• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE vs Benchmark DAC3 HGC

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is something I don't get.
Don't you want to record your LPs in digital format?
At least to preserve them.

I always felt guilty by playing LPs.
Like plowing that poor vinyl plate with a diamond sword...
It looks like every time you do it, you cut some life out of it.

The RME ADC allows that.

OP
L

Logan Nolag

There is something I don't get.
Don't you want to record your LPs in digital format?
At least to preserve them.

I always felt guilty by playing LPs.
Like plowing that poor vinyl plate with a diamond sword...

The RME ADC allows that.

I don't actually have any records. I just have a turntable I got for free a few years ago and I like to be able to play records if I ever come across one. The analog inputs are mostly so I can attach my receivers preamp out's to it. My McIntosh has a home theater pass through mode which bypasses the volume control when the receiver is turned on. I understand that the Benchmark has a similar feature but I'm not sure if the RME does.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't actually have any records. I just have a turntable I got for free a few years ago and I like to be able to play records if I ever come across one. The analog inputs are mostly so I can attach my receivers preamp out's to it. My McIntosh has a home theater pass through mode which bypasses the volume control when the receiver is turned on. I understand that the Benchmark has a similar feature but I'm not sure if the RME does.
The RME has no analog pass through.
But, as you can read above, its ADC + DAC sums up to impressive SINAD anyway, so except for the added functionalities like EQ or Loudness, that shouldn't change the sound.

But why do you need that, to begin with ?
What receiver are you using ?

OP
L

Logan Nolag

The RME has no analog pass through.
But, as you can read above, its ADC + DAC sums up to impressive SINAD anyway, so except for the added functionalities like EQ or Loudness, that shouldn't change the sound.

But why do you need that, to begin with ?
What receiver are you using ?

I'm using a Marantz NR1711. The reason I use the pass through is because I'm not sure how else to hook up the Marantz and my Preamp to my amp.

OP
L

Logan Nolag

Another much cheaper option I'm contemplating is just getting a JDS El Amp 2 and El DAC 2 since the only parts of the McIntosh I'm not happy with are the DAC and headphone amp.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Yes I still go round in circles with the ADI menu system. Its an excellent performer however

Me, too.

I've had it for almost 2 years now and I still get lost.

And with added features via firmware updates, it's even deeper layers of confusion. Enough that I've misconfigured it a few times due to user error.

That being said, the performance and utility is mind blowing for the money 10 years ago this combination of capabilities would have cost $10k.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I'm using a Marantz NR1711. The reason I use the pass through is because I'm not sure how else to hook up the Marantz and my Preamp to my amp.

I wouldn't do that.

I'd just get an outboard RIAA and pipe it into the RME.

In fact, you could get a Puffin and use the digital out, which allow you to place the RIAA close to the TT for a short cable, and go digital for a longer run.

Or keep it analog if you prefer.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I have used plenty of lab gear and its far more difficult than that :)

Its difficult to explain to people that havent tried it bu the combination of buttons and dials with different functions and the way they interact means that you are guaranteed to press the wrong thing.

My favorite part of this experience is that if you go on the RME forums and ask for help after you did something wrong, you'll be chastised for not remembering everything mentioned in the 100+ page user manual and / or covered in the release notes of all subsequent firmware updates.

It's so German.

mattarms

I wouldn't do that.

I'd just get an outboard RIAA and pipe it into the RME.

In fact, you could get a Puffin and use the digital out[...]

Hi watchnerd, I'm confused by what you wouldn't do here, since you replied to a message about home theater bypass and AVRs by suggesting phono stage devices. ?

As I understand it the OP connects a Marantz AVR into their current system using home theater bypass inputs (line level inputs that bypass volume controls). The Benchmark DAC has home theater bypass, so the OP could buy it and do the same. I'm not sure how to achieve the same with an RME (whether PRO or DAC). I'm curious if the RME can achieve the same, somehow...one of the reasons I'm watching this thread.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Hi watchnerd, I'm confused by what you wouldn't do here, since you replied to a message about home theater bypass and AVRs by suggesting phono stage devices. ?

As I understand it the OP connects a Marantz AVR into their current system using home theater bypass inputs (line level inputs that bypass volume controls). The Benchmark DAC has home theater bypass, so the OP could buy it and do the same. I'm not sure how to achieve the same with an RME (whether PRO or DAC). I'm curious if the RME can achieve the same, somehow...one of the reasons I'm watching this thread.

I was responding to this part of the OP:

"I need the ADI-Pro since I require analog inputs because once I get rid of my C47 I will need to use the phono preamp in my receiver for my turntable."

OP
L

Logan Nolag

I was responding to this part of the OP:

"I need the ADI-Pro since I require analog inputs because once I get rid of my C47 I will need to use the phono preamp in my receiver for my turntable."

Amongst other things. I'm not just interested in the Phono stage. I have multiple other analog sources. I'm also using an old Marantz 2265b as a tuner and I have a 1/8 aux cable that I occasionally use to hook up other devices with headphone outputs for example.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Amongst other things. I'm not just interested in the Phono stage. I have multiple other analog sources. I'm also using an old Marantz 2265b as a tuner and I have a 1/8 aux cable that I occasionally use to hook up other devices with headphone outputs for example.

Makes sense if you have that many analog IO needs.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the Benchmark DAC3L. The best features I like are the precise analog volume control, even by the remote, that it makes absolutely no thumps or noises of any kind while switching or powering up and down, and that the output stage is robust enough to handle a relatively low sensitivity amp and two stages of XLR splitters.

Is it just me, or are these half-width form factors a PITA for DAC/pre-amps with a bunch of connectors and complicated control settings? It is especially annoying on the DAC3, since this is a relatively expensive component. For amplifiers small form factors are fine, perhaps advantageous, but for anything like a pre-amp, I'm not pleased.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Is it just me, or are these half-width form factors a PITA for DAC/pre-amps with a bunch of connectors and complicated control settings? It is especially annoying on the DAC3, since this is a relatively expensive component. For amplifiers small form factors are fine, perhaps advantageous, but for anything like a pre-amp, I'm not pleased.

I'm not quite following.

Meaning you find it inconvenient to use a desktop size component in a full size audio rack?

That being said, I do get frustrated with the IO on my ADI-2 Pro.

OP
L

Logan Nolag

I'm not quite following.

Meaning you find it inconvenient to use a desktop size component in a full size audio rack?

What's wrong with the IO?

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not quite following.

I find it inconvenient to connect multiple cables on to a tiny back panel, with nearly unreadable markings unless you're looking directly at the back panel. Also, at least on the DAC3, the tiny markings on the front panel are difficult to see if one has less than good eyesight, like I do. It just seems like a full 17" width would have been much more user-friendly.

Top Bottom