• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

ABall

Forum Donor
Ian does some really cool stuff for Pi, I've been very tempted in the past, pretty sure another company does one of these boards too. Cant remember off the top of my head..

gofry

Now that I can listen to the dac normally (factory cabling still, probably tomorrow I’m going to have better rca and power cables)
Setup macbook pro-viablue usb-dac-yamaha rx-a2080
Vs macbook pro-viablue ethernet upnp-yamaha rx-a2080

the gustard is pretty detailed and yet good to listen, absolute not tiring. The sound is perfectly transparent and flat. Flat in every good and bad sense.
Weight is definitely missing from the mid-region, basses are tight -a bit less than only with the yamaha but more detailed-, treble is not overextended at all, just about right.
instrument separation is there, the dac is fast, but the story is more 2d than 3d. Soundstage has width a pretty good one but I can’t say the same thing about depth unfortunately :(

So I can relate to the fact that not much of a jump from e30 probably :(

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Now that I can listen to the dac normally (factory cabling still, probably tomorrow I’m going to have better rca and power cables)
Setup macbook pro-viablue usb-dac-yamaha rx-a2080
Vs macbook pro-viablue ethernet upnp-yamaha rx-a2080

the gustard is pretty detailed and yet good to listen, absolute not tiring. The sound is perfectly transparent and flat. Flat in every good and bad sense.
Weight is definitely missing from the mid-region, basses are tight -a bit less than only with the yamaha but more detailed-, treble is not overextended at all, just about right.
instrument separation is there, the dac is fast, but the story is more 2d than 3d. Soundstage has width a pretty good one but I can’t say the same thing about depth unfortunately :(

So I can relate to the fact that not much of a jump from e30 probably :(
I suppose you are doing pure direct listening comparisons?

What songs do you use to judge 2d vs 3d capabilities?

One thing I have noticed with my Marantz AV8801 is that I don't like the sound of DAC going through it. So, I am curious about your Yamaha's transparency..

Last edited:

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor

gofry

I suppose you are doing pure direct listening comparisons?

What songs do you use to judge 2d vs 3d capabilities?

One thing I have noticed with my Marantz AV8801 is that I don't like the sound of DAC going through it. So, I am curious about your Yamaha's transparency..
Oh for sure on lab test it will fail, like the 1080 did. X3600 measured perectly...bought it, hated it both w music and movies.
Yamaha to me feels like home compared to it.
Everything has science and arts and this time science did not justify something that was pleasant for me
re 1080: nope they are not the same. But trust me X3600 measures top notch and to me it was totally the same feeling as gustard. Ears vs SINAD. Let's not go there , because I know I'll end up: you need your hearing examined. I just have written down what I've heard. One of my friend has an A18 with a denon 2500 NE and compared the a18 mqa to it and to a node2i with modded power supply, and the A18 was way better than both.

Last edited:

kopczas

How long have you been using x16?

ABall

Forum Donor
Oh for sure on lab test it will fail, like the 1080 did. X3600 measured perectly...bought it, hated it both w music and movies.
Everything has science and arts and this time science did not justify something that was pleasant for me
re 1080: nope they are not the same. But trust me X3600 measures top notch and to me it was totally the same feeling as gustard. Ears vs SINAD. Let's not go there , because I know I'll end up: you need your hearing examined. I just have written down what I've heard. One of my friend has an A18 with a denon 2500 NE and compared the a18 mqa to it and to a node2i with modded power supply, and the A18 was way better than both.
Be carefull, the double blind test police will be here soon.... :D:D:D

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Not trying to say you are not hearing what you are hearing.

What I am worry about is that the Yamaha can't exhibit the full potential of the DAC.

At least for the 1080:
Pioneer RX-A1080 AVR Amplifier Analog Pure Audio Measurements.png

gofry

Thanks!

I searched for your Yamaha's measurements but only found this:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...and-measurements-of-yamaha-rx-a1080-avr.9090/

I wonder about your Yamaha transparency....as I suspect all the internal should be the same, maybe amp section more powerful?
Nope, not the same :)
Not trying to say you are not hearing what you are hearing.

What I am worry about is that the Yamaha can't exhibit the full potential of the DAC.

At least for the 1080:
View attachment 109960
Gotcha, sorry did not have time to edit my post. So yes that was my other thought process that maybe simply the amp limits the soundstage. But then it is still pretty interesting that with the internal dac, everyting is there and perfectly fine in terms of 3D and separation.

ABall

Forum Donor
But let's not judge, nothing wrong with prefering a device that has limited transparency, a lot of people like NOS in DACs because there is reduced treble.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Nope, not the same :)

Gotcha, sorry did not have time to edit my post. So yes that was my other thought process that maybe simply the amp limits the soundstage. But then it is still pretty interesting that with the internal dac, everyting is there and perfectly fine in terms of 3D and separation.
I was curious too. Thus, I looked at a1080 measurements for HDMI in (digital in) vs analog in and found that digital-in chart looks cleaner and measured better. Analog in chart looks pretty noisy in the highs. Maybe be that was what causes the 3D differences between your tests.

gofry

I was curious too. Thus, I looked at a1080 measurements for HDMI in (digital in) vs analog in and found that digital-in chart looks cleaner and measured better. Analog in chart looks pretty noisy in the highs. Maybe be that was what causes the 3D differences between your tests.
Yeah thanks :( if that's case DAC goes back, money back. no MQA but at least I'd now that's the case :(

Top Bottom