• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

raif71

Major Contributor
Just visited a local audio shop here, 2102xxxx L30 already arrive in malaysia. :)
I think you misunderstood. I did not get my replacement yet and I didn't buy my L30 from this particular shop but as it is, the 2102xxxx batch is already selling at the shop and also people who got replacement L30 from that shop will be getting the 2102xxxx units. :)

I asked the seller to send the SN picture just for confirmation and it is not the 2102xxxx version but still the 2012xxxx version

1614246334475.png

So, I have to apologize for this unfortunate and inexcusable boo boo . :facepalm:

life.exeMPLAR

Hi, how long would topping l30 last and how often do you turn it off?
I heard capacitors have pretty finite lifetime

threni

Major Contributor
Hi, how long would topping l30 last and how often do you turn it off?

Everything has a finite lifetime. Good news though - I've just got back from the Oracle and she says yours will last until August 2027.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Lifetime is given at max. temperature which it will never reach.
Expect lifespans of 60,000 to 100,000 hours of continuous usage.
That's 7 to 12 years.
When you use it 10 hours a day it will even be longer.
Crap capacitors will not last this long and those with DC voltages near their rating or the ones (deliberately?) mounted near heat sinks also won't.

life.exeMPLAR

Everything has a finite lifetime. Good news though - I've just got back from the Oracle and she says yours will last until August 2027.
I wanted to know how long I can expect it to work and just wondering if it is better to turn it off at night

dgnzcn

Lifetime is given at max. temperature which it will never reach.
Expect lifespans of 60,000 to 100,000 hours of continuous usage.
That's 7 to 12 years.
When you use it 10 hours a day it will even be longer.
Crap capacitors will not last this long and those with DC voltages near their rating or the ones (deliberately?) mounted near heat sinks also won't.
It was minimum 6.84 years with continious usage.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It was minimum 6.84 years with continuous usage.

O.K. you get a few more months out of it...
Most likely the device itself will have been replaced by the next best thing by then. :)

life.exeMPLAR

If you turn it off at night or when not in use, its service life will be longer.
I get it but then there is there other edge of the sword or something
I heard that electronics don't like being switched off and on because of inrush current and not being at their temperature

dgnzcn

I get it but then there is there other edge of the sword or something
I heard that electronics don't like being switched off and on because of inrush current and not being at their temperature
I don't think it's right to turn it on and off too often, so if it's not used too often, it might turn off.

life.exeMPLAR

okey so If I use it everyday for about 6 hours, should I bother switching it off when I go to bed?
the ground pin is the first visible soldered thing touching the case?
Do I measure how many ohms are between rca ground and screw? Is this all? (2012)

dgnzcn

okey so If I use it everyday for about 6 hours, should I bother switching it off when I go to bed?
Do I measure how many ohms are between rca ground and screw? Is this all? (2012)
I think the question to ask is when will you turn it off and on again after 6 hours of use.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
I sure do, not comfortable leaving all kinds of stuff on.

life.exeMPLAR

I sure do, not comfortable leaving all kinds of stuff on.
I have just one dac and amp so it's not a big problem for me
I don't know If It is better for the device itself to be turned off during night

Last edited:

kkeretic

I have just one dac and amp so it's not a big problem for me
I don't know If It is better for the device itself to be turned off during night

Count that the L30 AC transformer consumes few watts (~3W if I remember correctly) even when the L30 is turned off. I am using a power extension socket to turn off my audio stuff (dac, amplifiers...) at once when I no longer plan to use it, especially overnight. And I am doing this for decades. Why waste electricity?

Upped

Just got my replacement L30 yesterday 2012 serial number. got the tracking number on February 5th package didn't start moving till the 19th, checked the rca outer ring and the backplate screw with a multimeter to make sure it has continuity which it does so far so good :)
Also runs allot cooler then my 2009 serial one this one barely feels warm when you touch it.

Top Bottom