• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

what are your industrial design favorites?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Without brakes? Not in my life!
The thing that makes it dangerous is drivers and pedesrians assume you can stop fast. Backpedling steep hills and traffic signals is no problem, but everyone still cuts you off and skid stopping actually burns through tires and is pretty dangerous. I moved out of the city 5 years ago, so I can not use a bicycle for basic transportation now anyway, but the bike with the stickers worked a lot better for safely navagating streets.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I'm pretty into vintage samplers and drum machines:

mpc-renaissance-1.png

I love this one. Akai had great tape decks too. I will obtain some day.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I've got to get jacked up on holidays like Fathers Day to take my dads 30-06 M1 Garand out for the day. My shoulders are a mess from years of lifting weights, getting drunk and crashing motorcycles and other assorted crazyness. For the big bangs I stick to big bore handguns like my S&W 460 Mag. she really roars, LOL
I shot an NRA highpower match with my M1 a few years ago. It was not horrible, but I will stick to AR-15s for the sport going forward.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I so wanted these, but W-A-Y more expensive than I could afford at the time!
The first 'high end' shop I frequented, Sound Gallery in Winter Park Fl, sold Lecson. I don't know why, as it was a pretty odd thing at the time, here in the US. I think it was to 'compete' with the then popular Danish modern B&O gear sold by the McIntosh dealer, across the street. Other 'high end' at the store consisted of brands few know, today--> Dunlap Clarke amps, Quintessence Group preamplifiers, DQ-10 loudspeakers.

They also sold a preamp from AEA, Analog Engineering Associates, which had a nice 'clean' industrial design. It featured a plexiglass cover so you could admire the circuitry.

520_Inside_Large.jpg

520_Face.jpg

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This beauty…
Naked 44.jpg

…still has a certain elegance of design and execution that, surprisingly, few other manufacturers have ‘borrowed’

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Me too, the arm is unique but logical.
I've heard of tube rolling, but can you roll the ball at the pivot? I can just imagine the tweako reviews: The Titleist Pro V imparted more midrange liquidity than the Callaway Chrome Soft which made the highs shine. But neither firmed up the bass as well as the TaylorMade TP5.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Industrial design means first it works, then it is also pleasing.
Standard wood pencil. You know what it is, know how to use it. Never equaled.
Eames chair,. Parsons table.
Jaguar XKE, If a car can be sexy, it is, though I think the original Rabbit/Golf was superb.
Zippo lighter. It just works.
DC-3. If a child draws an airplane, it will look like the Gooney Bird.
Braun and B&O, had many successful designs. They did not make the controls impossible to see or use. The old Sony table radio. Classic.

Feanor

Forum Donor
I've one in 45-70. With the default blackpowder level loads not too bad. With some hot loads definitely not for the recoil averse.

You can get one in .223 if you wanted. Kind of a heavy rifle for that however.

But I know what you mean. Recoil isn't as fun as you get older.
Speaking of recoil, I guess you'd hate the Holland & Holland .700 Nitro Express, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.700_Nitro_Express) ...
1604422271367.png

1604422385190.png

With muzzle energy at 12,100+ joules, (as much as the .50 Browning Machine Gun round), I can't imagine firing one of these. :oops:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well Braun has already been mentioned, though I think we ought to mention the designer, Dieter Rams. I'd buy this in a flash regardless of how it measures.

1604424216433.png

I see a few Charles and Ray Eames designs in this thread, but here's another:

1604424394450.png

If were going to talk furniture, I think it's fair to mention Danish designers that helped create the "mid century modern" craze. People like Arne Jacobsen

1604425433353.png

Finally we should also probably mention the names of Giugiaro, Pininfarina, Zagato, and Bertone for their contribution to our postered walls.

1604425037917.png

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaking of recoil, I guess you'd hate the Holland & Holland .700 Nitro Express, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.700_Nitro_Express) ...
View attachment 91196
View attachment 91197

With muzzle energy at 12,100+ joules, (as much as the .50 Browning Machine Gun round), I can't imagine firing one of these. :oops:
I too would hate taking that out hunting though I know people did and do.

As for shooting it, I think I'd pass. I've shot various rifles a few times with 4000 ft-lbs of energy (about 5400 joules), and that is plenty for me. I like to keep it around 3000 or less. Like a 30-06 in a hunting rifle.

Top Bottom