• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Speaking of "bucks" a Topping product fried one of Jimbob54's expensive headphones and FedHal is out an $82 pair of headphones and now needs to needlessly wait another couple of weeks for a resolution to his case which could have been avoided. A good reputation does not come cheap.
I already compensated for Jimbob54's burnt headphones. And he's happy. No other guy has come to me for compensation yet.
What do you know?

Tortie

Forum Donor
I already compensated for Jimbob54's burnt headphones. And he's happy. No other guy has come to me for compensation yet.
What do you know?

That's good to know. When I scrolled through the thread a few ago the initial comments from Jimbob54 and others indicated, that as a matter of policy, no compensation for damaged headphones would be forthcoming.

Canuck57

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Still waiting for my replacement L30 to arrive from Shenzhen audio, supposedly it has been shipped.

eleven99

Hi,
I’m a newbie, who recently bought moondrop starfields as my entry to improved listening! I have have settled on adding sundaras next. Most reviewers say an amp is necessary for the sundaras, my questions;

1. I don’t listen loud therefore do I even need an amp, will I be able to hear an audible difference in music quality between pc/iPhone by adding an L30 without abx testing for hours?
2. If yes I need an amp, can I reduce the cost of the dac by going with the apple usbc dac solution. It is only 1v, will this cripple the output/sound quality of l30 or will 1v still provide sufficient power for sundara?

thanks! I have no where to test this gear in NZ so it’s difficult to know what is needed and what is not, given sundara as are usd350 it seems odd to spend usd300 on the e30/l30 combo if I don’t need to!

dgnzcn

I wanted the beginning of serial number for L30 from Shenzhenaudio Store (from aliexpress) said 2101+ and I ordered the E30 + L30 set a few minutes ago.

I hope it was a good choice compared to the ALC S1200A audio output on the mainboard.

Veri

Master Contributor
I wanted the beginning of serial number for L30 from Shenzhenaudio Store (from aliexpress) said 2101+ and I ordered the E30 + L30 set a few minutes ago.

I hope it was a good choice compared to the ALC S1200A audio output on the mainboard.
I'm positive it'll be a solid upgrade.

jrfinkel

Hi,
I’m a newbie, who recently bought moondrop starfields as my entry to improved listening! I have have settled on adding sundaras next. Most reviewers say an amp is necessary for the sundaras, my questions;

While I cannot answer your immediate questions, may I suggest that you check out programs such as "Equalizer APO" and use it to apply the specific parametric filters as listed here: Headphone Presets. When I did this, the improvement in the sound of the Sundaras was jaw-dropping. I'm using the Topping E30 and L30 and I could not be happier since I discovered these filters. Being a newbie myself, it took me a while to figure out what the hell I was doing and how the software worked. But once I did, I had to look for my jaw, which had rolled under the desk.

I learned about this from Amir's discussion that can be found here.

Last edited:

escalibur

yes, the new one will look very much the same.
Thanks!

Has anyone here shared a photo of 2012 internals? I'm to lazy to open mine. :)

viperaberus

Got replacement. Unfortunately it's not as nicely build as original unit, because volume knob is not perfectly parallel to unit front. Fortunately it seems to be fully fixed as there is a pin on the rear of the PCB.
What really pissed me off was DHL. I got taxed, what's OK, it just happens sometimes, but on top of that they also charged me about 20 USD (as much as tax itself) as their customs clearence fee. Post charges extra 5 USD in the worst case. Shipping was also quite slow, as the package spend few days in Leipzig and than again about a week in Warsaw. JohnYang1997 please don't use them when shipping something to Poland.

companyja

oh don't even worry about DHL mate, the Fedex IP package from china from February 9th just today entered my country after a nice week vacation in Japan and a nice week long European trip to Germany, France and Belgium. And I'm gonna pay out the ass for this amazing 1-3 business day delivery (great joke).

sotiridaf

Hi guys

I search for a 15v ac/ac for my faulty L30. What do you suggest ? A normal priced of 15€ will do the job?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When it is an AC/AC adapter with the correct voltage (15VAC) and current rating (current rating may also be somewhat higher) and has the correct plug... yes.
An adapter outputting a DC voltage can NOT be used.
It is only a transforrmer, some transformers can have (thermal) fuses inside.

Last edited:

jannek

As John stated somewhere here other power supplies than original are not recommended. You still should have guarantee, so ask for a replacement.

sotiridaf

As John stated somewhere here other power supplies than original are not recommended. You still should have guarantee, so ask for a replacement.

I have the replacement , i just want to use the faulty L30 as a preamp for a maratz cd player... So even a ac/ac 15v 1a might not do the job?

sotiridaf

When it is an AC/AC adapter with the correct voltage (15VAC) and current rating (current rating may also be higher) and has the correct plug... yes.
An adapter outputting a DC voltage can NOT be used.

I might buy one. Thank you!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have the replacement , i just want to use the faulty L30 as a preamp for a maratz cd player... So even a ac/ac 15v 1a might not do the job?

hmmm acc. to the rules that original amp should have been disposed of.

Besides when it is faulty it wouldn't work. I suspect you mean it is a still operational pre-2012 L30.

Top Bottom