• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LSR 305 and 308 discontinued.............read below

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Maybe this is what Thomas needs to do with his 705P's.

Being in the UK, I wonder if this can replace the smoke in the JBL's.

Smokekit2.jpg

We know this alternate part won't work as the grounding is wrong.

smoke.jpg
No no, Iv found a solution to my JBL woes that will bring back the fun..,

ADCC1B94-207E-40EE-86BA-21CCCC7B2202.jpeg

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Actually you are confused. Not the maker of the video, they actually know what they are talking about. Who is talking about the modification, "the wrinkled look" of the guide. Oy! Here is the correct info as per JBL.

http://www.jblpro.com/www/jbl-story...ectivity/image-control-waveguide#.WnKtlXxG0Y0
Don't get confused by marketing speak on that page (which also the video person fell for). I am very good friends with Harman folks who designed and patented the software that creates the shape of the waveguide. It does exactly what I explained. If you look at the M2 page, it says what I explained even though it still has some random marketing in it: http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/m2/m2-master-reference-monitor#.WnK0RKinGUl

upload_2018-1-31_22-33-58.png

The technology first came out in Revel speaker line. If you look there, you see a more clear explanation matching mine: http://revelspeakers.com/newsdetail...rd-with-new-revel-jbl-levinson-offerings.html

upload_2018-1-31_22-41-46.png

The software they have takes in the directivity that you desire and it spits out the physical shape of the waveguide. Since we are talking about one speaker, there is no concept of imaging between two speakers to feed the software.

Computer aided design for waveguide has existed for a long time. What is new here is creating shapes that are not the classic smooth ones with the process reversed. That is what they have patented. The Revel speakers have almost imperceptible creases in their tweeter waveguide that makes a big difference in their directivity.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
I saw this a few days ago. I think the presenter is confused by what the waveguide is doing. The modifications to the guide (the wrinkled look) is so that it creates the precise directivity to match that of the woofer at transition. By doing so the off-axis response remains similar to on-axis. Since we hear the sum total of direct+indirect (even in near field listening), that makes for a better speaker.

A side effect of this may be that the tonal character of the speaker doesn't change as much/wider sweet spot but it is not the intended purpose.

The wrinkling may be to utilise the boundary- flow layer physics - like shark skin or golf balls.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Don't get confused by marketing speak on that page (which also the video person fell for). I am very good friends with Harman folks who designed and patented the software that creates the shape of the waveguide. It does exactly what I explained. If you look at the M2 page, it says what I explained even though it still has some random marketing in it: http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/m2/m2-master-reference-monitor#.WnK0RKinGUl

View attachment 10278

The technology first came out in Revel speaker line. If you look there, you see a more clear explanation matching mine: http://revelspeakers.com/newsdetail...rd-with-new-revel-jbl-levinson-offerings.html

View attachment 10280

The software they have takes in the directivity that you desire and it spits out the physical shape of the waveguide. Since we are talking about one speaker, there is no concept of imaging between two speakers to feed the software.

Computer aided design for waveguide has existed for a long time. What is new here is creating shapes that are not the classic smooth ones with the process reversed. That is what they have patented. The Revel speakers have almost imperceptible creases in their tweeter waveguide that makes a big difference in their directivity.
I believe the point you are missing is the result of the proper blending of the drivers at the crossover point is exactly what you call marketing explains. That is the reason for the design and the advantage it provides. When you are an actually designer your intention is to solve problems or provide improvement. Since speakers are listened to, the result is what matters and is the reason for the exercise. So it is imprecise to stop without completing the explanation, as you did with the pretty yellow highlights. I hope this helps.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I believe the point you are missing is the result of the proper blending of the drivers at the crossover point is exactly what you call marketing explains. That is the reason for the design and the advantage it provides. When you are an actually designer your intention is to solve problems or provide improvement. Since speakers are listened to, the result is what matters and is the reason for the exercise. So it is imprecise to stop without completing the explanation, as you did with the pretty yellow highlights. I hope this helps.

What you are saying is what is called a 'motherhood statement'. Can you be more specific? Some examples?

i108

Hi all!

My first post!

I like Genesis version more I think but they are both cool!

So Amir, how do these compare to the LSR30X or the LSR305?

I have some LSR30X, a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, and a Presonus Temblor T10. Just got most of em. Have to hook up the sub. Interface made a huge difference.

Debating whether it's worth it to try to sell the 30x for the 305p/305mkii. Might cost me an extra $100.

Are the mkii/305p's balanced to within 1db like the 30x? Think massdrop will do a 305p/mkii X?

I asked for specs on transient and other new transducer differences, nothing yet from JBL.

What makes more difference, that or the balance?

How close are they normally?

Thanks and let me know anything else you think of!

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You're trying hard but really hard to lose your hard won audiophile creds...

o_O

:D

Yeah but he did sucker me into ordering a pair! If this causes marital issues, I will have to use ASR's Marriage Counseling Services for Hopeless Audiophools. I am almost sure the glossy finish will get these speakers banned from the living room. Sandpaper to the rescue??

Btw, I ordered from B&H photo. No tax and free shipping. Ordered it today and B&H says I will have it tomorrow which will be quite amazing if true.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I believe the point you are missing is the result of the proper blending of the drivers at the crossover point is exactly what you call marketing explains.
No. That is what I explained in my original post to which you objected:

The modifications to the guide (the wrinkled look) is so that it creates the precise directivity to match that of the woofer at transition.

"Transition" means crossover point.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
No. That is what I explained in my original post to which you objected:

"Transition" means crossover point.
I am sorry to belabor a point. You still seem to be leaving out a clear fact/ result. Japanese being your first language and not English might be the reason for the omission.

i108

Now I am stuck wondering how much better are they than the last edition? I have yet to find anyone accurately report.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I am sorry to belabor a point. You still seem to be leaving out a clear fact/ result. Japanese being your first language and not English might be the reason for the omission.

Amirm has clearly demonstrated that his Engish vocabulary and expression are exemplary. What don't you understand? o_O

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What about to the LSR305?

And my other questions?

Anyone can answer/chime in.

Thanks!

I don't think anyone is ignoring you. The mkII has only just been made available. So several of us here have the old version. Only one has the new version to my knowledge. There just isn't anyone who can say much in way of comparison at this point in time.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Now I am stuck wondering how much better are they than the last edition? I have yet to find anyone accurately report.
There is high praise for the old one. And I can attest to the new one being excellent. So as a minimum, they did not go backward. :)

If there is high interest I guess I could buy a pair of the old ones to compare. Should I? I don't have a personal need for another pair.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
There is high praise for the old one. And I can attest to the new one being excellent. So as a minimum, they did not go backward. :)

If there is high interest I guess I could buy a pair of the old ones to compare. Should I? I don't have a personal need for another pair.
That would be a waste of $$$ they should be pretty similar. Maybe spend the $$$ on some Kabuki dance lessons.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Last edited:
Top Bottom