• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD800S Review (Headphone)

DubbyMcDubs

I've been using Roon for the last month, so have been using Oratory's EQ since I can plug it straight into Roon (that's such a great feature!) over Sonarworks. I think I actually like his EQ better. Not sure what magic he has done, it just sounds more enjoyable on these headphones. From some listening tests (done via Spotify and volume matching APO/Sonarworks pregain), it sounds like the low end is more emphasized/fuller on Oratory which is probably why it sounds so great to me. But the EQ curves don't show that, in fact Sonarworks looks much more bass heavy. I feel like there is something odd going on with the Sonarworks filters - I know they do some sort of low end filtering specifically on HD800s to prevent distortion, so that might be it. So maybe it's more accurate, but Oratory's EQ sounds really great for just listening to music.

He does an incredible job. I use his HD650 PEQ and it’s taken them to a new level of enjoyment. Listening to Melody Gardot - Sunset in the Blue album is heavenly. With Benchmark HPA4 and Roon/Tidal. I am looking to buy the HD800 S and can’t wait to try it.

svenz

Did Sennheiser change the cables they include w/ the HD800s?

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/high-resolution-headphones-3d-audio-hd-800-s

1614768683252.png

No more braided cables? No more XLR cable? Flimsier termination? What's going on.

DubbyMcDubs

dresler

No more braided cables? No more XLR cable? Flimsier termination? What's going on.

Probably just a mistake, those look like the HD660s cables. I bought a HD800s about a month ago and it came with two cables identical in build to the ones that came with my OG HD800. Only difference being the balanced one is terminated with a 4,4mm jack now instead of a XLR jack.

Risc1911

View attachment 115979

Bought mine a couple weeks ago directly from Sennheiser as they had reduced the price and a 10% new voucher. Paid 1.169,10 EUR which i consider a good deal, regular price is 1.599,00 EUR.

It came with the weird stiff braided cables and 2 excellent terminated plugs. Pentaconn 4.4 balanced and 6.3mm.

I would send them back if i was you or demand a set of new cables.

Risc1911

So guys, your thoughts on the HD8XX.

They come with a cable that has a 6.35 mm (1/4") TRS single-ended plug. No balanced option, which for these headphones that respond exceptionally well to a full balanced setup, is disappointing.

The original Sennheisser XLR or 4.4mm Pentaconn cable will cost 299 Euro. Not sure if there are 3rd party cables available.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
They come with a cable that has a 6.35 mm (1/4") TRS single-ended plug. No balanced option, which for these headphones that respond exceptionally well to a full balanced setup, is disappointing.

The original Sennheisser XLR or 4.4mm Pentaconn cable will cost 299 Euro. Not sure if there are 3rd party cables available.

There are plenty in the chinese market. Issue really is whether they are of the quality and l ength you want. They are usually in the 1.2m and 1.5m lengths.

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?s...436330998&ns=1&abbucket=9&skuId=4204033516016

edahl

I'm looking at oratory1990's EQ profile for the RME ADI-2 because it's supposed to be good. He likes to use the B/T-settings, but I prefer to leave these be and tweak them on the fly as I please. Has anyone played around with adapting them to "just" a 5 band EQ with at most one upper and one lower shelf?
1615305372546.png

solderdude

Grand Contributor

View attachment 115979

I would much prefer those cables over the stiff crap it came with before. What's strange is that Drop requested HD650 style cables for the HD8XX because of the horrible stock cables. They got a reply from Sennheiser that this was not possible because of the used connectors.
Now it seems they can make these better cables (the one in the picture above) and maybe include these for the 'on sale' HD800S ?
praise yourself lucky you got these cables and not the stock stiff crap it used to come with.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
So guys, your thoughts on the HD8XX.

It's still being developed and there are no samples yet for review so I don't think anyone can form a real opinion yet.
Wait for the review samples to arrive at the usual reviewers (mostly only the ones that like everything) and try to deduce something from that.

garbulky

Major Contributor
It's still being developed and there are no samples yet for review so I don't think anyone can form a real opinion yet.
Wait for the review samples to arrive at the usual reviewers (mostly only the ones that like everything) and try to deduce something from that.
Thanks! Do you plan to try it out? I would be interested in hearing yhour thoughts on it versus the HD800S. I've been wanting to get the HD800S but I have held back due to its lack of bass extension. If the HD 8XX fixes the bass extension but doesn't mess the rest of the frequencies up in tonality I would buy that one instead.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The very small increase in bass isn't going to make this a Harman tuned headphone. The (I suspect) differently tuned resonator may fix the still present treble peak. I have no idea if I will be reviewing it or not. Maybe Sennheiser can still squeeze a bit more bass out of it.

rcmo

I'm looking at oratory1990's EQ profile for the RME ADI-2 because it's supposed to be good. He likes to use the B/T-settings, but I prefer to leave these be and tweak them on the fly as I please. Has anyone played around with adapting them to "just" a 5 band EQ with at most one upper and one lower shelf?
View attachment 117213

This is the closest I could get with RME's settings. It diverges a bit above 7K. Beyond 10K I really don't care much.

LS 85 +6.0 0.8
PK 170 -3.5 0.5
PK 860 -2.0 0.7
PK 1300 +2.0 1.0
PK 6000 -5.5 3.0

dresler

Screenshot 2021-03-10 172158.png

This is what I use. Hugs Harman fairly close, besides +10 kHz, which is adjusted to taste.
Before someone points it out, the measurement is compensated hence the target being a straight line.

DubbyMcDubs

First 8XX review:

Take this as you will.

edahl

Has anyone had experience with the 800S and the HE-1000 (v1)? Considering a trade and for corona reasons it's a bit rough to hear it before I decide. Is it overall an upgrade, or is it just different?

Nabooh

I just can't help myself, coming back to thise headphone after selling them to try some other high end stuff.

I already tried the Focal Elex, the Focal Clear, selling my HD800s in between every time. This is the third time I buy the HD800s, and this time I'm planning on keeping it, especially with oratory EQ.

I really thought the Focal Clear would have something special but... Nope. They just sounds like an improved version of my HD650 with less roll off and more detail ( and also some clipping issues? ). They also sound way more artificial. I was expecting much more than that, especially for the price of the Clear.

Until now, the HD800 and HD800s have only been the two headphones that have something special during my listening session, they sound... well kinda unique. They dont' really have any flaws ( unless you're a bass head ).

Most headphones fall either in the category of "jack of all trades master of none", or in "master of one specific type of sound only". The HD800/HD800s could be considered into the second category, but given how much they can be EQ to fit a lot of music style, and still sound incredible, is what make them special to me.

rtkierke

94dB slightly below average listening level? 94dB actually rather quiet? What in the world? That's in the permanent hearing damage in 2-4 hours range. That's incredibly loud. I really hope there's an error with that spl meter.

Top Bottom