• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magnepan LRS Speaker Review

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hehe, I was in search of the panther after going through the entire review report :p

Haint

Amirm, ignoring the tonality, can you give more detailed impressions of the the dipole sound field and what you thought of it in comparison to traditional speakers? The only comments I've ever read on it were either from invested owners, or shills/salesmen trying to push panels.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We need a confused panther for stuff like this.
I haven't found the one you request but how about this one? :)
Rare-Vintage-1982-Pink-Panther-Ceramic-Figurine-Original.jpg

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems begging to be wall-mounted. I don't get why people don't wall-mount panels more. No SBIR, 2pi radiation environment. Downside is that there is no dipole cancellation to maintain directivity down to, and below, Shroeder of course.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems begging to be wall-mounted. I don't get why people don't wall-mount panels more. No SBIR, 2pi radiation environment. Downside is that there is no dipole cancellation to maintain directivity down to, and below, Shroeder of course.
This is impossible since they radiate half of the acoustic energy on the backside.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Thanks a lot for the detailed review. As someone who never heard panels, I guess I understand why their only serious use is in tweeter units. But now I wonder how a 3-way model with an integrated subwoofer using a DSP crossover might solve some issues it has (isn't it what Magnepan is trying to develop?).

Wall mounting isn't flush mounting. Though I guess the Magnepans are so thin there's not much difference.

Last edited:

milosz

Forum Donor
A $650 speaker shouldn’t need a $6500 amplifier to sound great.
These don't. Any amp with a fair amount of power that can handle the low impedance will work fine. For example, you can buy a used Parasound HCA1000a for $500 and it will drive these speakers beautifully.

These speakers can do quite a reasonable job reproducing symphonic music in a manner that generally sounds more realistic than any other sub-$1000 speaker I've heard. Also decent for acoustic jazz. Probably not a good speaker for pop, disco, hip-hop, metal, action movies....

Yes, you do have to fiddle with placement.

They are dipoles. Just like open-baffle speakers they drive the room differently at the low end than boxes. I don't think Amirm's measurement method is completely valid for dipoles or open baffle designs. I'd like to see his speaker measurement technique applied to the very well regarded LX521. It was designed by Siegfried Linkwitz. You know, of the Linkwitz-Riley crossover.... not exactly a hack when it comes to audio design, I daresay. I'd bet flaws in this Klippel measurement design would show up there, too.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
These don't. Any amp with a fair amount of power that can handle the low impedance will work fine. For example, you can buy a used Parasound HCA1000a for $500 and it will drive these speakers beautifully.
You add $500 to the price and you reach the price of active models like the 8030C, though. I'm personally more interested in the bigger models, even if the vertical beaming won't change with those.

They are dipoles. Just like open-baffle speakers they drive the room differently at the low end than boxes.
Sorry, couldn't resist: what low end?

I don't think Amirm's measurement method is completely valid for dipoles or open baffle designs. I'd like to see his speaker measurement technique applied to the very well regarded LX521. It was designed by Siegfried Linkwitz. You know, of the Linkwitz-Riley crossover.... not exactly a hack when it comes to audio design, I daresay. I'd bet flaws in this Klippel measurement design would show up there, too.
Might be, but I think there's a bit of wishful thinking here.

edechamps

Forum Donor
Vertical Offset
Preference Rating

SCORE: 1.0

@MZKM Loudspeaker Explorer computes a score of -0.3, not 1.0, using the data set @amirm attached to the review (which I presume is the vertically offset one, judging from the name). This is surprising as your calculation is usually identical to mine. I computed NBD_ON=0.728806, NBD_PIR=0.433469, SM_PIR=0.191031, LFX=2.383275. Can you provide your breakdown?

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

These speakers can do quite a reasonable job reproducing symphonic music in a manner that generally sounds more realistic than any other sub-$1000 speaker I've heard. Also decent for acoustic jazz. Probably not a good speaker for pop, disco, hip-hop, metal, action movies....

Yes, you do have to fiddle with placement.

They are dipoles. Just like open-baffle speakers they drive the room differently at the low end than boxes. I don't think Amirm's measurement method is completely valid for dipoles or open baffle designs. I'd like to see his speaker measurement technique applied to the very well regarded LX521. It was designed by Siegfried Linkwitz. You know, of the Linkwitz-Riley crossover.... not exactly a hack when it comes to audio design, I daresay. I'd bet flaws in this Klippel measurement design would show up there, too.
Yeah, I wasn‘t talking about these specifically, but in general, like people who say you need a $3000 amp to make the LS50 shine.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@MZKM Loudspeaker Explorer computes a score of -0.3, not 1.0, using the data set @amirm attached to the review (which I presume is the vertically offset one, judging from the name). This is surprising as your calculation is usually identical to mine. I computed NBD_ON=0.728806, NBD_PIR=0.433469, SM_PIR=0.191031, LFX=2.383275. Can you provide your breakdown?
Similar:
NBD_ON: ~0.73
NBD_PIR: ~0.43
SM_PIR: ~0.19
LFX: 2.1

The LFX is what is causing the large difference.

AVG SPL 300-1000: 82.3dB
-6dB: 76.3dB
Hz matching 76.3dB: 124.5Hz

Whoops, you are correct. Mine was limited in the upper frequency range to account for high Q dips, but this one really is -6dB @ 241.7Hz, due to the narrow dispersion in the bass. Will fix.

Last edited:
Top Bottom