doubt what you are saying. I am not hearing it myself - which could mean my hearing is compromised. Either way I like vinyl playback - I also like digital. Both systems draw me in if it is a good recording.

Me, too. And I don’t hear it in my system at lower listening levels. But I do hear it—abundantly—in headphones. I still enjoy the records.

Rick “but it’s not white noise” Denney

pads

Vinyl is what I was brought up with however when cds first hit the market I was all in but I kept coming back. I guess it's more to do with the physical aspect and having a bit of control with the playback. As I moved up the chain to more expensive TTs, arms and carts coupled with good phono amps etc the better things got (in my mind). I do listen to digital and enjoy the fact that I don't have haul my ass off the sofa every 20 minutes or so and frankly I hear no difference between the formats. At the end of the day I will always be a vinyl fan boy, for the record (good pun eh?) I have a number of albums that are very quiet and pop free, investing in a decent record cleaner is a must. There's a plethora of small boutique reissuers of interesting music out there, I search for the music first then the run amount, under 500 copies are in general excellent but larger runs can be good too. Many modern artists are getting into the act as well, taking control of all aspects of the recording process, Gillian Welch's Acorn records are a great example. The vinyl release of The Harrow and the Harvest is one of the best recordings I have. As for older records, yeah, pops and clicks come with the territory, I have an old copy of The Small Faces, Ogden's Nut Flake which is pretty beat up but I still love it, same with an old New York Dolls, The Specials, Zeppelin and many more. Takes me back to a much less complicated time of life when I was cool (I can hear my kids gagging...) I suppose it comes down to what audio as a hobby means to you, if you love the freedom of digital services, the lack of all bad things vinyl etc. great! If like me, somewhat OCD and have a collection of some oddball recordings that'll probably never see the light of day on a streaming service then you'll always keep a turntable or two if only for the nostalgia of it all. Now if you'll excuse me, Lucinda Williams is up next on the ol' trusty Thoren's 124, time to shuffle me ass....

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In the Good Old Days, when LPs were released all round they world, Major labels like CBS and EMI would have the LPs pressed locally, both for cost and logistical reasons. However, it was important that all LPs were nominally the same wherever pressed, so the original master tape was cut by the original cutting/mastering engineer.
My experience to this is quite different. German Pressings had lower volume and less dynamic than American pressings one could sometimes get (for cheaper, with a small cutout in the folder). I have also very few Japanese pressings which are brighter and with reduced bass compared to German pressings.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is an important principle implicit here: absolute audio quality is only part of the hobby experience, and the other parts also affect our perceptions.

Which is what hobbies are all about.

Rick “as long as we sustain self-awareness to avoid unsubstantiated claims” Denney
Like most hobbies audio has a wide spectrum of enthusiasts.
They vary at one end where music lovers just want a high quality system to enjoy their music on and abhor dicking about with the kit, probably spend a fair bit of time and money making their selection then keep it for many years and just listen to music.
At the other end is the equipment enthusiast who both keeps close tabs on the latest kit available, is always trying to find ways to make improvements and spends a very substantial proportion of his time in the hobby doing tests, comparisons, analyses and adjustments.
All of us are somewhere in this spectrum.
Vinyl appeals more (IME) to the equipment enthusiast end of this spectrum because it gives so much more opportunity to indulge in the things they enjoy most.
Digital largely allows the "search for good kit then listen to music" end of the spectrum to achieve their goal, or at least it did until we got an irritating (to me) plethora of different file types and sizes - which I suppose does allow the equipment enthusiast side of the hobby something to do with the digital part of their system.

Top Bottom