• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why not review some Hegel amps?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18434
  • Start date

steve59

Major Contributor
Google Hegel reviews, there’s plenty out there

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
the AHB2 looks too much like the old Quad 405 (OK, I'm squinting :) ) to look really 'serious' to lovers of acres of massive casework from other amps out there.

The AHB2 reminds me of a lot of amps I owned that I respected, but never developed an emotional attachment to.

They were just tools to get a job done, which they did well.

But I no longer own them.

steve59

Major Contributor
I just read the whole thread, lol, Hegel sacrfices the fancy case to help with price compared to the high end brands. Hegel isn’t in the same conversation and is more of a bridge for those of us that can’t afford the krel, Mark Levinson, etc amps needed to power our fancy clock radios

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Google Hegel reviews, there’s plenty out there

This is a really good point.

The upper echelon products are often already measured and reviewed by the for-profit media companies.

I think ASR is at its best serving the cheap/light products that people can mail in.

The for-profit review sites don't really want to review the cheap stuff, anyway.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I just read the whole thread, lol, Hegel sacrfices the fancy case to help with price compared to the high end brands. Hegel isn’t in the same conversation and is more of a bridge for those of us that can’t afford the krel, Mark Levinson, etc amps needed to power our fancy clock radios

???

The Hegel 590 is $11,000.

That's more than the $8K for the Krell K-300i integrated amp with optional DAC add-on:

https://hifiheaven.net/shop/Krell-K...r?search=krell&sort=p.price&order=DESC&page=2

And more than the $7K Levinson 5802:

https://www.musicdirect.com/integrated-amp/Mark-Levinson-No-5802-Integrated-Amplifier

MDAguy

Forum Donor
Because At $6000 & $9000 they are expensive lol. Why don’t you buy one and send it to Amir ;). Solved

The only weak point of this forum is the total lack of measurement of anything deemed "expensive" or very expensive ...it makes sense as to why, but nevertheless, a big part of the picture is missing when we don't see the whole spectrum of audio equipment being reviewed.. I'm happy to have Amir over my place to measure mine, but there's about as much chance of me shipping it off to be measured as there is of me throwing it in the dumpster :D

steve59

Major Contributor
Apples to apples, the 590 is hegels statemen product and for pric/power comparisons the h390 at $6k would be a better match. Still offering 250/425 wpc that off the top of my head is more than either of the two compared.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Apples to apples, the 590 is hegels statemen product and for pric/power comparisons the h390 at $6k would be a better match. Still offering 250/425 wpc that off the top of my head is more than either of the two compared.

Okay, so a $6K Hegel vs a $7K Levinson.

Still seems like the same price bracket to me.

It's not like Hegel is Emotiva. Or even NAD.

DSJR

Major Contributor
In the UK, shipping prices seem to have gone up hugely in recent times (+75% I'd estimate on a pair of speaker boxes I needed to ship inland which weren't huge). No idea if this is the same as in the US, but high end 'confection amps' are usually large, heavy and I suspect easily damaged in transit or heaving them around...

The Hegel 190 (£3200) is probably more where UK domestic users should be looking, as I suspect most of our listening spaces aren't as vast as some of yours so not as power hungry...

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
In the UK, shipping prices seem to have gone up hugely in recent times (+75% I'd estimate on a pair of speaker boxes I needed to ship inland which weren't huge). No idea if this is the same as in the US, but high end 'confection amps' are usually large, heavy and I suspect easily damaged in transit or heaving them around...

The Hegel 190 (£3200) is probably more where UK domestic users should be looking, as I suspect most of our listening spaces aren't as vast as some of yours so not as power hungry...

Shipping price increase or not, I think it just comes back to what has already been said:

How many people want to give up usage of their multi-kilo buck/euro/pound amp, spend a bunch of money to have it mailed, possibly get damaged in shipping, and then only to find out it measures no better than a Topping or Nord?

If Amir made home visits, at least the opportunity cost for cognitive dissonance and potential humiliation is $0 and zero downtime.

steve59

Major Contributor
Okay, so a $6K Hegel vs a $7K Levinson.

Still seems like the same price bracket to me.

It's not like Hegel is Emotiva.

I agree. When I bought my h360 the comparable Krell was 9k and ML was $10 k while mine was $6k retail So I’ll ask if hegel is getting companies to adjust their place in the market? Idk. If the ML was the same price with same power ratings and made my system boogie like the Hegel did I would have a really cool looking ML integrated in my rack but at the time and even now $10k is more than I can even attempt to negotiate down

MDAguy

Forum Donor
Shipping price increase or not, I think it just comes back to what has already been said:

How many people want to give up usage of their multi-kilo buck/euro/pound amp, spend a bunch of money to have it mailed, possibly get damaged in shipping, and then only to find out it measures no better than a Topping or Nord?

If Amir made home visits, at least the opportunity cost for cognitive dissonance and potential humiliation is $0 and zero downtime.

Based on the measurements I've seen that John Atkinson took of my DAC I'm not the least bit worried that it would rank in the top, my fear isn't that it might be out done however, as it would be any damage or loss during shipping, never mind the time without it, and the hassle of removing it from my system and being with out it for a week or more.

win

I'll save you the time. It doesn't measure well.

steve59

Major Contributor
Arent dacs obsolete by the time they slap the price on the box? Fortunately digital is getting bette compared to the offerings from the ‘perfect sound forever’ days. Many get their pants in a bunch over formats but as long as work is progressing for the end user.

MDAguy

Forum Donor
I'll save you the time. It doesn't measure well.

who you addressing this to? and more over, how do you know?

steve59

Major Contributor

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also below is the measurement for H360, which is very popular over here.

chart2.gif

THD+N 0.006% at 5W in 4 ohms = SINAD 84.

More here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZlTOYxmPs938gqHjtDABkWS-MApu7uJjzIGnJ2Elm6Y/edit?usp=sharing

Source: SoundStage!
https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...er&catid=97:amplifier-measurements&Itemid=154

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Based on the measurements I've seen that John Atkinson took of my DAC I'm not the least bit worried that it would rank in the top, my fear isn't that it might be out done however, as it would be any damage or loss during shipping, never mind the time without it, and the hassle of removing it from my system and being with out it for a week or more.

You're probably an exception to how a lot of buyers feel about measurements. ;)

But, hey, I'm in the same boat. If I end up swapping my Devialet for a Luxman, I don't really care if the Luxman doesn't measure as well as the Benchmark, as long as its transparent, because it sure looks a heck of a lot sexier.

MDAguy

Forum Donor
You're probably an exception to how a lot of buyers feel about measurements. ;)

But, hey, I'm in the same boat. If I end up swapping my Devialet for a Luxman, I don't really care if the Luxman doesn't measure as well as the Benchmark, as long as its transparent, because it sure looks a heck of a lot sexier.

Only problem with some of the great brands like Luxman is it doesn't come with a see-thru (or removable) top so you can admire the internal component build quality .. for me, it looks better than wall art at the Louvre :cool:

Top Bottom