• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE vs Benchmark DAC3 HGC

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Almost seems like it's more like a piece of laboratory equipment than a piece of audio gear.
I have used plenty of lab gear and its far more difficult than that :)

Its difficult to explain to people that havent tried it but the combination of buttons and dials with different functions, and the way they interact means that you are guaranteed to press the wrong thing.

Last edited:
OP
L

Logan Nolag

I have used plenty of lab gear and its far more difficult than that :)

Its difficult to explain to people that havent tried it bu the combination of buttons and dials with different functions and the way they interact means that you are guaranteed to press the wrong thing.

So it's more a poorly designed menu system than a complicated one? Complicated I can deal with.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You just need to get used to the Menus on the RME.

If you need to change settings often, you'll get used to it, since the functions are where they're supposed to be.
If not, then you'll struggle a bit more.
Not for basic functionalities, of course, but for advanced settings.

I'm quite comfortable with it now, personnaly.

OP
L

Logan Nolag

If you need to change settings often, you'll get used to it, since the functions are where they're supposed to be.

I'm quite comfortable with it personnaly.

I watched the videos for the DAC only version on youtube and it doesn't seem that hard. I understand the pro version has more menus but from what I saw on youtube it doesn't look that bad.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I watched the videos for the DAC only version on youtube and it doesn't seem that hard. I understand the pro version has more menus but from what I saw on youtube it doesn't look that bad.
It's not.
The important thing is that there is a logic behind it. Nothing is random.

If I dare a comparison: I own a first generation Sony A7R camera and a pro Canon 1DX.
The Canon has way more possible settings.
But, once you understand the general philosophy, you find your way quite easily.
For the Sony, the menus look like all functions were distributed randomly.
I own it since 2013 and I still can't find anything in the Menus without a lot of trials and errors.
The RME is like the Canon.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I wonder if the DAC4 will have a competitive refresh.

DAC2 HGC here.

I never think about it unless I have to turn it back on after a Utility Power glitch, or am performing some experiment.

Volume and EQ settings and Source Selection and ADC occur elsewhere.

Even after seven years, no lust for a new DAC.

OP
L

Logan Nolag

It's not.
The important thing is that there is a logic behind it. Nothing is random.

If I dare a comparison: I own a first generation Sony A7R camera and a pro Canon 1DX.
The Canon has way more possible settings.
But, once you understand the general philosophy, you find your way quite easily.
For the Sony, the menus look like all functions were distributed randomly.
I own it since 2013 and I still can't find anything in the Menus without a lot of trials and errors.
The RME is like the Canon.

In that case I don't think I'll have a problem. I've been shooting Sony for years and I know what you mean about their menus but unlike a lot of people I never really had a problem with them so if the RME menu is more logically laid out than the Sony menu I think I'll be fine.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if the DAC4 will have a competitive refresh.

DAC2 HGC here.

I never think about it unless I have to turn it back on after a Utility Power glitch, or am performing some experiment.

Volume and EQ settings and Source Selection and ADC occur elsewhere.

Even after seven years, no lust for a new DAC.
What if I could offer you the new Liquid Lusteriun Seven DAC?

It uses 1024 paralleled DAC chips per channel to lower noise by 30 db. Plus the entire chassis is bathed in liquid helium in a vacuum sealed enclosure. This lowers noise by another 20 db. Making the Liquid Lusteriun capable of a noise level of -180 dbV. A-wtd. We've only scratched the surface of the extreme capabilities of this DAC.

Feeling any lust now Ray?

OP
L

Logan Nolag

What if I could offer you the new Liquid Lusteriun Seven DAC?

It uses 1024 paralleled DAC chips per channel to lower noise by 30 db. Plus the entire chassis is bathed in liquid helium in a vacuum sealed enclosure. This lowers noise by another 20 db. Making the Liquid Lusteriun capable of a noise level of -180 dbV. A-wtd. We've only scratched the surface of the extreme capabilities of this DAC.

You joke but at the rate things are going I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this one day soon.

ririt

The HT bypass feature of the Benchmark allows me to integrate my audio system consistently with my home theater, so there’s another added plus.
Logan Nolag can you please further describe how you achieve it? How did you s DAC with your home theater receiver?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Does it come with a liquifaction plant?

This one is kinda bulky.

1599804697881.png

Might be more than I need:

Power Consumption: 8.4 kW @ 60Hz

Colonel Bogey

Not for basic functionalities, of course, but for advanced settings.

I'm quite comfortable with it now, personnaly.

So am I now, not at all that hard. But I do recommend at least skimming through the manual.

First evening, I happened to accidentaly put the RME in the "digital trough" mode (-0dB) while my Genelecs were powered on and a CD with contemporary orchestral music was in the player. Total protonic reversal...

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
IMO the analog input to output of the Benchmark for your phono amp is the deciding factor. On the other hand the AutoRef feature for the ADI-2 is a lot more convenient and smart than switching jumpers, even if done once.

About the menus, see them for yourself.

therobin

One thing people tend to forget about the Benchmark is the number of input/outputs it has. It has 2 OPT, 2 COAX, 1 USB and 2 analog inputs. That makes is extremely versatile unit in many setups allowing for many devices to be connected. You can use it with a turntable and maybe an old video game console that doesn't have digital audio out (which turned out perfect for me). On top of that, it has 1 XLR output and 2 RCA outputs. Can output one to amp and one to a subwoofer even if your amp is RCA input. Another thing that goes under the radar is the Benchmark's USB input can switch from class 1 and class 2 operartion at the press of a button. This allows easy compatiblity where needed.

dortreo

One thing people tend to forget about the Benchmark is the number of input/outputs it has. It has 2 OPT, 2 COAX, 1 USB and 2 analog inputs. That makes is extremely versatile unit in many setups allowing for many devices to be connected. You can use it with a turntable and maybe an old video game console that doesn't have digital audio out (which turned out perfect for me). On top of that, it has 1 XLR output and 2 RCA outputs. Can output one to amp and one to a subwoofer even if your amp is RCA input. Another thing that goes under the radar is the Benchmark's USB input can switch from class 1 and class 2 operartion at the press of a button. This allows easy compatiblity where needed.

What's nice is that the voltage for the XLR voltage output can be varied via jumpers while the RCAs stay constant. So I use the Benchmark as my pre-amp running my main amps off the XLR outputs and a sub off the RCAs.

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
On the other hand the AutoRef feature for the ADI-2 is a lot more convenient and smart than switching jumpers, even if done once.

The AutoRef feature also preserves SINAD more effectively at various volume levels than a single jumper setting. It's the technically superior solution. The differences aren't likely audible though.

The continuously-variable loudness feature of the RME is another element that's hard to emulate with the Benchmark.

OP
L

Logan Nolag

Does the Benchmark have a phono pre? It seems like the analog ins are line level so you would still need a phono pre.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Excuse me if this is a stupid question, but could you just use a USB-TOSLINK or SPDIF adapter to your existing McIntosh and perhaps bypass auto-muting?

I have not had the opportunity to try RME, but I have owned a Benchmark DAC2 HGC for some time. With early firmware, I was put off by big power on/off thump and quirky volume control, and I complained about it. To their credit, their non-free firmware updates have greatly improved it and have been well worth the $50 investment IMO.

OP
L

Logan Nolag

Excuse me if this is a stupid question, but could you just use a USB-TOSLINK or SPDIF adapter to your existing McIntosh and perhaps bypass auto-muting?

I have not had the opportunity to try RME, but I have owned a Benchmark DAC2 HGC for some time. With early firmware, I was put off by big power on/off thump and quirky volume control, and I complained about it. To their credit, their non-free firmware updates have greatly improved it and have been well worth the $50 investment IMO.

That might work do you know of a good adapter?

Top Bottom