• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynaudio Heritage Special

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Their marketing copy claims the crossover does "time alignment", but I don't see how signal delay can be done passively, unless they just really mean "phase".
It can be done with a passive delay line. That looks like an LC ladder circuit and is a massive pain in the ass to do, but it's been done.

Electronic crossovers are sooooo much easier and better.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Real minimalistic crossovers are rather found at newer B&Ws which obviously shows also in their measurements.

And the implication is exactly what?

Plenty of first order, minimalist crossovers in highly respected gear over the last half century or more.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Plenty of first order, minimalist crossovers in highly respected gear over the last half century or more.
It should be added highly respected at their time of release (rather to the earlier part of the half century) and also that in the end the total acoustic order (electrical of the crossover plus the mechanical of the driver) counts which was back then often accomplished by drivers that didn't extend much beyond their usage limits.
The general implication is that in average loudspeakers with low order crossovers don't measure and sound as neutral mainly due to strong vertical side lobes, see for example a modern B&W vs a modern Revel.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Highly respected by who? Zu and Volti are well respected by some. Can you provide some examples(measurements) of past first order crossover speakers who’s measurements would hold up well by today’s standards.

Probably important to note that what constituted as great measurements in 1980 would probably be average or poor by today’s standards(at least from the very limited examples I’ve seen).

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably important to note that what constituted as great measurements in 1980 would probably be average or poor by today’s standards(at least from the very limited examples I’ve seen).
I think the main thing is fewer people achieved good measurements back then, the NS1000M is better than most speakers in production today, but there may be more now, and they may be cheaper.
I must say I have never seen good measurements from a full range driver of any vintage but thoroughly enjoyed the ones I had myself 50 years ago.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the main thing is fewer people achieved good measurements back then, the NS1000M is better than most speakers in production today, but there may be more now, and they may be cheaper.
I agree, few vintage loudspeakers like the NS-1000(M) are even still today great but they also didn't have first order minimalistic electrical crossovers though. ;):D

1607012027725.png

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Yamaha-NS1000.htm

Lavawood

Forum Donor
Glad to see this subject come up!
I’ve been a fan since 1995.
I really hope to get a pair ($7000 lowest price I’ve been quoted).

I like everything about them and the Jupiter lab no doubt has helped refine them.

at that price, Magico’s A1?
7F1A5D60-5882-4631-96BD-0C1C74C714E5.jpeg

Last edited:

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
Is the tweeter surface mounted?

That is a beautiful cabinet but I’m biased against the surface mounted woofer for aesthetic reasons and a surface mounted tweeter would be a hard no for that kind of money.

This is a totally subjective and superficial criticism. I’m sure they sound great.

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is the tweeter surface mounted?

That is a beautiful cabinet but I’m biased against the surface mounted woofer for aesthetic reasons and a surface mounted tweeter would be a hard no for that kind of money.

This is a totally subjective and superficial criticism. I’m sure they sound great.
Well, its a design characteristic of their older models, so they use it on their new "heritage model" for which they take more money although its cheaper to be produced, they call such clever marketing. :D

By the way non flush mounted drivers have also acoustic disadvantages https://heissmann-acoustics.de/en/kantendiffraktion-sekundaerschallquellen-treiberanordnun/

Valentin R

Dynaudio in one of their videos claimed that the little dip between the faceplate and the tweeter is a waveguide, and what people are claiming to be waveguides today are actually horns :p
Their is certainly a gray area between waveguide and horns

I think of it more of a marketing shim than a engineering point of view

The word horn has a bad reputation and we all know why ( bad designs and some pa applications ) so waveguide seem more HiFi ish

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Their is certainly a gray area between waveguide and horns

I think of it more of a marketing shim than a engineering point of view

The word horn has a bad reputation and we all know why ( bad designs and some pa applications ) so waveguide seem more HiFi ish
By normal definition, a waveguide guides waves in in one direction. So with the intent of widening dispersion I would argue that tweeter 'waveguides' are horns. They are like RF horns, designed to an antenna pattern with specific directivity.

Valentin R

Indeed and also couples air too the difragm so their is a increase of efficiency

Tomato Tomáto , potato potáto.

Alfetta87

Their marketing copy claims the crossover does "time alignment", but I don't see how signal delay can be done passively, unless they just really mean "phase".
Time alignment in passive speakers are allpass filters, which rotate 360 degrees, so the remains in the same polarity but is delayed.
C1 one is as simple highpass capacitor as a 1st order, C2, C3, L3, L2 is the phase alignment, and R2-C2 a Zobel as impedance correction for the tweeter.

Attachments

• 1st order plus phase alignment.JPG
    1st order plus phase alignment.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 711
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
at that price, Magico’s A1?

I really don't see the Magic A1 and the Heritage Special competing with each other on any other angle than having a similar price.

The Heritage Special is a fan-focused effort, limited in production, with a bunch of design language cues to Dynaudio's past history. It's an homage piece.

They also look radically different.

I don't think they'll be cross-shopped very often.

Top Bottom