• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is your ideal integrated amplifier?

OP
curiouspeter

curiouspeter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Whats the general consensus for when it's better to buy separate pre and power? with $10k budget, $15k etc?

It really depends. Different brands have different ideas about this. In many markets, integrated amplifiers are simply called amplifiers.

In many parts of the US, $1M will buy a 3000 sqft house. In some places like Hong Kong, the same amount will barely get you a 300 sqft apartment. When there is such a disparity on how space is valued, one an expect diverse views on how space should be used.

Integrated amplifiers are more space efficient. They may be less powerful but smaller spaces also need less amplification.

It follows that you can find more interesting integrated products from Asian brands like Teac/Esoteric, Technics, etc.

JEarle

Forum Donor
In many parts of the US, $1M will buy a 3000 sqft house. In some places like Hong Kong, the same amount will barely get you a 300 sqft apartment. When there is such a disparity on how space is valued, one an expect diverse views on how space should be used.

In a majority of the US 300k will buy you a 3000 sqft house :D

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
In many markets, integrated amplifiers are simply called amplifiers.

What markets? You're making that up I'm afraid.

They have been integrated amplifiers ever since the tube years when console preamplifiers and tube power amplifiers merged into one box. In the early years they were referred to by companies like Marantz as "Console Stereo Amplifers". By the 1970s every brand referred to single box units as integrated amplifiers and separates or pre/powers. Simple.

HK toyed with calling their integrateds 'pre/main' at one point for a short time.

Early Marantz 30 (the combining of the console (the controls) and the amplifier into a Console Stereo Amplifier)
1614561533368.png

Current model 30 (integrated is written on it)
1614561593754.png

OP
curiouspeter

curiouspeter

What markets? You're making that up I'm afraid.

They have been integrated amplifiers ever since the tube years when console preamplifiers and tube power amplifiers merged into one box. In the early years they were referred to by companies like Marantz as "Console Stereo Amplifers". By the 1970s every brand referred to single box units as integrated amplifiers and separates or pre/powers. Simple.

HK toyed with calling their integrateds 'pre/main' at one point for a short time.

Early Marantz 30 (the combining of the console (the controls) and the amplifier into a Console Stereo Amplifier)
View attachment 115540

Current model 30 (integrated is written on it)
View attachment 115541

Example:

https://www.rega.co.uk/products/amplifiers

JSmith

Master Contributor
Isn't it better to have it done pre-DAC?
I'd suggest a DSP that down-samples to 48Hz (looking at you minidsp) to process is undesirable when feeding it a true high res audio file due to the decimation process. The upsample from there or in the DAC is simply zero stuffed.

JSmith

OP
curiouspeter

curiouspeter

I'd suggest a DSP that down-samples to 48Hz (looking at you minidsp) to process is undesirable when feeding it a true high res audio file due to the decimation process. The upsample from there or in the DAC is simply zero stuffed.

JSmith
I have settled on relatively simple parametric EQ done on the Roon side. The sampling rate is kept and 64-bit floats are used.

I don't even do convolution. An 8-band PEQ is good enough for room correction.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
OP
curiouspeter

curiouspeter

Overseas

Major Contributor
Can you identify my ideal integrated amp if I have the following requirements - reqs are expressed in negative terms meaning I agree the full cost to go strictly to basic function quality.
no BT
no phono
no headphones ouput
no digital inputs - no DAC
corrections are welcome but not necessarily
stereo 2x100w at 4ohm is ok
1000 USD budget more or less
new

No problem if the gear has some of those, but not necessarily.
So what is best/ideal in these terms on the market ? Thanks.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Can you identify my ideal integrated amp if I have the following requirements - reqs are expressed in negative terms meaning I agree the full cost to go strictly to basic function quality.
no BT
no phono
no headphones ouput
new

These come to mind:

Yamaha AS-701 - Has DAC, phono, headphone out
Schiit Ragnarok - Has a good headphone amp, costs $1500

JEarle

Forum Donor
no BT
no phono
no headphones ouput
new

Rega have a range of integrateds with very few features. The Elicit-R hits your power requirements.

....they do all have phono and are probably over budget though.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Whats the general consensus for when it's better to buy separate pre and power? with $10k budget, $15k etc?
I went the other way.
I had Goldmund Phono stage, DAC, Preamp and two 600 watt monoblocs and now use an all in one unit (for almost 10 years now).
It is lighter and takes up less space and is equally audibly transparent and has a lower background noise level.
My view is that good electronics are transparent if they are powerful enough and both mine were, so no loss going to one box.
I have lots of other amps too :) so I can ring the changes if I want, but rarely do.

OP
curiouspeter

curiouspeter

no BT
no phono
no headphones ouput
new

The Teac AX-505 has a headphone out but you can just ignore it.

See if Walmart still has some for $825. List price is well over $1000.

JSmith

Master Contributor
OP
curiouspeter

curiouspeter

JSmith

Master Contributor
I think tone control is better done by DSP before hitting the DAC...
I don't disagree, but with VU meters surely tone controls and a bypass for that should be included to include the oldskool look... there is something easy about a knob too when just wanting to pop the bass down a bit without fiddling with a DSP.

JSmith

Top Bottom