• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

what are your industrial design favorites?

DChenery

Forum Donor
My fav B&O Design (original 1978)

1604048247800.png

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Although I have little desire to become an LP listener (inconvenience/time/money/space), I really like to look at some nicely designed turntables, be it vintage or current models.
Pro-ject has surprisingly large portfolio, ranging from minimalist to "more extravagant", or even "artist collection".
Some nice examples of "minimalist" (more of listed below are available in various colors):
T1-1.png

Essential-III.jpg

rpm-5-carbon-1.jpg

X1-1.png

Debut_Carbon_Recordmaster_HiRes_3.png

debutcarbonrecordmasterhires-1-1.jpg

2Xperience-The-Beatles-White-Album-3.png

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The spectacles I'm currently wearing are the single favourite piece of design I own:

MASSADA+Interstellar+Space+P+B.jpg

My lenses are clear but it's this frame. Some hipster Swiss brand (Massada) but they smartly outsourced manufacturing to those artisanal Japanese makers. Made in white gold-plated titanium. I got it off a grey market retailer for a huge discount, enough that I couldn't find anything in the price range I liked with remotely comparable specs. I was a sucker for the beautiful polished tapered temples:

http://instagr.am/p/Bl5bRxPHFDy/
Too many metal frames are too flat or wiry. I like how it has some heft towards the end and the rounded profile. Inspired by Brâncuși's "Bird in Space" apparently:

1604336118313.png

Broke it after I slept on it, got a repair kit from the manufacturers, only for Specsavers to fuck it up permanently. Thought it'd be a straightforward repair, but they stripped the thread in the hinge, because the Specsavers man thought it was just using a simple Philips screw. Don't blame him though. Instead, I was told at the posh London optician I had to send it to salvage it that high-end Japanese frames like these use a more sophisticated nut, bolt and washer setup to tweak the angle it opens to get the right clearance from the lenses, as well as keep the tension spot-on for longer.

Specsavers charged me 15 quid to fuck it up. Posh optician charged me 20 to unfuck it the best they could and then actually reassemble it correctly. Talk about penny wise, pound foolish...

Willem

Major Contributor
Matsuda it was - I had some as well. They were exceptionally well made, and could indeed be repaired with spare parts.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I really liked the hardcore design of the early VTL amps, that was part of what spurred me to buy mine in 1990.
IMG_0676.jpg

Robin L

Master Contributor
This has become one of my favorite industrial designs:

cJolRuxYSgqdFtmFawp8_yJ6M80CfTZGYMcNKc5of_0cYrqmTrQFOf4cbRVO6t_H6xx Reshoot32572.jpg

The 'phones stay on my head, even if head is tilted back, but I don't feel much pressure. The band is metal, the earpads are comfy and breathable, everything feels sturdy.

And they sound great.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone have experience with the Vitsoe shelves and chairs/sofas in their homes?

I have the shelves in one room. They're iconic and great looking, no question, and work well in every way except one - if you want to feed cables up to the back of something, you have to tilt the shelf way up at the front to increase the gap, and then let it down again, whereupon it will pinch anything fatter than, say, a standard mains cable.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Top Bottom