• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LSR 305 and 308 discontinued.............read below

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The lsr 310 is pretty good. The best part is you can send it line level signals, it does the crossover, and outputs signals to your stereo speakers. This works with one or a pair.

Now if you have a way to handle the crossover to the main speakers, I think Dayton's 10s or 12s are a better deal. I've have friends with the Dayton's.

Unless you have a large room one lsr 310 is probably enough. If you think not you can add a 2nd one later. For the same price as one 310 you could buy a pair of Dayton 12s.

What would you say is the minimal size of the room where adding a LSR 310 to 305p mk2's useful?

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What would you say is the minimal size of the room where adding a LSR 310 to 305p mk2's useful?
My two cents.
If you want more bass, by adding the LSR310, then I would assume the room size does not matter.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My two cents.
If you want more bass, by adding the LSR310, then I would assume the room size does not matter.

My "JBL room" :) is very small. I don't need more bass, or only perhaps a bit more under 50Hz.
It would rather be about having or not having a better 80Hz-300Hz range, if the crossover in the LSR310 had a high-pass for them and would relieve them of the < 80Hz, the sub taking over here.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amazon.com has the LSR310S on sale for $250

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I just ordered a pair of the new series LSR305p MKII. It is $149 with shipping from Amazon. Amazon has the older one for $129 but I see other places with as low as $99. So quite tempting to get the older series but what the heck. Who wants to own the last year's model of anything? :D

I will be pairting them with an Amazon Echo Dot to play music in my woodshop. :D Voice control. Unlimited music. And hopefully nice sound with the LSR305p.

Will test them a bit in the lab before shipping them to the workshop.
Oh the 1st gen sound nice ,I have 4 of em,the fiio k5 pro pushes em krazy loud

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Who wants to own the last year's model of anything?
Specially in women, the newer models are always more shiny. :p

twsecrest

How do you cross them?
I'm assuming you mean how to connect everything together.
Source > Sub-woofer > JBL LSR305
Run a stereo audio cable from you source, use two TS 1/4" (6.3mm) mono plugs, to connect the sub-woofer.
Then run two cables, each cable with TS 1/4" plugs on each end, from the sub-woofer to the 305.
If your source has a balanced output, then use balanced cables (XLR or TRS), for all connects.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm assuming you mean how to connect everything together.
Source > Sub-woofer > JBL LSR305
Run a stereo audio cable from you source, use two TS 1/4" (6.3mm) mono plugs, to connect the sub-woofer.
Then run two cables, each cable with TS 1/4" plugs on each end, from the sub-woofer to the 305.
If your source has a balanced output, then use balanced cables (XLR or TRS), for all connects.
Thanks but I hope my english is not that bad! :)
I asked about the crossover.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
... M-Audio ... BX8's when listened to sounded like no competition, and measurements showed why.

I know it's been a long time but can you tell me what this means? They sounded bad? or does "no competition" mean they sounded good?

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I know it's been a long time but can you tell me what this means? They sounded bad? or does "no competition" mean they sounded good?
BX8's sounded very poor in comparison to the LSR speakers. Very uneven frequency response, less bass, a bit shouty in the region just above voices. Heard side by side I can't imagine anyone taking more than a few seconds to decide the BX8 is nowhere near as good.

JustIntonation

Have been looking for cheap speakers for testing developing / testing stage of an invention of mine (will tell about it at some future point).
After some research I've decided to go for the Kali LP6. It seems to be the best speaker near their price point currently available and better than the JBL LSR series. They include detailer polar graph 3rd party measurements and HD measurements. Also front ported btw for easier placement / better behaved bass in most rooms.
Their off-axis is very smooth and their tweeter-woofer is time alligned which makes for a proper Linkwitz-Riley crossover at the very low 1500Hz so good vertical off-axis too. Edge diffraction not too bad because of the waveguide and relatively large baffle. This all means that they can be EQ-ed flat on-axis without penalty.
Add a good sub (making mine DIY with a leftover SEAS L26ROY driver I allready have) and perhaps make the LP6 closed when in use with sub (downside of front port is some mid freq still coming from the port exit).

Severian

Forum Donor
I got a pair of JBL 306s. They are really impressive for the price - the best stereo imaging and phantom center I've ever heard thanks to the waveguide. The bass is much punchier than I expected from their size. However, I find the mids pretty lacking, to the point where I don't think I'd be happy with them as my everyday speakers. They sound recessed and harsh compared to what I'm used to with my SEAS drivers. I think I hear the dip at the crossover frequency that people have discussed too. However, they are for my wife's computer and she's not as persnickety as I am. For about $180 delivered during the recent B&H sale, the value proposition is incredible.

mi-fu

Forum Donor
Maybe it is just me. I just didn't like the sound of LSR310 paired with 305s. Surely there is more bass, but it becomes muddy. It loses the clarity 305s have.

I also found 306s sound less good to 305s.

I just kept a pair of 305s at the end.

Top Bottom