• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

If "Tube Sound" Is a Myth, Why Tubes?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Yeah, that crosses a line for domestic acceptability in our house. :)
That particular Ampex 300-3 looks like its been ridden hard in its lifetime, however Studer machines of the same period weren't exactly beauty queens...although they were vastly superior. This is a Studer 4 track 1 inch machine, while the Ampex used 1/2" tape for the same number of tracks (or 3 tracks). Sgt. Pepper was recorded on a Studer machine like this, which probably contributed to its sound quality.

STUDER-J37 #1.jpg

STUDER J37 #2.jpg

Robin L

Master Contributor
That particular Ampex 300-3 looks like its been ridden hard in its lifetime, however Studer machines of the same period weren't exactly beauty queens...although they were vastly superior. This is a Studer 4 track 1 inch machine, while the Ampex used 1/2" tape for the same number of tracks (or 3 tracks). Sgt. Pepper was recorded on a Studer machine like this, which probably contributed to its sound quality.

STUDER-J37 #1.jpg

Lovely, though the photo below looks like it could use a dusting. The best of the old gear really is great. There's a definite justification for the high price of gear like this when it first appeared.

STUDER J37 #2.jpg

orangejello

Thanks, took me well over a year to complete this one. I draw the intersecting triangles off a computer print-out available online. I use a brush known as a liner to apply acrylic paint, most of the hues metalized. It's all cross-hatched like an ink drawing.

View attachment 100160
This is similar to the one I drew with drafting tools and India ink. It was black and white and shows the complexity of the geometry...
1608343297372.jpeg

Staring at it for long periods of time is an interesting and meditative experience. Got to say that it is pretty strange that two guys on an audio web site would have both attempted this.

Now back to ur regularly scheduled programmin...

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Lovely, though the photo below looks like it could use a dusting. The best of the old gear really is great. There's a definite justification for the high price of gear like this when it first appeared.

Ampex cheapened their original recorder, the model 200 when they designed the 300. The 200 was way better constructed, ran at 30 ips, used 14" hubs and cost a bloody fortune.

AMPEX_200A_at_Capitol_Records_scaled.jpg

Robin L

Master Contributor
And that's essentially a Magnetophone, also Bing Crosby's dream come true?

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
It's certainly the more objective kind of tape aficianado who takes that as a compliment rather than an insult :)

Oh, jeeze...thanks, I guess? ;)

I love my turntable and tape deck. They give me a lot of joy, entertainment, and allow require to fiddle and tweak things in a way digital doesn't. It's a hands-on experience that I enjoy. Plus, I enjoy the mechanical engineering.

I have more fun with them than digital.

But I don't think they're *better*. :)

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, jeeze...thanks, I guess? ;)

I love my turntable and tape deck. They give me a lot of joy, entertainment, and allow require to fiddle and tweak things in a way digital doesn't. It's a hands-on experience that I enjoy. Plus, I enjoy the mechanical engineering.

I have more for with them than digital.

But I don't think they're *better*. :)

Hahaha, totally understand :) They are also beautiful machines.

I don't mind spinning the odd vinyl either, and vinyl covers are one of my favourite types of design objects.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I don't know, don't doubt that he made out like a bandit. More importantly, he spent more time golfing.
Part of the deal was that he had exclusive sales and distribution rights for Ampex machines in the Western US. He made out well.

Thanks for that Link; I hadn't seen that before.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

Robin L

Master Contributor
He'd call it a Virtuous Cycle. :cool:
Didn't find out how much Bing made from Ampex, it's noted he invested $50,000.00 [in 1947 dollars] in Ampex, so I'm gonna guess he got something out of it: Right now he's making 27 cents a second.

His first TV show was The Fireside Theater.

Wombat

Master Contributor
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Didn't find out how much Bing made from Ampex, it's noted he invested $50,000.00 [in 1947 dollars] in Ampex, so I'm gonna guess he got something out of it: Right now he's making 27 cents a second.

His first TV show was The Fireside Theater.

Damn, his estate is still raking in $8M a year?

Robin L

Master Contributor
Damn, his estate is still raking in $8M a year?
Something like that, $16.00 a minute. The estate was worth $50,000,000.00 in 2018.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Every time I think I want a 30 IPS machine, I realize I'd have nothing to play on it... ;)
I recorded on a 24 track Studer at 30ips once. Didn't like it. 15 sounded better.

Top Bottom