• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem to introduce new models!

Vasr

Major Contributor
$3,499 - AVM70 Pre/Pro
$6,499 - AVM90 Pre/Pro

I was right on the money for the AVM70 pricing guess. But AVM90 is $3k extra for an upgraded DAC chip and 2 more sub outs! ... totally ridiculous. This is just a flagship strategy just to sell the AVM70 as "value" and a few to those who must have the top of the line.

Hopefully, they have not crippled the performance of the AVM70 to do an upsell. It will put a lot of pressure on the Dirac based units.

And for people who didn't believe me that OSD was going to be a thing of the past in the HTP-1 thread... :cool:

Codec logos seem to be stenciled into the faceplate... YUCK!

Last edited:

lovemusic

Have they done away with DTS Play-fi? Will be a big drawback, if I cant connect to Tidal Connect or Amazon HD.

Last edited:

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was right on the money for the AVM70 pricing guess. But AVM90 is $3k extra for an upgraded DAC chip and 2 more sub outs! ... totally ridiculous. This is just a flagship strategy just to sell the AVM70 as "value" and a few to those who must have the top of the line.

Hopefully, they have not crippled the performance of the AVM70 to do an upsell. It will put a lot of pressure on the Dirac based units.

And for people who didn't believe me that OSD was going to be a thing of the past in the HTP-1 thread... :cool:

Codec logos seem to be stenciled into the faceplate... YUCK!
Does this mean it doesn’t support any kind of OSD? For example, my x8500 I can show what surround mode I am in, what speakers are active etc with one button and show it on the screen. To get this kind of info do you have to use a web browser/app now?

Dmitri

Forum Donor
I’m out. I suspected s much, but the AVM 70 is crippled by the 90 in my book. $3500 to settle for second just really bugs me, (I know, I’m getting old...everything’s too damned expensive in my view) and $6500 for a pre pro is just flat insane in my book. I know there are enthusiasts out there that will likely disagree, but multiple channels for home audio and video and gee wiz codecs, cool as they are...simply aren’t worth all those shekels. Most of us do not live in that fiscal universe. Anthem’s ARC is awsome...so they can apply whatever premium they want I guess and beyond research and support max out profit... but Damn....how about a simple 7 channel pre pro with ARC and up to date HDMI and HDCP specs for the rest of us? I’m willing to pay a bit more for a 7 channel receiver “sans” amps, allowing added profit for a basically less expensive to construct pre pro so I can use my preferred outboard, or already existing amplification.

I love ARC, got a taste and they’ve got me hooked...and I applaud their contributions in that regard to my listening and viewing experience. But have mercy Anthem! Is there really not a market out there for a simpler up to date pre pro?

markus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I’m out. I suspected s much, but the AVM 70 is crippled by the 90 in my book. $3500 to settle for second just really bugs me, (I know, I’m getting old...everything’s too damned expensive in my view) and $6500 for a pre pro is just flat insane in my book. I know there are enthusiasts out there that will likely disagree, but multiple channels for home audio and video and gee wiz codecs, cool as they are...simply aren’t worth all those shekels. Most of us do not live in that fiscal universe. Anthem’s ARC is awsome...so they can apply whatever premium they want I guess and beyond research and support max out profit... but Damn....how about a simple 7 channel pre pro with ARC and up to date HDMI and HDCP specs for the rest of us? I’m willing to pay a bit more for a 7 channel receiver “sans” amps, allowing added profit for a basically less expensive to construct pre pro so I can use my preferred outboard, or already existing amplification.

I love ARC, got a taste and they’ve got me hooked...and I applaud their contributions in that regard to my listening and viewing experience. But have mercy Anthem! Is there really not a market out there for a simpler up to date pre pro?

I agree. An inexpensive 8 channel device that doesn't try to double functionality that already comes with the display or player and a useful feature set is missing. How much would you be willing to spend?

markus

Does this mean it doesn’t support any kind of OSD? For example, my x8500 I can show what surround mode I am in, what speakers are active etc with one button and show it on the screen. To get this kind of info do you have to use a web browser/app now?

Yep.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bummer. I know this isn’t a big deal to many, but getting some basic info on the screen without having to use iOS/android device etc is not something I want to deal with. This may be a direction some manufacturers are going, but I don’t like it.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

markus

Bummer. I know this isn’t a big deal to many, but getting some basic info on the screen without having to use iOS/android device etc is not something I want to deal with. This may be a direction some manufacturers are going, but I don’t like it.

If devices generally wouldn't be so buggy, there probably wouldn't be any reason to check that information all the time ;)

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@cbrents73, after the official launch and you can talk about such things :) ... Can you use ARC room correction on zone 2/3 on any of the new models?
I love the aesthetic/look of these. Very nice. My only wishes would have been..
-At least one receiver that had 4 sub outs
-OSD
-Roon client built in
Look forward to having some of them tested here by Amir.

temps

I agree. An inexpensive 8 channel device that doesn't try to double functionality that already comes with the display or player and a useful feature set is missing. How much would you be willing to spend?

Okto DAC-8 ain't that expensive for what you get. It's pretty much the only DA converter that has its own volume and remote controls. Combine that with a PC running Dirac Live and you get vastly better conversion than any AVR and equivalent room EQ. The whole setup would be clunkier than an AVR but if you made your PC your primary source for everything, it wouldn't be so bad.

Add an inexpensive HypeX module for each amplifier channel and you hover in that $2,500+ price range of high end AVRs, with massively better performance, but a worse UI. The DAC-8 only having AES inputs is a huge pain in the butt if you have to manage multiple sources though.

Timbo2

If you're going to be buying the latest and greatest and 8K is a desired feature you may want to make sure it doesn't use the same Panasonic chip or suffer from the same bug that is impacting Denon/Marantz and Yamaha in their new line of AVRs.

My understanding is that it is a hardware issue that likely isn't fixable in firmware.

First HDMI 2.1 receivers reportedly have faulty HDMI 2.1 chip

D

Deleted member 19195

@cbrents73, after the official launch and you can talk about such things :) ... Can you use ARC room correction on zone 2/3 on any of the new models?
I love the aesthetic/look of these. Very nice. My only wishes would have been..
-At least one receiver that had 4 sub outs
-OSD
-Roon client built in
Look forward to having some of them tested here by Amir.

Roon capability will be coming in a future update. It is a chromecast device.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Okto DAC-8 ain't that expensive for what you get. It's pretty much the only DA converter that has its own volume and remote controls. Combine that with a PC running Dirac Live and you get vastly better conversion than any AVR and equivalent room EQ. The whole setup would be clunkier than an AVR but if you made your PC your primary source for everything, it wouldn't be so bad.

Add an inexpensive HypeX module for each amplifier channel and you hover in that $2,500+ price range of high end AVRs, with massively better performance, but a worse UI. The DAC-8 only having AES inputs is a huge pain in the butt if you have to manage multiple sources though.
Sounds nice, but it's still not complete until you can decode surround formats like TrueHD and DTS HD MA.

Vasr

Major Contributor

We don't know what will be on the bigger unit display itself (but some people will still complain that they hide their unit away and cannot see it). The functions would ideally be split between things that you need for daily use (on device display) and occasional settings change (web/app UI).

Practically speaking, having an OSD comes with a great cost to serve a few OCD/legacy needs. If the OSD isn't an overlay on video content, it will look outdated. If it is an overlay, then you have introduced a need for video processing in the unit that adds to heat, cost and complexity and potentially impact noise/performance. People who prize sound quality should be thankful for removing all that processing circuitry. Better design for the future is to make that information be sent as meta data over the HDMI with the display being able to overlay it.

As we get into higher and higher resolutions, the old "VGA resolution" OSD starts to look very bad and dated. Increasing the resolution of the OSD non-linearly increases the amount of video processing needed just to accommodate it.

Adding any kind of interactivity to the OSD requires considerable low-level firmware that complicates updates and purposing buttons on the remote to do so (for example, just maintaining the context of where you were if the OSD is turned on and off rather than starting from the main menu which is annoying requires a state machine to be maintained). All these are solved problems, of course, but as the functionality increases, these things get way too complex with impact on updates, maintenance and support.

I would rather that all that effort went into the quality of the audio than serve a niche market that will take time to switch over out of habit. But a transition is never without protests from those who like the "old way".

Vasr

Major Contributor
If you're going to be buying the latest and greatest and 8K is a desired feature you may want to make sure it doesn't use the same Panasonic chip or suffer from the same bug that is impacting Denon/Marantz and Yamaha in their new line of AVRs.

My understanding is that it is a hardware issue that likely isn't fixable in firmware.

First HDMI 2.1 receivers reportedly have faulty HDMI 2.1 chip

The specs say it is hardware upgradable to 2.1. I would not be surprised at all if it actually has the flawed chip inside right now (seems silly to provide only 2.0 at this price level at the end of 2020) but they firmware limited it to 2.0 for the launch after this bug was discovered (rather than launch it with the bug).

Top Bottom