• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Sundara vs Ananda

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Then there is the equal loudness contours which make bass sound relatively louder at higher listening levels.
Indeed ! We always need more dB in the bass region to perceive bass as "equally loud" relatively to the rest. But sure, at higher listening levels, we need "not so much dB" in the bass region to perceive bass as "equally loud". So pumping up the volume makes bass appear louder relatively to the rest of the spectrum, compared to bass at a more reasonable listening level :) And of course bringing the volume down makes bass appear weaker relatively to the rest of the spectrum, hence the good old "loudness" button ! ;)

eqlou2.gif

Last edited:

SeaNNyT

So it would seem universally agreed upon that the Ananda lacks pounch and slam in the bass relative to the Sundara. However, can something like that be EQ'd in, or is completely up to the technical performance of the driver in the Sundara and therefore not replicatible in the Ananda?

Feelas

So it would seem universally agreed upon that the Ananda lacks pounch and slam in the bass relative to the Sundara. However, can something like that be EQ'd in, or is completely up to the technical performance of the driver in the Sundara and therefore not replicatible in the Ananda?
Well, it'd actually be very funny if bass can be measured (and be there "on time", as IR shows) and then not be felt in proper amount. Just... uh, what? Yet I've seen guys on SBAF wondering whether it just isn't some botched transient performance, as lacking the edge on first wavefront would mean that some very impulse-like signals just don't get the edge they should. Reasons for this? Gosh, I don't know. Leakage?

raif71

Major Contributor
Touching on the Sundara Pads, I changed mine a few weeks back. Bought the cheapest I could find online.

1606604868896.png
1606604955498.png

---------------------Before--------------------------------------------After---------------------

The new pads is a bit thicker than original. When I first got them I thought that I got the wrong pads coz there was no circular plastic with clips unlike the original. Then I realized that I had to peel off the plastic clips and secure it into the new pads. The plastics clips were glued to the original pads so some effort was needed to peel them off the pads. Not that much problem. The new pads had slits to accommodate the plastic clips to I just slip them into the slits of the new pads (no glue needed) . After the plastic clips were securely with the new pads then it was just a matter of clipping them back to the Sundara. Unlike the original pads with some portion of the pads thinner, the new pads has the same thickness all around. Soundwise, I cannot differentiate with the original but nonetheless, the Sundara sounds great.

Last edited:

raif71

Major Contributor
Doesn't Hifiman sell replacement Sundara pads, with a thinner portion and everything ?
If you're referring to my post, yes I'm sure hifiman has those but I just bought the cheapest which is not original.

Jose Hidalgo

If you're referring to my post, yes I'm sure hifiman has those but I just bought the cheapest which is not original.
Yes, I was just asking. If I had to buy replacement pads, I would be tempted to buy them from Hifiman to avoid pressure problems on the jawbone. But maybe your pads are comfortable enough to not cause you any discomfort even during long sessions. :)

SeaNNyT

If money is no concern would going with the Ananda over the Sundara be a better option? Is the Ananda a better headphone when it comes to detail and technical capabilities? I am still within my return period for the Sundara.

OP
S

somy

I compared the two and I think Ananda is more resolving, but less warm than Sundara. Sundara has a bit more bass, ananda does have good quality of bass. Ananda has bigger ear cups and easier to drive (I'm happy with iPad driving Ananda directly for 80% music I listen).

Jose Hidalgo

I would think of the Ananda more like a side-grade vs. the Sundara. I have yet to read somebody saying that it's a clear upgrade in all aspects (I've often read that the Ananda does some things better AND some things worse vs. the Sundara). That's why people often say that to get a real upgrade from the Sundara, you need to pay much more. Ananda's bigger earcups are a plus, but maybe they don't justify the price gap.

For a price similar to the Ananda, and still remaining in planar-land, I'd be more tempted by Audeze line (LCD2-Classic, etc.).

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
There is one reason to think the Sundara and Ananda are at least somewhat different. If you look at HFM 'evolution tree:
https://hifiman.com/evo-fhp/tree.html#id_13

The right branch shows double sided symmetric magnet construction, the center Asymmetric double sided, and the left, Single sided (facing outward) magnet construction.

You will see Sundara on the single sided branch, and Ananda on the center. Different magnet construction.

Best to audition both. Can you order Ananda while still being able to return Sundara (or Ananda) after trying both?

FWIW - I have both the HE400i (single sided) and Drop HE5XX(Deva wired) double sided. I am preferring the HE5XX (classical, female vocals) even w/o EQ. (HE400i has Oratory1990 PEQ)

Last edited:

Jose Hidalgo

brachypelma44

Somebody at Hifiman should REALLY think about learning to use transparency layers in Photoshop... :facepalm:

I don't see a problem, as that's how family trees always look (except that they have it going 180 degrees in the wrong direction. The old models are supposed to be at the top, and the newest at the bottom.)

Family_tree.png

Jose Hidalgo

In your linked family tree (and in all family trees), all branches are perfectly visible. In Hifiman's product tree they are hardly visible, to the point that it's not obvious to follow the generations for some products. And that's only because someone did a really sloppy job. No need to discuss it IMHO.

Feelas

I don't see a problem, as that's how family trees always look (except that they have it going 180 degrees in the wrong direction. The old models are supposed to be at the top, and the newest at the bottom.)

Family_tree.png
You didn't notice the rectangular white edges on HM's tree, did you? :p

brachypelma44

You didn't notice the rectangular white edges on HM's tree, did you? :p

No, but I seriously doubt many people are consulting The Mighty Tree of Hifiman to plan their next purchase either. :)

To me, this idea sounds like something that people came up with in a board room that doesn't actually increase business at all. I just bought Sundaras directly from Hifiman this past weekend since they were on sale, and I never even saw the tree.

Top Bottom