• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Arylic A50 Review (wireless amplifier)

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Helicopter

Major Contributor
@amirm I had seriously considered the Arylic A50 recently to pair a set of Klipsch speakers with my TV, after looking around I finally passed on Ayrlic because it didn't have the feature set I wanted. Feel justified from seeing this review that I did not waste my money on something I would've disliked and sounded horrible.
My recommendation is Loxjie A30 in this application.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I spent $170 on pizza and champagne for dinner tonight. No need to convince me. I am not the market for this even if it was priced according to its performance.
I hope the wine was your problem. My test for pizza is based on the Totino pizza standard. I would rather stick 1.39 Totino in the oven that eat any franchise crap.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My recommendationnis Loxjie A30 in this application.
I would love to get my hands on one for the use I have in mind but it's sold out nearly everywhere I've looked.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
As you see, THD+N is around 0.1% which is basically what I got. So our measurements are correct. Furthermore we see the watermark in the datasheet that the part is obsolete. At this point I decided to terminate the review as there are far, far better chip amps available in the same price range.

So @amirm, are you now drawing a line in the sand at ~0.14% THD+N at 5W and terminating the review for any amplifer going forward? I can see -60dB (0.1%) (the red section) as being a nice cutoff, where you can rule out further wasting of review time.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I hope the wine was your problem. My test for pizza is based on the Totino pizza standard. I would rather stick 1.39 Totino in the oven that eat any franchise crap.
Champagne was $70, pizza $55, tip $45. I figured I needed to cover a few hours of the waitress' time based on the way things looked when I picked them up.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
People seem to forget that the most common THD spec for amps is 1% (-40dB), which is what John Atkinson still uses to determine amp wattage. Next common is 0.1% (-60dB), which is about what this achieves. AVRs usually get a hair more brave and tout 0.08% (-62dB), of which I have no idea why they do this.

With the music sources and speakers typically used with this amp, I have no doubt the vast majority of customers of this product don’t hear any issues with respect to noise/distortion. I don’t like the speaker connection, but for <$200 to get AirPlay, Spotify Connect, Bluetooth, DLNA/UPNP, and use their app for (Amazon Music, Tidal, iHeartRadio, etc.), it seems like an awesome little package. Their app also seems to allow multi-device streaming. The 50W 4ohm rating however will mean home theater enthusiasts maybe shouldn’t consider it [EDIT: Looks more like 30W 4ohm actual performance].

On another note, they have a preamp with (besides other things) AirPlay and optical out, does anyone know of other ~$200 options? I see purchase help requests decently often where they want this (setup where they want to keep their amp/DAC and just add AirPlay support).

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
So @amirm, are you now drawing a line in the sand at ~0.14% THD+N at 5W and terminating the review for any amplifer going forward? I can see -60dB (0.1%) (the red section) as being a nice cutoff, where you can rule out further wasting of review time.
I think we need to consider price and alternatives, among other factors.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
People seem to forget that the most common THD spec for amps is 1% (-40dB), which is what John Atkinson still uses to determine amp wattage. Next common is 0.1% (-60dB), which is about what this achieves.

I don't think anyone "forgets" that.

0.1% was achievable in 1949 by Harold Leak's range of amplifiers.

http://44bx.com/leak/PointOne2.html

We have moved along quite a bit from there.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think anyone "forgets" that.

0.1% was achievable in 1949 by Harold Leak's range of amplifiers.

http://44bx.com/leak/PointOne2.html

We have moved along quite a bit from there.
DrOOL. Exceptionally nice layout.
TL12_under.jpg

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Let us put this in perspective. Yamaha R-S202 is $150. Loxjie A30 is $160 (if you can find it).
As far as amps go, absolutely (those both also have Toslink and line-outs for subwoofers).
The Wi-Fi aspect is a decently big deal though. As an iPhone user, AirPlay support is very welcomed, I dislike connecting to Bluetooth (I always turn it off when not in use). This is also the cheapest product I know of where you can do multi-device streaming (I think their site says the app can connect up to 10 of these together).

Mike-48

This company seems to be trying to benefit from Auralic's good name. For that reason alone, I would avoid them. (What others do is up to them, of course.)

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Oh John, we show our age. I remember Dynaco power amp kit in 71. .5 THD. And that was good. Not sure if I reached Nirvana at that time.with the soldering iron. My ears were young.

iron.

Top Bottom