• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophoolery humour thread

JSmith

Master Contributor

ta240

Major Contributor
The Fog Lifter. It also makes your wallet lighter.

and makes my head hurt:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
AudioQuest’s Fog Lifters work so well because of how effectively they address a significant source of misinformation—Radio-Frequency Noise coupled from the floor into audio and AC cables.

A carpet or wood floor, not to mention a concrete floor, might not at first seem like a source of RF Noise, but in fact RF energy is all around us and always wants to go wherever it can find a lower energy state.

Think of lightning or static electricity, especially in winter. You don’t think of yourself as an energy source, but dry heated air can make it painfully obvious that there’s an energy differential between you and the things you touch. That’s not an exact analogy, but very close.

Fog Lifters significantly reduce RF coupling, whether with the floor, or due to misdirected efforts to isolate cable with stands or clamps that themselves have too much mass and are sources of RF Noise.

A few inches or centimeters might not seem important, but as with light coming from a bulb, the energy falls off exponentially. A few inches or centimeters makes a big difference—which translates into a lower noise-floor and less compromise to, and distortion in, attached active circuits.

If you’re thinking “my cables are shielded, so there is no noise problem,” you’re partially correct—but at the high frequencies we’re bathed in thanks to cellular, Wi-Fi, etc., conventional shielding does not stop RF Noise from being capacitively coupled into signal-carrying conductors—not to mention that the shield itself is drained to a ground plane, which is in a sense as sensitive as the signal because “signal” is the difference between signal and ground.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, I know of light bulbs and I'm familiar with static electricity so this seems to be on the up and up. :facepalm:

I'm just going to suspend the cables from nylon thread like we did model airplanes when I was a kid.

cursive

Forum Donor
The Fog Lifter. It also makes your wallet lighter.

View attachment 111637
Man that's a good find lol. Shame on audioquest, I knew they were into cable BS, but didn't know they went this far. $150 for a set of 8, and they're made of plastic, I can only imagine how little it actually costs them to come up with, and manufacture this crap.

magicscreen

Motto: In a proper double blind test there is no difference!

Audiophile:
index.php

ASR fan:
serious-senior-bald-man-listening-600w-263064374.jpg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
OK, I could've rationalized putting this in any of the humo(u)r threads at ASR -- but I decided to wax ironic (and/or sardonic) & put it here. ;)

1613582111946.png

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
but wait, there's more!
Just had an email from Music Direct, from which I learned something new to me.
They had a listing of "tower speakers" -- it was quite a list. Down near (at) the bottom, I espied...
1613607642972.png

Well, doggies! Who knew that the Heresy was a tower?!?
A little, squat tower, I suppose.

I am so happy that we have the internet.

:cool:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I think that's the first time I've encountered that word outside a crossword puzzle.
I learned it from crossword puzzles in grad school* :)

* we used to occasionally "crowdsource" the NYT crossword puzzle in Advanced Biochemistry, first year grad school. Now, mind you, I like biochemistry -- and I am a biochemist, but one's attention does tend to wander, especially early on a Monday morning (in 1981). ;)

NgtFlyer

151769882_10223625961949861_470471914043759867_n.jpg

From the post where this was found: 'Nothing sounds better musically than total insanity...because then everything is "special"! '

Helicopter

Major Contributor

ta240

Major Contributor
but wait, there's more!
Just had an email from Music Direct, from which I learned something new to me.
They had a listing of "tower speakers" -- it was quite a list. Down near (at) the bottom, I espied...
View attachment 113230

Well, doggies! Who knew that the Heresy was a tower?!?
A little, squat tower, I suppose.

I am so happy that we have the internet.

:cool:

Okay, now my brain hurts trying to figure out what we'd call a short, freestanding speaker if it isn't a tower and doesn't go on a stand. I'm a bit worried we are just body shaming the Klipsch.

Top Bottom