• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem AVM60 Review (AV Processor)

DuncanTodd

The point is whether it's worth buying something flogged as higher end and priced accordingly and doesn't deliver what it promises when measured (audible or not) or one that doesn't make such claims and does just as well (and sometimes better) for a fraction of the price.

respice finem

Major Contributor
...May be XT is really much less capable?
That's what I think too, my mistake was not to pay attention to the differences when buying the AVR (rookie error, I only had oldschool stereo gear before). With the AM, it is much better, but if you add the prices, I should have bought the right AVR in the first place, or stayed with stereo.

respice finem

Major Contributor
The point is whether it's worth buying something flogged as higher end and priced accordingly or one that doesn't make such claims and does just as well (and sometimes better) for a fraction of the price.
No, seems to be the obvious answer, unless for "prestige buyers" and such.

DuncanTodd

No, seems to be the obvious answer, unless for "prestige buyers" and such.
Exactly. Take two products and one preforms better at a similar or lower cost (audible or not) and both meet the required needs (aesthetics, features etc). It's a no-brainer for any pragmatic/practical person which to get.

Haskil

Forum Donor
My Good ! So bad...

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a RX_V 373,in a TV room, but essentially the same receiver as yours, but a few years older.

I avoided AVRs in General, reading just how horrible they sound, on several audiophile forums.

After hearing this unit at a friends, I was perplexed as none of the shortcomings were really audible. Im sure it measures quite average/mediocre, but when listening, it sounds absolutely fine to me. Even with 2 channel music, using a sub, it has clarity, clean and flat response, and no noise or distortion that "Stands out" when listening. It is a bit limited in overall power, probably not the best for demanding 4 ohm speakser, but it is the lowest priced unit they make.....I mean, it far exceeded what I expected.
I'm sure both would get a headless panther on noise alone, which is the only problem I occasionally run into because I use a piano VST with a notoriously quiet output (Garritan CFX Concert Grand). Add Dirac Live (which lowers volume by another 12dB) and .. well... It doesn't sound pretty unless I fiddle with the digital output signal to bring it closer to full scale.

That's a good example of how something that isn't a problem if you just slot in a CD/BluRay and feed it with usual line level signals but becomes an issue if you deviate from the traditional use case. I think that's also why it is difficult to just flat out state "Yeah aspect X measured badly, but do not worry it won't be audible." because there are just so many scenarios in which such an amp might find itself in.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Exactly. Take two products and one preforms better at a similar or lower cost (audible or not) and both meet the required needs (aesthetics, features etc). It's a no-brainer for any pragmatic/practical person which to get.
Apart from this, I cannot help but to think, a part of the problem is these advanced AVRs are trying too hard to be "all things to all people". This is like if I wanted to build a coupe, a pickup and an ATV and a racing car all in one. I get a "jack of all trades and master of none" even if I would make the product crazily expensive.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Apart from this, I cannot help but to think, a part of the problem is these advanced AVRs are trying too hard to be "all things to all people". This is like if I wanted to build a coupe, a pickup and an ATV and a racing car all in one. I get a "jack of all trades and master of none" even if I would make the product crazily expensive.
The design and marketing of these AV receivers is determined by the budget allowed for the various stages of development, design, manufacturing, wholesaling and retailing. Because they are a mish mash of various technologies a swiss army knife if you will they will be more expensive to bring to market. By the time the retailers take their 28%-38% markup, the wholesaler gets their needs met and the manufacturer and then back to the designer(s), software companies and finally to the original company that filled the order there is not much budget remaining. I'm surprised some of the products exist at all. :D

Francis Vaughan

Forum Donor
For some reason I'm getting a strong Tonewinner feeling from those red boards, same also with the newer AVM70/90 models.
The Anthem AVRs are made in Vietnam, so maybe not Tonewinner. I would imagine they have gone to one of the big Vietnamese manufacturing companies with the whole design. This seems to be the sweet spot for Vietnamese manufacture. But I do suspect that the digital design isn't done in house by Anthem. I'm betting that the amplifier design and pure analog stuff is in house, but the rest is outsourced. This would include the software. No good reason for the feeling, but just a hunch.

respice finem

Major Contributor
So they're probably afraid to try new concepts, because they might end up broke? That makes sense at first sight, but exactly this might be their demise in the long term. After 1-2 lackluster AVRs the customer might not be keen to buy the third one any more... This was the demise of some companies of the pre-HDMI era, they clinged to the old ways until the market was gone for them, somewhat like shooting oneself for fear of migraine. :rolleyes: Who knows, maybe we will see a return to stereo? After the renaissance of LP, I might believe that.

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
As I now see it, I think it becomes a difference between some saying, "It measures so bad it just has to be audible and horrible" versus, "I have heard it and it is ACTUALLY audibly bad before I saw the test results"

I see a "Bit" of self fulling prophesy, in that almost instantly something is horrible AFTER reading over the measurements, but not horrible to those that own it or have not seen the measurements.

I am not certain, the bad measurements equate to bad sound, as easily as some are slagging this unit and others.

But like you, I TRULY value the measurements a lot, and love what is going on and the work done here!!
I love to see things that are low priced measure great and so on, but just feel maybe audibility is being sacrificed a bit.
The majority of people on any of these av message boards, have no clue what is good sound or not. They buy what they perceive is good and then rave about it. Then there's the "I don't want to look like an idiot" argument. Who wants to admit they just spent $3k on a product that doesn't beat a $700 Denon? Very few are willing to say they bought something without due diligence. And just like the NAD AVR owners who fall back on "But it has DIRAC!", Anthem owners fall back on "Its got ARC!"

Lastly, how are most of these owners going to hear any issues, when the vast majority of setups I see are in rooms with untreated drywall and hard floors. To get off tangent, a friend came over about a ten years ago to compare his older Polk speakers to my Paradigms because he was ready to upgrade. Once he hooked up his Polks he was just floored - "They don't sound nearly this good over at my place." He never did do the comparison, he started researching how to treat his room.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Denon 3700H connected to an aging Sunfire Cinema (200 WPC) amp. That will be replaced in the spring by an AT AT525NC NCore amp.
It is not uncommon for streaming to be 2.0 sources so the performance of surround up-mixing becomes important but I found it lackluster, not much better the PL-II.

This is strange because the RMC-1 is fantastic at up-mixing 2.0 content and also uses Dolby Surround. It is so good that very often, I am surprised that I am not listening to a discrete surround track.

Perhaps, there is something to processors that use symmetrical DACs and circuitry.
It may be enlightening to include the center channel in processor testing since this represents 80% of the sound reproduction in HT.

- Rich

eycatcher

If this unit was measured with ARC(Anthem Room Correction) OFF in the setup ( which is not the factory default) the performance would have been better as the digital signal would not be processed and truncated (even though no correction applied).

Another caveat with an analog signal is that the factory default settings apply a sound mode to converts the 2ch source to multichannel output rather than using NONE (minimal processing) as the default sound mode or defaulting to Disable Process Analog Audio Input.

Not sure why Anthem defaults to that although most users run the software to setup the unit and would result in what was measured. At least there is a way to get slightly better performance before ARC is introduced.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If this unit was measured with ARC(Anthem Room Correction) OFF in the setup ( which is not the factory default) the performance would have been better as the digital signal would not be processed and truncated (even though no correction applied).

Another caveat with an analog signal is that the factory default settings apply a sound mode to converts the 2ch source to multichannel output rather than using NONE (minimal processing) as the default sound mode or defaulting to Disable Process Analog Audio Input.

Not sure why Anthem defaults to that although most users run the software to setup the unit and would result in what was measured. At least there is a way to get slightly better performance before ARC is introduced.

I believe Amir typically would make sure processing is off when using analog inputs. Also, again, the results look similar to hometheaterhifi's, when you make allowance/adjustments to the figures for the difference in output voltages. HTHI used 2 V XLR for the analog input test and varied output voltages for the HDMI input tests; and they did use "Direct mode".

Dmitri

Forum Donor
I went backwards and re-read all the posts and stumbled again, (as is my knowledge level and “expertise” in comprehending measurements) through Amirm’s very thorough assessment of the AVM 60. The whole time, my biggest issue was why? Lots of reasons of course, many I don’t follow...but inadequate shielding with simply too much in one box and poor DAC implementation are obvious flaws in almost all AVRs. But AVP’s should be a simpler animal without having to deal with the integrated amps. A few mentioned the possibility, but Francis Vaughan went right to the point:
Given this appears to be an MRX1120 with the amplifiers removed (for a saving of a measly $500) something is clearly odd. It appears broken in some manner. Someone has managed an own goal somewhere in the execution, messing things up. It should be much better than this. Given the complexity of these devices it could be anywhere. But quality process, QA, or QC is clearly not working for them.
Why is it worse than the 1120? By all rights, it should not be.

and another referral to a defective unit...
Did someone send Amir a messed up unit to review?- does anyone else find the timing of the AVM 60, a 4 year old product's review unusual just 2 days after its successor the AVM 70's release this week? There are no coincidences in Tech. These smaller HT companies rely on us to be fair in our assessments or they won't survive long enough to innovate the entire industry.
Aside from the “conspiracy theory” aspect of Upgradeitus’s post, obviously the unit does have issues. There is obviously no nefarious plot here, but both toslink and coaxial outputs are definitely not functioning.

When I call myself an Anthem “Semi Fan Boy”...it’s because I do like my MRX 510 (not 710 as I previously incorrectly stated) especially because of the success I have had with ARC’s implementation. But it was a long road getting there, with repeated back and forth’s with Anthem and finally a replacement receiver to fix an oscillating low level (not 60Hz) hum and a jittery screen display. The second one was not perfect, but better and I kept it.
I absolutely trust Amirm’s measurements. Even a novice like me can see the quality and scrutiny that goes into his reports. But, given my QC issues...and the experiences that others have had with Anthem and other “boutique” AVR/ AVP products, I can’t help but feel that this particular unit may not be representative of a properly functioning AVM60. There’s a lot of shade being thrown at Anthem here. Certainly for QC issues that’s fair. For not living up to the quality dedicated DAC’s that’s fair...but again...it’s a different animal with a lot more going with different requirements and expectations. But to call it a “stinking mass of garbage” (my paraphrase) when it’s likely we have a sick unit to start with seems a bit much.

Like I said...”semi fan boy” but my concerns here would apply to any and all reviews if I felt the tested unit in question was suffering from some defect that might affect the numbers.

Thoughts? Have I missed, misinterpreted something? My tech understanding is pretty miserable, so it’s likely...but that’s why I’m here. :)

BostonJack

Editor
Happy Sunday everyone, in 2018, I bought this model convinced of its goodness after reading its test carried out by a well-known online newspaper !! As soon as I connected to my system (it replaced a very quiet McIntosh MX119), in XLR only mode, I realized that from the tweeters of my B&W 802D2, in the absence of a music signal, a noise could be heard (2.5 meters away) strange, like the audio of a digital communication !! In short, after long phone calls with the dealer and a month of wasted time, I get a second copy that is used and with cosmetic defects, but which continues to have the defect complained of in the first AVR, so after dozens of phone calls and losing the 10% of the initial value I get a refund of the expense made. ANTHEM .... never see us again !! Now for the HT part I have a MARANTZ AV8805, very quiet (as it normally should be) and of which I am very happy. I am attaching an image of how the plant was in 2018.View attachment 111012
Boy, those mcIntosh big blue/green screens are soothing, aren't they. I need a sugar momma to help me buy them. Maybe in my next life.

eycatcher

I believe Amir typically would make sure processing is off when using analog inputs. Also, again, the results look similar to hometheaterhifi's, when you make allowance/adjustments to the figures for the difference in output voltages. HTHI used 2 V XLR for the analog input test and varied output voltages for the HDMI input tests; and they did use "Direct mode".
I'm doubtful that he disabled them as they are not clearly defined as that and you have to configure each input manually to do so. It would require more time to do that and test different scenarios. He indicated in the beginning of this review that he only ran the factory defaults. I'm sure he changed any other setting he would have mentioned it.

Anthem defaults to process room correction on the digital and analog signals by default and 2 channel analog signals are default to upmix which is not an equivalent to direct mode as there is no "Direct Mode" on Anthem. One would have to have knowledge of the product to defeat it. I pointed this out to Amir when he tested the MRX520 and he retested it later in the review and obtained better results. And he typically does not test analog inputs or unbalanced outputs on this or all AVR/preamp reviews. Nor does he look to show the best use case. Typically he leans to showing the worst case scenario of performance which is contrary to other reviewers like HTHI. It would be interesting if he still had it to see more thorough testing since its possible it could outperform the fan favorite Denon in it's factory default config which is audyssey processing off.

Last edited:

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Conclusions
Based on above measurements, we have one broken AV Processor. Performance across the board struggles to clear 15 bits yet we have this marketing information from the company:
View attachment 110995

We don't have anything like that here. Assuming that "A/D" is meant to be "D/A," the 106 dB must be some DAC chip spec, not actual system.

Needless to say, I can't recommend the Anthem AVP60 Processor.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Appreciate any donations using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

It may have been mentioned but the "Premium A/D converters with 106 DB signal to noise ratio" statement is correct. Anthem has no all-analog path, all analog inputs are digitized and then processed. All modern processors do this, but other processors (Marantz, Emotiva, etc.) have an option apply trims and volume control on analog sources.

- Rich

symphara

I went backwards and re-read all the posts and stumbled again, (as is my knowledge level and “expertise” in comprehending measurements) through Amirm’s very thorough assessment of the AVM 60. The whole time, my biggest issue was why? Lots of reasons of course, many I don’t follow...but inadequate shielding with simply too much in one box and poor DAC implementation are obvious flaws in almost all AVRs. But AVP’s should be a simpler animal without having to deal with the integrated amps. A few mentioned the possibility, but Francis Vaughan went right to the point:

Aside from the “conspiracy theory” aspect of Upgradeitus’s post, obviously the unit does have issues. There is obviously no nefarious plot here, but both toslink and coaxial outputs are definitely not functioning.

When I call myself an Anthem “Semi Fan Boy”...it’s because I do like my MRX 510 (not 710 as I previously incorrectly stated) especially because of the success I have had with ARC’s implementation. But it was a long road getting there, with repeated back and forth’s with Anthem and finally a replacement receiver to fix an oscillating low level (not 60Hz) hum and a jittery screen display. The second one was not perfect, but better and I kept it.
I absolutely trust Amirm’s measurements. Even a novice like me can see the quality and scrutiny that goes into his reports. But, given my QC issues...and the experiences that others have had with Anthem and other “boutique” AVR/ AVP products, I can’t help but feel that this particular unit may not be representative of a properly functioning AVM60. There’s a lot of shade being thrown at Anthem here. Certainly for QC issues that’s fair. For not living up to the quality dedicated DAC’s that’s fair...but again...it’s a different animal with a lot more going with different requirements and expectations. But to call it a “stinking mass of garbage” (my paraphrase) when it’s likely we have a sick unit to start with seems a bit much.

Like I said...”semi fan boy” but my concerns here would apply to any and all reviews if I felt the tested unit in question was suffering from some defect that might affect the numbers.

Thoughts? Have I missed, misinterpreted something? My tech understanding is pretty miserable, so it’s likely...but that’s why I’m here. :)
I think you're right. We have no reason to distrust the measurements, and we have every reason to distrust Anthem's QC.

I personally had a unit (720) for home evaluation that required three factory resets in one weekend. If you need more proof, just look at what the current AVM70 buyers are going through, it ain't pretty.

Having said that, the MRX I evaluated, bugs aside, sounded great. At the same time I was also given a Primare AV receiver for demo, and I thought it was neck-in-neck with the Anthem on sound quality, the Primare being a lot more expensive. On top of that, once you ran ARC, the Anthem was way ahead - the Primare had no room correction whatsoever. Both were far superior to my old, non-HDMI Rotel, which wasn't a bad receiver, and both were sonically superior to the Marantz 7010 I ended up buying.

Plus, I thought ARC did a much better job at room correction (compared to Audyssey). One of the tests I did was to play the first ~10 minutes from "Drive" (the movie with Gosling). There's the moment when the police helicopter hovers over the bridge where they hide, and, with ARC enabled, the Anthem delivered the sensation of having a helicopter in my living room as realistically as I've heard.

So it may not measure that well, but it could still sound pretty good, especially if properly configured.

Last edited:

ex audiophile

Forum Donor

I have to wonder about this unit as well. I'm not tech savvy either but I have on a number of occasions connected a Node 2i to the coax inputs (and optical) of my AVM60 in order to stream Spotify and the system performs beautifully. If the coax/optical inputs of Amir's test sample are not working I would argue that all results should be viewed with skepticism until another sample is tested.

Top Bottom