• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PlayStation 5 audio capabilities

flyzipper

Sorry if I'm missing something here, but why would anyone want to connect a PS5 to an audiophile 2ch DAC in any case?
I do plan to get a PS5 when Gran Turismo 7 comes out in 2021 (and after the first wave of usual hardware bug fixes etc.), however, audio-wise I'll be taking advantage of the PS5's 3D HD audio delivered as multichannel LPCM via my LG C9 TV's "enhanced Audio Return Channel" (eARC) to my pre-pro AVP. Why would you need any other kind of connection from this device?

I'll bite... because some people game at a desk, on a monitor, with a 2ch DAC that also works for their PC gaming sessions, with a quality headphone amp, and high quality headphones... all of which used to work before optical was dropped from the consoles. :)

Not everyone games in their living room on a TV and AVR.

Does anybody know, whether the ps5 supports 7.1 multichannel audio via usb?
Does the sony 3d (for headphones) audio also apply to other media than games and how about it in movie mode with blu-rays?
Thank you!

BARDUKE

Does anybody know, whether the ps5 supports 7.1 multichannel audio via usb?
If you are talking about headphones, I believe they can only do "virtual surround sound" (VSS) since there are only 2 speakers.

Does the sony 3d (for headphones) audio also apply to other media than games and how about it in movie mode with blu-rays?
Thank you!
I would guess "no" since the 3D audio is specifically encoded on games, and other media probably doesn't use the same encoding.

I know, that a headphone can only output 2 channels but with a multi channel capable dac like the sxfi amp or creative x3 you can downmix a 7.1 audio signal to 2 channels for headphones in an eventually better way. At least I want to test it, but I assume, the ps5 does not support 7.1 via usb just like the ps4.

Viper Necklampy

I'm being pretty scared about losing hi-end audio for going with Playstation 5. In fact i can't upgrade to PS5 right now without great audio.
Will so DAC's support good quality audio via USB, like expensive Gustard X16, D90 or SU-9 and such? Instead of going with HDMI-I2S splitters that will degrate the sound or cut the SINAD and such measurements to disgrace.

I'm at a point i think i may open a thread about, soon enough, i don't want to be desperate about spending thousands in audio and then cannot use hi-end audio on my main passion- Playstation 5, which every game i own of PS4 can be played in it.

Last edited:

Morla

Forum Donor
iirc UAC2 is not supported and the DACs you mentioned all are UAC2 so I would assume they do not work on PS5. I can tell you for sure as soon as mine has arrived.

Morla

Forum Donor
Hm Fiio K3 has optical out and a mechanical switch for usb 1 or usb 2. That might work?

sojer2005

Hi, Have you noticed that USB audio output from PS5 is very noisy? I have connected USB out to my Hegel H120 amp (DAC) and the hiss is extremely loud on high volume. I wanted to use wired headphones instead of my wireless headset but the hiss is very annoying....

Last edited:

bboris77

Hi, Have you noticed that USB audio output from PS5 is very noisy? I have connected USB out to my Hegel H120 amp (DAC) and the hiss is extremely loud on high volume. I wanted to you wired headphones instead of my wireless headset but the hiss is very annoying....

My PS5 is dead quiet via USB. I have it connected to the Atom DAC downgraded to UAC1 mode.

sojer2005

So maybe Hegel's USB input is a piece of crap? ... I would like to try Optical in, would Behringer U-CONTROL UCA222 be well suited for PS5 USB audio out? Would such device eliminate potential noise from usb? But I dont know if PS5 would recognize it?

Last edited:

bboris77

So maybe Hegel's USB input is a piece of crap? ... I would like to try Optical in, would Behringer U-CONTROL UCA222 be well suited for PS5 USB audio out? Would such device eliminate potential noise from usb? But I dont know if PS5 would recognize it?
Unless it’s a UAC1-only device, PS5 will not recognize it.

sojer2005

Ok, I have made little experiment with PCM2707 USB DAC which have also toslink out. I have connected toslink to Hegel amp DAC and no more hiss from PS5 USB out ;)
so PS5 USB -> PCM2707 -> toslink -> Hegel amp/dac -> clear sound without any hiss

Monstieur

Franseven

Hi, Have you noticed that USB audio output from PS5 is very noisy? I have connected USB out to my Hegel H120 amp (DAC) and the hiss is extremely loud on high volume. I wanted to use wired headphones instead of my wireless headset but the hiss is very annoying....
The hiss means that your house eletrical system wiring is not properly grounded. You need a usb ground loop isolator adapter or a proper electrician work done.

sojer2005

The hiss means that your house eletrical system wiring is not properly grounded. You need a usb ground loop isolator adapter or a proper electrician work done.

Hi, but the PS5 is not grounded. The plug has only two pins. The PS5 is actually quite a powerful computer, so maybe the graphics card / processor is generating this noise. I don't know ... currently I use a USB to optical converter and the sound is good, no hissing.

CitySinz

Attachments

• DEB34188-D61D-4BBD-9250-13C40AA531F3.jpeg
    DEB34188-D61D-4BBD-9250-13C40AA531F3.jpeg
    50.6 KB · Views: 88
Top Bottom