• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Proof that speaker cables make a difference

noiseangel

noiseangel

97384-99be3a40d4e003bd0155ca245be0f6af.jpg
Tshirt.jpg

Max Townshend

Audio Company
Isn't transmission line theory only applicable when the wavelength approaches the size of your circuit components? I.e., at frequencies way, way above 20 kHz? I seem to recall only needing to care about impedance matching in my microwave class.
Transmission line theory is applied to transmission lines at 50Hz and 60Hz. A 6km line will stay charged with reflections for a while. The wavelength at 50Hz is 6000km.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Transmission line theory is applied to transmission lines at 50Hz and 60Hz. A 6km line will stay charged with reflections for a while. The wavelength at 50Hz is 6000km.
This is very interesting. Do you have any references as to how the electric utility companies design their transmission lines to get the correct characteristic impedance to match the source and load impedances? The power transmission lines I've seen certainly don't look like parallel strip lines to me. And how does it work for three phase AC?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
This was also done with phone lines. Impedance matching but only because the distances involved were so long that reflections will actually develop to problematic levels. I don't see how this will affect a few meters of speaker cable.

MDAguy

Forum Donor
This forum needs a way to emoji a post with various reactions so as to save typing and bandwidth.
Laughing while crying emoji would come in handy.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
This forum needs a way to emoji a post with various reactions so as to save typing and bandwidth.
Laughing while crying emoji would come in handy.

You'll see 'uh huh' used in a way that reflects much of that...

Speedskater

Major Contributor
A properly functioning high voltage AC power transmission network does not have reflections. The photo that you often post is of a failure mode and like a square wave or step function, the frequency is not 50/60Hz.

Max Townshend

Audio Company
Amir will have the test cables soon. The delay is that he is getting a new set of, 3m current production cables as well so that he can listen. They are being manufactured as I write. Despatch tomorrow.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir will have the test cables soon. The delay is that he is getting a new set of, 3m current production cables as well so that he can listen. They are being manufactured as I write. Despatch tomorrow.

Oooh listening to cables, how exciting.

Max Townshend

Audio Company
This is very interesting. Do you have any references as to how the electric utility companies design their transmission lines to get the correct characteristic impedance to match the source and load impedances? The power transmission lines I've seen certainly don't look like parallel strip lines to me. And how does it work for three phase AC?
They use transformers to match the impedance.

MDAguy

Forum Donor
You'll see 'uh huh' used in a way that reflects much of that...

I know but (and I'm being super picky because this is a much better and more modern forum, especially with the dark mode, than many), but being able to "Like" .. "Disagree", "Agree" or "LOL" would save a lot of effort, and non-contributing real estate in threads... Your friends at audiophilstyle nailed it...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I know but (and I'm being super picky because this is a much better and more modern forum, especially with the dark mode, than many), but being able to "Like" .. "Disagree", "Agree" or "LOL" would save a lot of effort, and non-contributing real estate in threads.

Uh huh.

Top Bottom