• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denafrips ARES II USB R2R DAC Review

Veri

Master Contributor
I have funds, what I don't have is much time, for anything beyond work. That's why rather than selecting just one or two DACs I ordered a whole bunch of them, and tested them over a period of several months. I like the Ares II, the SMSL M400, the Topping D90, the Audio GD R1, and one DYI DAC based on dual AD1865R NOS chips - in that order. I particularly don't like the Topping D30, the Topping D10, and the Topping D50s - on anything other than the ZU Omen DW II's. I'm still missing the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, which I'll get soon.

... and that's it really - using 'revealing' speakers - some DACs enable me to be able to listen without having an urge to turn the music off after a short period of time : )
Have you tried adding some good wine, instead of continuously buying new DACs :p

decoRyder

Have you tried adding some good wine, instead of continuously buying new DACs :p

:)

That was funny : ) Perhaps I should - my wife will try a new husband if I buy anymore new gear, that's for sure : ) It's probably an occupational hazzard, but I can not let go of 'unresolved issues' (pun intended). So the quest for 'the perfect DAC' will continue, for many moons to come... : )

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

That was funny : ) Perhaps I should - my wife will try a new husband if I buy anymore new gear, that's for sure : ) It's probably an occupational hazzard, but I can not let go of 'unresolved issues' (pun intended). So the quest for 'the perfect DAC' will continue, for many moons to come... : )
Step away from the DACs!!!

LEGCRAMP

.........but at some point I decided to try a different DAC - some old no-name 'Ambery' brand DAC I had flying about in the garage, with some old Burr-Brown Chip, I don't remember which one. Well, imagine my surprise when this ancient, but well-built DAC sounded considerably better than the D30. Oh yes, some of the detail was lost, but what was there sounded considerably 'warmer' and fuller in the midrange, while making the treble bearable. So, while the D30 measures well, I don't like the way it sounds on a set of 'revealing' speakers.

I have funds, what I don't have is much time, for anything beyond work. That's why rather than selecting just one or two DACs I ordered a whole bunch of them, and tested them over a period of several months. I like the Ares II, the SMSL M400, the Topping D90, the Audio GD R1, and one DYI DAC based on dual AD1865R NOS chips - in that order. I particularly don't like the Topping D30, the Topping D10, and the Topping D50s - on anything other than the ZU Omen DW II's. I'm still missing the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, which I'll get soon.

... and that's it really - using 'revealing' speakers - some DACs enable me to be able to listen without having an urge to turn the music off after a short period of time : )

Thanks for the feedback on your listening experience with those DACs, will definitely help me with my purchasing decision. Also since you mentioned the Burr-Brown chip, maybe if you have the chance to audition the new ifi NEO iDSD or the bigger brother ifi Pro iDSD. Both of these are based on the Burr-Brown chip, you might get that sound you're looking for from the old Ambery DAC but without losing any details. Happy listening!

Veri

Master Contributor
I own a PecanPi USB DAC which utilises two pieces of burr brown's flagship DACs.. much better specs than the cheaper ones iFi uses. If you really want a Burr Brown-powered device I can recommend looking into that one. :)

ethanhallbeyer

Appreciate the reply :) Ok, I do not make any claim that what I'm about to say has any validity outside my own personal experience and preferences. Before I decided to try a wide range of DACs, I ran the Topping D30 for about 2 years. The D30 measures well, and for the money it's an absolute bargain, like most Topping offerings. So then, around xmas last year, I got the Wharfedale Diamond 11.5's. Great speakers, but I could not listen to them for extended periods of time, most recordings sounded outright shrill, and harsh. Before the 11.5's I was running a pair of Zu Audio Omen DW II's which due to their eccentric design do have the advantage of being able to play a wide variety of recordings without my ears falling off. Nothing 'wrong' with the Wharfedales in comparison to the Zu's, but the Wharfdales are definitely more resolving, and will do a much better job at producing the recording, without any obvious coloration, or emphasis of any particular frequency range. The Zu's just kind of 'mask' harsh treble, particularly on poor recordings.

Ok, so I have a decent range of amps of all classes - Class A, A/B, Class D - some DYI, and in terms of brands I own amps by Rotel, Oddyssey Audio, Schiit, Emotiva and others. Tried them all, still couldn't get to the point where I could listen to the Wharfedales and find the sound 'enjoyable'. I even tried tone controls, using a Schiit Loki, but there was still this 'harsh' edge that I just couldn't eliminate from the sound. Next I ordered a pair of JBL Studio 590's, thinking that for whatever reason, I just couldn't warm up to the Wharfedales. Well - I'm really annoyed at this point - the same thing happened - it still sounded harsh, shrill and 'etched' - no difference between the two sets of speakers in that regard. I really didn't expect that the DAC would make any difference, the D30 measures well, and DACs aren't supposed have a 'sound' - but at some point I decided to try a different DAC - some old no-name 'Ambery' brand DAC I had flying about in the garage, with some old Burr-Brown Chip, I don't remember which one. Well, imagine my surprise when this ancient, but well-built DAC sounded considerably better than the D30. Oh yes, some of the detail was lost, but what was there sounded considerably 'warmer' and fuller in the midrange, while making the treble bearable. So, while the D30 measures well, I don't like the way it sounds on a set of 'revealing' speakers.

your experience with the burr brown dac is similar to mine.. it has plenty of detail but perhaps not as much by todays standards.. it is a warmer, fuller sound.. the ares ii r2r has noticeably better bass, soundstage will be wider and the high end will be better. i dont find it bright or sibilant to my ears either.

Music1969

Major Contributor

terasankka

Yep as JA wrote (missing from @amirm 's measurements):

"The Ares II's output impedances were even higher, at 2.4k ohms, balanced, and 1.2k ohms, unbalanced. The Ares should not be used with preamplifiers or integrated amplifiers that have an input impedance less than 10k ohms."

https://www.stereophile.com/content/gramophone-dreams-40-denafrips-terminator-ares-ii-measurements

What does that actually mean for a "non-technical" person? I have the Ares II and Musical Fidelity M6si and it works great. I have no idea what the input impedance of the amp is.

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What does that actually mean for a "non-technical" person? I have the Ares II and Musical Fidelity M6si and it works great. I have no idea what the input impedance of the amp is.
Input impedance is often specified. If not, ask the company for it or search for measurements. Unless that impedance is variable however, its only effect will be reduced output from the DAC. To the extent your amplification gain is robust, that should not be a problem.

mansr

Major Contributor
Input impedance is often specified. If not, ask the company for it or search for measurements. Unless that impedance is variable however, its only effect will be reduced output from the DAC. To the extent your amplification gain is robust, that should not be a problem.
Inputs can be somewhat capacitive, which could cause some high-frequency roll-off with a weak source.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Inputs can be somewhat capacitive, which could cause some high-frequency roll-off with a weak source.

Not only the input can have a capacitance but the interlink cable may as well.
For 100kHz -3dB (flat at 20kHz) 900pF would be the total maximum capacitance.

terasankka

Not only the input can have a capacitance but the interlink cable may as well.
For 100kHz -3dB (flat at 20kHz) 900pF would be the total maximum capacitance.

I love this forum (no sarcasm here). I ask "What does that actually mean for a "non-technical" person?" and get this. :D You guys are awesome, I need to level up my audio tech lingo. :D ( I understand that the answer was more to Amirms comment, but still... :D)

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

When I did a blind level matched listening test I discovered I already had a "perfect" DAC 25 years ago :(
No more pointless dicking about for me on DACs, I had to find something else :)

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I did a blind level matched listening test I discovered I already had a "perfect" DAC 25 years ago :(
No more pointless dicking about for me on DACs, I had to find something else :)

Sometimes I wonder and should put back my old Wadia in the system and compare ...

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I love this forum (no sarcasm here). I ask "What does that actually mean for a "non-technical" person?" and get this. :D You guys are awesome, I need to level up my audio tech lingo. :D ( I understand that the answer was more to Amirms comment, but still... :D)

In laymans terms.. the difference between using it with an L30 (2.5kOhm and 50kOhm inputs) will mean in practice that on the L30 (in the gain setting where it is 2.5 kOhm) is that it will be 3.8dB softer in volume. The effect will be that you would have to turn up the volume a bit more.

When your amp is 10kOhm input then you would have to turn up the volume 1.1dB higher compared to a buffered DAC. In practice you thus won't notice it.

Of course, with a low impedance input distortion could be slightly higher (but still inaudible I presume) which we can only guess because it was never measured.
Just enjoy the DAC.

Top Bottom