• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ultimate 1ET400A Purifi Amplifier sonic shootout - €820 to €8,344

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why are we arguing with @Ric Schultz? He can just send his modded amplifier to Amir and we will see what's up.

He admits it will measure the same. According to him, the difference is readily heard, but not measurable.

I do have to say that at least he doesn’t charge an outrageous amount of money for his “tweeks”.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
In terms of feature no. In terms of performance, they are likely the same. It is always going to be hard, if not impossible for small manufacturers to compete on features while being price competitive, the economies of scale make it prohibitive. I would expect a product like you envision to come from a company like Emotiva that has larger volumes, but also the pricing advantage of a direct seller.
Wait and see :)

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You want the cheapest, or good?

Cheapest is VTV, but the assembly quality is poor. Next are the audiophonics and nord, then March audio. As you go up in price you get better cases, assembly quality and qc testing.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What's the cheapest way to get a good 1ET400A stereo amplifier that accepts XLR inputs?

there seem to be so many brands and pricing and availability are all over the map, it's hard to figure this out!
I would choose the new Apollon Purifi Mini amp for 1.5k euros.

Apollon-Purifi-Stereo-Amplifier-Inside-Top-Iso-view.jpg

Last edited:

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
What's the cheapest way to get a good 1ET400A stereo amplifier that accepts XLR inputs?

there seem to be so many brands and pricing and availability are all over the map, it's hard to figure this out!
Ignoring the bs noise here VTV is a very good choice. Good price, and if you want an improved buffer stage, the VTV board is a superior choice IMO. Features Sparko regulators and you can adjust the gain which can be very useful for system matching.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Feanor

Forum Donor
You want the cheapest, or good?

Cheapest is VTV, but the assembly quality is poor. Next are the audiophonics and nord, then March audio. As you go up in price you get better cases, assembly quality and qc testing.
I very recently bought a VTV NC252MP. My experience is that assembly quality is fine. In my case there was no evidence of loose screws or sloppy drilling of mounting holes. The NC252MP is secured with eleven screws and all were properly used in my instance. Of course this is a non-custom case so there are additional holes accommodate other types of module

If you live in North America you might also want consider shipping times in this Covid age in which case VTV is likely to beat the other makers.
sml-DSCF0984.jpg

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Audiophonics' 2-channel HPA Purifi amp is about €1500 including VAT. I purchased it from them earlier this summer. (I'm in the U.S. so I didn't have to pay VAT, and with international shipping it cost me a little under $1500US aka €1300 give or take.)

They also have the same basic amp in a smaller chassis for about €1350 including VAT. Shipping is extra of course.

Last edited:

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I very recently bought a VTV NC252MP. My experience is that assembly quality is fine. In my case there was no evidence of loose screws or sloppy drilling of mounting holes. The NC252MP is secured with eleven screws and all were properly used in my instance. Of course this is a non-custom case so there are additional holes accommodate other types of module

If you live in North America you might also want consider shipping times in this Covid age in which case VTV is likely to beat the other makers.
.View attachment 79366

Keeping in mind that he still doesn't wire the XLR's correctly and the soldering quality is pretty poor. I have the same amp, but have fixed those issues, which incidentally, fixed the turn off pop it had. For shits and giggles, I also added thermal paste between the amp bottom and case, not required, but aids in keeping the module a little cooler. Interestingly, when I removed the screws from the bottom of the amp to remove it from the case, he had a couple that were much shorter for no reason. While I believe in saving money, I still think he needs to charge $50 more and get a qualified tech to assemble these things.

Feanor

Forum Donor
Keeping in mind that he still doesn't wire the XLR's correctly and the soldering quality is pretty poor. I have the same amp, but have fixed those issues, which incidentally, fixed the turn off pop it had. For shits and giggles, I also added thermal paste between the amp bottom and case, not required, but aids in keeping the module a little cooler. Interestingly, when I removed the screws from the bottom of the amp to remove it from the case, he had a couple that were much shorter for no reason. While I believe in saving money, I still think he needs to charge $50 more and get a qualified tech to assemble these things.
Or one could do these things oneself and save 50 bucks.

I haven't notice a turn off pop -- perhaps he addressed these issues. My amp seems to have the XLR connectors properly grounded. At least for the NC525MP, the flat heat sink bottom plate is secured to the flat bottom of the case with no fewer than 11 screws; thermal paste isn't prescribed by Hypex and probably completely superfluous.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is on their website for the Premium amplifiers, should be similar, lower height and no heat sinks.

View attachment 79372
Great. I may imagine based on their other pictures.
106923366_1159138421137195_3254090149337344236_o.jpg

Could be a hell of a pair with my white Evoke 20s!
20181203134410_dynaudio_evoke_10_white_-_lifestyle_close-up_1~3.png

...If someone has these premium cases from Apollon, I'm wondering: Is the logo act as a power button?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm wondering: Is the logo act as a power button?
I don't think so. At least on the Mini the button is in front below the unit, you can see the knob there on the underplate.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On Apollon website it says the "mono block amplifier has a soft start function and it is turned on with a hidden push button switch on the bottom lid. "

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
These are gorgeous in both black and white. My worry with the white is that the color will yellow a bit over time. Anyone know something more about this? I think Hegel says that their white Rost is actually painted white(ish). These might be too.
Yes, these are painted as well. Don't know if they will yellow on the long run though...

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
For info, as I have seen recent forum commentary on this, the Hypex modules all display a degree of switch off click. It is variable and doing certain things can minimise it. It can be completely eliminated but does require additional circuitry to do so. Any implementation without this cicuitry is liable to have some degree of click. (yes we have this circuitry ;))

Last edited:

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Keeping in mind that he still doesn't wire the XLR's correctly and the soldering quality is pretty poor.
The XLRs are wired correctly, and the soldering is fine, no cold solder joints. Pretty does not make it sound any better.

Top Bottom