• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

kkeretic

I'm new at this site - hello to everybody!
I recently bought l30 and I'm enjoying its sound with the AKG K712 pro's. In my case signal comes from PC out of Audiotrak sound card via RCA. I'm thinking about buying DAC mainly because of problems with Windows sound mixer and deciding between Topping d10s and e30.
I have a question: reviews on this site showed a difference between those two DAC's in terms of RCA vrms - d10s below 2V and e30 about 0,2V more. Does that make a difference in output power?

Welcome and congratulations. I am also using the AKG K712 with L30, my favorite headphones (equalized). I recommend you to go with E30 because it has external power supply and will stack nicely with your L30. The output difference is irrelevant.

BART1975

Welcome and congratulations. I am also using the AKG K712 with L30, my favorite headphones (equalized). I recommend you to go with E30 because it has external power supply and will stack nicely with your L30. The output difference is irrelevant.
Thanks a lot for a quick reply!

Last edited:

highpurityusbcable

I'm new at this site - hello to everybody!
I recently bought l30 and I'm enjoying its sound with the AKG K712 pro's. In my case signal comes from PC out of Audiotrak sound card via RCA. I'm thinking about buying DAC mainly because of problems with Windows sound mixer and deciding between Topping d10s and e30.
I have a question: reviews on this site showed a difference between those two DAC's in terms of RCA vrms - d10s below 2V and e30 about 0,2V more. Does that make a difference in output power?
If you need additional features E30 provides and the way they stack visually then go for it. I chose D10s because I don't want to power it externally and I don't need those features at all. It's very simple to use and there were no issues since it's arrival. Also, welcome.

BART1975

If you need additional features E30 provides and the way they stack visually then go for it. I chose D10s because I don't want to power it externally and I don't need those features at all. It's very simple to use and there were no issues since it's arrival. Also, welcome.
Thanks a lot!
I really don't need additional features of e30, I suppose difference in vrms is due to external power supply.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The E30 = 0.6dB louder in output voltage.

Reactions: PSO

Yaox35

Hello, I've been using my L30 for a month and a half now. A month ago, I started noticing that when I turn the amp on I lose audio to the left speaker on my headphones (using both my Hifiman Sundara and Sennheiser 6xx) , I have to move the switch of the gain to +9 db and then back to +0db and sometimes it does solve the problem, other times I have to disconnect the 1/4 connector and plug it back again and also seems to solve the problem. This problem seems to be more present whenever I play video games or watch movies. With music is not that common but still happens.
Could this be a problem with the RCA cables? or do you guys think the L30 is faulty? Is there anything I can try to solve this problem besides moving the gain switch back and forth or unplugging and plugging the cable until the left audio channel works again?

Thank you in advance , btw before this I was using a E30 DAC and O2 Jds Labs amp without any problem. I am still using the E30 DAC ( I changed the RCA cable when I started using the O2)

Reactions: GDK

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello, I've been using my L30 for a month and a half now. A month ago, I started noticing that when I turn the amp on I lose audio to the left speaker on my headphones (using both my Hifiman Sundara and Sennheiser 6xx) , I have to move the switch of the gain to +9 db and then back to +0db and sometimes it does solve the problem, other times I have to disconnect the 1/4 connector and plug it back again and also seems to solve the problem. This problem seems to be more present whenever I play video games or watch movies. With music is not that common but still happens.
Could this be a problem with the RCA cables? or do you guys think the L30 is faulty? Is there anything I can try to solve this problem besides moving the gain switch back and forth or unplugging and plugging the cable until the left audio channel works again?

Thank you in advance , btw before this I was using a E30 DAC and O2 Jds Labs amp without any problem. I am still using the E30 DAC ( I changed the RCA cable when I started using the O2)
This happens with mine as well. Usually when I first turn it on. I just turn it off and back on again and for some reason the other channel comes back.

Yaox35

This happens with mine as well. Usually when I first turn it on. I just turn it off and back on again and for some reason the other channel comes back.
Exactly, have you found any solution to stop that from happening?

Livnmuskoka

I just had a hard time returning my L30. After 2 months of light use it would start making my headphones pop when plugging in or unplugging from the amp.
I was very happy with the performance while it lasted, but I would never buy another one. They're junk. You guys aren't worried about a faulty amp blowing your headphones?

kkeretic

I just had a hard time returning my L30. After 2 months of light use it would start making my headphones pop when plugging in or unplugging from the amp. I was very happy with the performance while it lasted, but I would never buy another one. They're junk. You guys aren't worried about a faulty amp blowing your headphones?

Mine is working properly for now, but, to be honest, I am. That's why I still preferably use the A50 (have two of them) which works flawlessly for almost a year and doesn't heat up nearly as much as the L30. Both sound exactly the same to me.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
In addition to the -9/0/+9 gain settings, perhaps it would be a good idea to include a maximum output setting to prevent accidentally setting the volume high enough to cause damage to sensitive headphones.

Veri

Master Contributor
In addition to the -9/0/+9 gain settings, perhaps it would be a good idea to include a maximum output setting to prevent accidentally setting the volume high enough to cause damage to sensitive headphones.
On the L30? I can't easily see that happen in normal working operation whatsoever.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
On the L30? I can't easily see that happen in normal working operation whatsoever.
I'm just referring back to the conversation between @FedHal and @solderdude on page 93:
I too have fried a Takstar (and HP50) driver. This is really easy to do as it is about 50mW peak rated and 20mW in continous power.
I destroyed them by playing a sweep at 100dB SPL.
To destroy the driver (silently) means that there would need to be at least 0.7V DC on the driver.
The amp is output DC protected and I assume below 1V. (@JohnYang1997 knows)
Another way is that in your absence the system made a continuous sound from the source.
Did the amp get unusually warm from the start ?

When it was DC (you can check the output with a voltmeter) then the amp is the cause.
It could also be possible that something else happened causing a loud 'sound' in which case it is bad luck.
The amp is way too powerful for this headphone. The Takstar should not be driven with peaks above 1.5V and about 114dB peak is the max. it can handle.

mundee

Hey does anyone else notice that the L30 pre amp out is inferior to E30 pre amp? at the same volume level, there is noticable clipping on my r2000db speakers

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Hey does anyone else notice that the L30 pre amp out is inferior to E30 pre amp? at the same volume level, there is noticable clipping on my r2000db speakers

Is this with the L30 set at 0dB gain and the E30 set as DAC ?

mundee

Is this with the L30 set at 0dB gain and the E30 set as DAC ?

Yes, it was, DAC mode for E30 and 0db for Pre amp. It’s more subtle in 0db but more pronounced in high gain.. it’s noticeable in bass kick “thumps”

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes, it was, DAC mode for E30 and 0db for Pre amp. It’s more subtle in 0db but more pronounced in high gain.. it’s noticeable in bass kick “thumps”
Here's the input sensitivity of the Edifiers: Line in1: 800 mV ± 50 mV Line in2: 600 mV ± 50 mV Based on this even the E30 might be clipping depending on your settings..

I suggest you use the L30 on low gain and have the gain/volume higher on the Edifiers instead.

Top Bottom