• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Legal/Insurance status of non-UL (US) listed mains current equipment.

Shortly before the moderator closed the recent VTV amplifier thread a poster brought up what I think is a legitimate question: How can a US manufacturer sell a non certified piece of electrical equipment? Obviously if you build a kit or buy some brand X amplifier from China it is on you, but aren't there rules here and in most developed countries? And come to think of it, I am not real sure why you can import the Chinese amp. Amir has previously mentioned being uncomfortable with unlisted equipment on mains current, and I am as well. Anyone with a regulatory background want to enlighten us? Is safety certification somehow optional?

sgent

NRTL electrical certification (of which UL is one) is only legally required:
  • When installing into a building or as a fixture and is subject to the National Electrical Code / building inspector
  • When used at a workplace covered by OSHA (the vast majority)
It is also traditionally required for
  • Retailers to stock your product
  • Insurance companies to issue you a product liability policy
Online marketplaces don't require it because as of yet they haven't been subject to liability; however, Best Buy, in store Wal-Mart, etc. do.

OP
O
Thanks for explaining that, yet another reason I should have gone to law school.

Top Bottom