• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

artburda

Thanks, man! Mine starts with 201262 as well. I hope it has both fixes.
All L30 units with S/N 2012 or newer have the updated dc protection. And it‘s really easy to check if you have the ESD protection as well. Just open the backplate and look for the pin or use a multimeter.

bokolobs

All L30 units with S/N 2012 or newer have the updated dc protection. And it‘s really easy to check if you have the ESD protection as well. Just open the backplate and look for the pin or use a multimeter.
I know, man. I'm just lazy. I mean it's really great that Topping is replacing the pre 2012 units. But there's also something about needing to open the unit or use a multimeter to test the replacement for my peace of mind that rubs me the wrong way. I don't think I've encountered any other product that I needed to do this to. Of course Topping is not asking me to do this. What they (and the third-party seller) are implicitly asking of me is to trust them that it has been fixed.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Improving the the DC-protection without changing the audio circuit would be a tall order. But it all depends on what they mean by "audio circuit". They could be meaning "signal path".

The audio circuit was NOT changed nor the signal path.
Only the DC detector circuit (required a new layout) and trigger levels (firmware) of the 'processor'.
The relay was not changed, it was already there.

Last edited:

artburda

I know, man. I'm just lazy. I mean it's really great that Topping is replacing the pre 2012 units. But there's also something about needing to open the unit or use a multimeter to test the replacement for my peace of mind that rubs me the wrong way. I don't think I've encountered any other product that I needed to do this to. Of course Topping is not asking me to do this. What they (and the third-party seller) are implicitly asking of me is to trust them that it has been fixed.
Same thing if you bought a diesel car from VW a few years ago.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Thanks, man! Mine starts with 201262 as well. I hope it has both fixes.

when you want to know either measure with a multimeter or remove the backplate (4 hex screws)
Above 2101 there is no need to check anything.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
In that case, how does the *DC protection circuit* look like in the new one? I'm curious. (I know about the ESD-fix, I did that one myself, somewhat more robust than with a pogo pin.)

2012 (and secretly 2011) already have the DC protection fix. Halfway during the 2012 production run the ESD fix came. All the 2012 that were still at Topping had all been retrofitted manually. Some (about 10%) were already sent out.
One cannot 'modify' a pre 2012 DC protection circuit. A different PCB layout was needed so also is not something as simple as changing a value here and there.

All 2011 and beyond L30's can do not 'destroy' headphones unless you blow them up by playing low power rated headphones at full power. But that is one's own fault.

dgnzcn

I contacted to Aoshida-HIFI Audio Store on Aliexpress about serial numbers for Topping E30 and Topping L30, they provide to me following serial numbers: 2012+ and 2101+ but which is which is not clear, i asked again another question, when they answer to me i will write here again.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
E30 serial numbers doesn't matter. All L30's produced and sold now by the bigger stores are all 'fixed'.

escalibur

Got my "2007" replacement today. New one is with "2012..." serial. Damn I missed this sound for so long. :) Thank you @SHENZHENAUDIO !

The only issue I've noticed is that the new revision's volume knob wobbles a bit compared to the old one. I wish it was the same. :/

ps. Has anyone shared any PCB pictures of old and the 'fixed' version? I'm curious about the changes.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The PCB's will look very much the same. There wasn't a big 'overhaul' just some slight changes in the 'non audio' part of the PCB.

In the picture the 1 and 2 marked sections may look slightly different.
ef1ac9083757bc3ccb950e92f6d489d751b137c5_2_675x500.jpeg

Last edited:

FedHal

I just got my L30 corrected but very unfortunately it does not turn on, my old L30 has burned out, I am the one that had a pair of takstar pro 82's that have melted, so it was loss of L30 plus headset.
I guess the adapter has also burned out when my old L30 failed.
In that case you can buy only the L30 adapter? Or can Topping send me one?
The truth that I waited so long and it doesn't turn on is very frustrating.
I'm using translator, sorry.

escalibur

The PCB's will look very much the same. There wasn't a big 'overhaul' just some slight changes in the 'non audio' part of the PCB.

In the picture the 1 and 2 marked sections may look slightly different.
ef1ac9083757bc3ccb950e92f6d489d751b137c5_2_675x500.jpeg
The picture is from the old one?

Top Bottom