• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LSR 305 and 308 discontinued.............read below

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That will be interesting, good benchmark for whatever amp and speakers you buy to test.

There are measurements of the old ones here http://noaudiophile.com/JBL_LSR305/

Here are a bunch more of the original 305 and 308, from the German magazine Sound und Recording (they do the most comprehensive measurement set of any publication I know of; they do everything but CEA2034 spinoramas) , Earl Geddes, and others:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/...RfmdIzx6vDRPjzfbCg/mobilebasic#h.w4gf4uczr44h

I found that link looking for the Sound und Recording review. I think it might be behind a firewall now.

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
For the price, the JBL 3 series is a steal. I also sell them by the way.

But looking at polars, it's also obviously a speaker that can't really be considered constant directivity. A speaker with such a change in dispersion really works best in nearfield and with acoustic treatment, which both minimizes the directivity issues. Everything is relative though, compared to many commercial speakers this is quite good behavior.

lsr308-gedlee.PNG

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems like the woofer is progressively beaming, and then the tweeter/waveguide takes over and the dispersion becomes a bit wider again? Is my interpretation correct?

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I see that polar plot is for the 308. Is the 305 better as one would think? The crossover is actually lower in frequency on the 305 and it will be handing off to the 5 inch driver.

Thanks for the plots btw. Measurement data is held in much higher regard on this forum.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see that polar plot is for the 308. Is the 305 better as one would think? The crossover is actually lower in frequency on the 305 and it will be handing off to the 5 inch driver.

Thanks for the plots btw. Measurement data is held in much higher regard on this forum.

That polar plot is from Geddes, who has only measured the 308 it seems. Looking at polar plots from the German magazine in the link provided by @jhaider , it seems like the 305 is indeed a little better behaved in the mid- and high range, both horizontally and vertically. With the exception that the 308 retains some directivity down to 200 hz, while the 305 only does so to down 300 hz. I would assume that those 100 hz of minimal directivity in the bass are perceptually less important than the difference in directivity around the crossover point of the 308, which is much less pronounced in the 305.

EDIT: There are some anecdotal stories about people reportedly preferring the 305 over 308, with the exception of the bass extension. These polar plots may indicate that there's actually something to that. Which might mean that the 305s crossed over to a sub might create better sound than the 308s alone.

Last edited:

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Seems like the woofer is progressively beaming, and then the tweeter/waveguide takes over and the dispersion becomes a bit wider again? Is my interpretation correct?
I would rather say the speaker is loosing it's directivty from around 1200 Hz and becomes gradually wider. And above 2 KHz is becomes gradually wider to a certain point. It's only constant between 1200 Hz and 2 KHz.

The data from the german magazine looks better than what it really is because of the small resolution or large increments on the y-axis. Geddes' graph is displaying it much better.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would rather say the speaker is loosing it's directivty from around 1200 Hz and becomes gradually wider. And above 2 KHz is becomes gradually wider to a certain point. It's only constant between 1200 Hz and 2 KHz.

The data from the german magazine looks better than what it really is because of the small resolution or large increments on the y-axis. Geddes' graph is displaying it much better.

You're demanding in your approach to loudspeakers, Bjorn ;)
I see your point. But even if it's not "constant", we can surely speak of better or worse directivities? So that some speakers are more constant than others, even if they are far from being fully constant?

And would you agree that the 305 seems to better controlled directivity-wise than the 308?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Upon seeing so much written about these dirt cheap speakers and having read here from Ray Dunzl, his experiences with the 308, I decided to purchase a pair of LSR 308. I will use these with a trio of cheap Parts Express subs (thanks again Ray!!! :)) and miniDSP. I intend to use this system as my learning rig for DSP/Digital Room Correction, Roon integration/.System measuring and Optimization ... while enjoying what can be a great sounding system (nearfield). Looking to keep total price of system under $2000:
LSR 308 .......... $300 /pair
Parts Express 15 inch subs .... $600 for all 3
Mini DSP ?
Already have a variety of DACS

Last edited:

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
You're demanding in your approach to loudspeakers, Bjorn ;)
I see your point. But even if it's not "constant", we can surely speak of better or worse directivities? So that some speakers are more constant than others, even if they are far from being fully constant?

And would you agree that the 305 seems to better controlled directivity-wise than the 308?
Sure. Like I pointed out earlier, everything is relative and compared to many commercial speakers these measure quite well. For the price, they are great. The fact that are active is also a an advantage.

The 305s don't exhibit so much narrowing around the crossover as the 308s do. At the same time, the 308s remain the directivity lower in frequency. So weaknesses and strengths with both. The lobing and comb filtering will be more pronounced with 308 but difficult to say how audible this is. It's really an audible problem with both speakers. The directivity graphs only give us a small picture.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure. Like I pointed out earlier, everything is relative and compared to many commercial speakers these measure quite well. For the price, they are great. The fact that are active is also a an advantage.

The 305s don't exhibit so much narrowing around the crossover as the 308s do. At the same time, the 308s remain the directivity lower in frequency. So weaknesses and strengths with both. The lobing and comb filtering will be more pronounced with 308 but difficult to say how audible this is. It's really an audible problem with both speakers. The directivity graphs only give us a small picture.

Thanks. Good points. I would hazard a guess that the 308s might be better for near-field listening, contrary to what could be assumed perhaps, and the 305s (with a sub) better for mid-field or far-field listening? In the near-field the direct sound will dominate, and the narrowing around the crossover of the 308s might be less perceived. And the direct sound of the larger woofers will have more dynamics and punch. But farther away, the more uneven dispersion in the presence region compared to the 305s might create an ambient field that is perceived as less homogenous.

Would be interesting to A/B-test this!

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Thanks. Good points. I would hazard a guess that the 308s might be better for near-field listening, contrary to what could be assumed perhaps, and the 305s (with a sub) better for mid-field or far-field listening? In the near-field the direct sound will dominate, and the narrowing around the crossover of the 308s might be less perceived. And the direct sound of the larger woofers will have more dynamics and punch. But farther away, the more uneven dispersion in the presence region compared to the 305s might create an ambient field that is perceived as less homogenous.

Would be interesting to A/B-test this!
Maybe. Difficult to say before doing a serious listening test. Personally I don't like small woofers though for any critical listening. They sound compressed, which becomes very obvious when comparing them to something larger and a sub crossed over low doesn't solve it well. For a computer speaker it's ok though. I have a pair of Behringer Truth monitors myself as computer speakers. The smaller version of the ones that beat Linkwitz Orion in a blind test.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/177403-linkwitz-orions-beaten-behringer.html

It's actually quite easy to build a cheap speaker with far more constant directivity in the most sensitive area than the JBL 3 series. But manufacturing at a similar low price tag would take a lot of investments and involve high risk.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe. Difficult to say before doing a serious listening test. Personally I don't like small woofers though for any critical listening. They sound compressed, which becomes very obvious when comparing them to something larger and a sub crossed over low doesn't solve it well. For a computer speaker it's ok though. I have a pair of Behringer Truth monitors myself as computer speakers. The smaller version of the ones that beat Linkwitz Orion in a blind test.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/177403-linkwitz-orions-beaten-behringer.html

It's actually quite easy to build a cheap speaker with far more constant directivity in the most sensitive area than the JBL 3 series. But manufacturing at a similar low price tag would take a lot of investments and involve high risk.

I agree about small woofers. For some reason it is common to see people suggest the 305 get used with a woofer below what the 305 does say at 40 hz. The 305 is surprising in what it accomplishes, but physics can't be tricked. The sound is much better in a mid field use by crossing over to a good sub at 80 hz and rolling off the 305s at 80 hz. Relieved of that burden they sound much larger if you will.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Been listening to the LSR305p Mk II for an hour so far. I tell you, nothing prepares you for the stellar fidelity these budget speakers produce! On my reference tracks it can be stunning, easily outperforming high-end speakers. I will do a review in a day or two when I have more miles on them. For now, I have to keep shaking my head on the level of detail, and absence of distortion. Level wise, I am listening at -22 to 0-15 db or so. Plenty of reserve power. I can't get them distorted before I get uncomfortable with the loudness!

The only downfall is that it absolutely will not play deep bass. It acts as if it is not even there. I think they may have smartly filtered that out. I will do some measurements to figure out. I should say though I have them out in open room in a very large space. Against the walls it may do better.

Mind you as soon as bass frequencies go up some, it reproduces them with incredible clarity. So it is not like a little whiny bookshelf speaker.

Absolutely, absolutely, incredible value and performance here! I don't care what system you have now. You need to get a pair of these and listen to them.

I am driving them with the Topping DX7 which makes a fantastic package with them. I hooked up a sub to the unbalanced output and let the balanced drive the LSRs. That gave me the lows but measurements and tuning is necessary for best performance there. Hard to imagine that this is a $600 package from DAC to amp and speakers!

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe. Difficult to say before doing a serious listening test. Personally I don't like small woofers though for any critical listening. They sound compressed, which becomes very obvious when comparing them to something larger and a sub crossed over low doesn't solve it well.

Note S&R's "MAX SPL" graph for the LSR305. This graph charts the maximum SPL the speaker can reach at their chosen overload threshold (10% THD below 300Hz, 3% THD above 300Hz) by frequency. At 500Hz the LSR305P's max output is under 90dB.

The Neumann KH120 makes an interesting comparison.

Test Studio-Monitor Neumann KH 120

True, this monitor is priced roughly half-way between the LSR305P and LSR705P. Size-wise I believe it is comparable. The KH120 has over 10dB more headroom at S&R's overload threshold than the LSR305P.

I hope S&R tests the LSR705P. I've never a pipsqueak speaker sound as big as the LSR705i does.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The only downfall is that it absolutely will not play deep bass.

My 308's do 30Hz in-room at 10 feet at the listening position with no sweat. Some folks find them a bit boomy.

Sometimes I'm using them with a 5-string electric bass, to play along with the mains, for grins. The low B string is 30.8Hz.

(left and right 1/12 octave red - raw, black - flat DSP "room correction" assist, dialed in for 6dB slope bottom to top)

upload_2018-1-27_0-40-48.png

Sylafari

Been listening to the LSR305p Mk II for an hour so far. I tell you, nothing prepares you for the stellar fidelity these budget speakers produce! On my reference tracks it can be stunning, easily outperforming high-end speakers. I will do a review in a day or two when I have more miles on them. For now, I have to keep shaking my head on the level of detail, and absence of distortion. Level wise, I am listening at -22 to 0-15 db or so. Plenty of reserve power. I can't get them distorted before I get uncomfortable with the loudness!

The only downfall is that it absolutely will not play deep bass. It acts as if it is not even there. I think they may have smartly filtered that out. I will do some measurements to figure out. I should say though I have them out in open room in a very large space. Against the walls it may do better.

Mind you as soon as bass frequencies go up some, it reproduces them with incredible clarity. So it is not like a little whiny bookshelf speaker.

Absolutely, absolutely, incredible value and performance here! I don't care what system you have now. You need to get a pair of these and listen to them.

I am driving them with the Topping DX7 which makes a fantastic package with them. I hooked up a sub to the unbalanced output and let the balanced drive the LSRs. That gave me the lows but measurements and tuning is necessary for best performance there. Hard to imagine that this is a $600 package from DAC to amp and speakers!

This is exactly how I felt when I got the JBL LSR 30X. To be honest I wasn't expecting them to sound so great cause I come from using Sennheiser HD 800 the entire time and this speaker was only $300 shipped. But, I was so impressed with them and blown away on first listen and it opened my curiosity to more expensive speakers and how they must sound. They are so clear and play with so much detail and the phantom center feels so strong and real. Unfortunately, I have tested a lot more expensive speakers ($1-2.5k) and none of them so far give me a tangible enough feeling that they are vastly superior to the JBL LSR 30X (hell I don't even feel like any of them are a true step up yet, they just feel like side grades). But the idle static noise it produces is unsuitable for nearfield use as it is a bit too loud for me (it is negligible when music is playing). So continues my hunt for the ultimate nearfield speaker :-(

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
What's the source of the hiss?

Top Bottom