• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Having a Feeling of Shame Gives Rise to Courage--SMSL M500 V2

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For the record, I am only replying to posts not rants (as I never claimed anything deliberately)...as always, enjoy your musical experience!

Veri

Master Contributor
Very interesting video, especially post 9:18 minutes:

Ah yes, the Hans Beekhuyzen Channel :facepalm: Seriously though, your username ends on 'expert' but these past pages all you're sharing/spreading is audiophile nonsense the likes head-fi or other forums take for absolute truths. It's starting to get on my nerves, we are trying to be a better forum here. That means NOT posting "ears over measurements" propaganda on an audio science forum. Like, come on man.

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 09.02.35.png

You take this man serious??? Really? His theory is absolute nonsense, by the way. I have the feeling this guy has no engineering or electronics background whatsoever. This really is the age of misinformation... :(

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have the feeling this guy has no engineering or electronics background whatsoever.
He doesn't. His LinkedIn profile shows no technical degree. His only jobs has been sales and writing hifi articles.

He is personable and produces good videos. Alas, the content is almost always faulty, subjective audiophile nonsense.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He doesn't. His LinkedIn profile shows no technical degree. His only jobs has been sales and writing hifi articles.

He is personable and produces good videos. Alas, the content is almost always faulty, subjective audiophile nonsense.
Beard? check
Glasses? check
Bald? check
Seems trustworthy enough.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah yes, the Hans Beekhuyzen Channel :facepalm: Seriously though, your username ends on 'expert' but these past pages all you're sharing/spreading is audiophile nonsense the likes head-fi or other forums take for absolute truths. It's starting to get on my nerves, we are trying to be a better forum here. That means NOT posting "ears over measurements" propaganda on an audio science forum. Like, come on man.

View attachment 76574

You take this man serious??? Really? His theory is absolute nonsense, by the way. I have the feeling this guy has no engineering or electronics background whatsoever. This really is the age of misinformation... :(

My thoughts exactly. See some nonsense somewhere else, posit it here badged as a legit query.

Veri

Master Contributor
My thoughts exactly. See some nonsense somewhere else, posit it here badged as a legit query.
I mean if you want to make a thread about it to laugh with it and debunk it, sure. But to find it an "interesting" resource? Surely one should be more sceptical than that?? In any case, this M500 thread is not the place for it :/

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I mean if you want to make a thread about it to laugh with it and debunk it, sure. But to find it an "interesting" resource? Surely one should be more sceptical than that?? In any case, this M500 thread is not the place for it :/

Yup - usual muck post 9.18- vibration and cables. And of course linear power supply.

There is little point entering into a dialogue anymore as there will be another query about a firmware update/ connection/ hack/ myth along soon enough. Without ever saying something is wrong with existing set up. The misplaced belief planted by audiophools that there is a 5% improvement to be had somewhere by changing something other than a core component- and lets be honest, that component would have to be the transducers even then.

Veri

Master Contributor
The misplaced belief planted by audiophools that there is a 5% improvement to be had somewhere by changing something other than a core component- and lets be honest, that component would have to be the transducers even then.
I understand the reasoning and belief, it's just misplaced and wrong. As the benchmark article clearly points out, many switching gear like RME ADI-2 proves, and several power supply reviews by Amirm confirm. All one has to do, is look... :) but I digress

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I understand the reasoning and belief, it's just misplaced and wrong. As the benchmark article clearly points out, many switching gear like RME ADI-2 proves, and several power supply reviews by Amirm confirm. All one has to do, is look... :) but I digress

Ah- but when one is seeking validation, no amount of naysayers will convince you otherwise. Let them buy, let them test, let them "hear" the miracle. Just let us not give it any credence without proper testing.

Shoaibexpert

Wow guys...the video post really caused some reaction here I wasn't expecting or wanting. Apologies for sounding ignorant but like Hans, I don't have an Engineering degree either if that counts:rolleyes:

DELETED

Shoaibexpert

your username ends on 'expert' but these past pages all you're sharing/spreading is audiophile nonsense the likes head-fi or other forums take for absolute truths. It's starting to get on my nerves, we are trying to be a better forum here.
Since this directly hitting me, I'll say this much: The max that can be said about my post is what the moderator has already pointed out: it's not relevant and nothing else as I haven't claimed anything yet outrightly (see below why).

Personally, I am learning and not just believing if someone on ASR says something...off course I do believe the measurements! Remember, most don't know the profile of most people/experts commenting here and even if I did, I know I have to check and understand multiple sources (Yes, including Hans and the like for simplicity's sake as I cant stereotype people per se) to try to comprehend something of interest to me but of which I have limited workable knowledge of: Digital Audio and music.

My sincere hope is for the true experts here to give some ounce of leeway to those not having a solid technical background, unless off course such people are not allowed on ASR at all in which case one needs to find another forum, as you've mentioned!

Hope the above puts some CO2 on the burner...

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Since this directly hitting me, I'll say this much: The max that can be said about my post is what the moderator has already pointed out: it's not relevant and nothing else as I haven't claimed anything yet outrightly (see below why).

Personally, I am learning and not just believing if someone on ASR says something...off course I do believe the measurements! Remember, most don't know the profile of most people/experts commenting here and even if I did, I know I have to check and understand multiple sources (Yes, including Hans and the like for simplicity's sake as I cant stereotype people per se) to try to comprehend something of interest to me but of which I have limited workable knowledge of: Digital Audio and music.

My sincere hope is for the true experts here to give some ounce of leeway to those not having a solid technical background, unless off course such people are not allowed on ASR at all in which case one needs to find another forum, as you've mentioned!

Hope the above puts some CO2 on the burner...

You've probably gathered by now that there is a bit of hostility and scepticism of "men on the internet saying things about audio", especially where that thing would require buying something in order to realise the benefits discussed. Usually things I will class as "accessories". You will note Hans refers to his extremely accurate measuring devices yet does not show anything from them when talking about the accessories 9.18 onwards. This is the usual pattern with these kind of vids

Set up the science (graphs, charts etc ) about how audio works - whether this is right or wrong doesnt matter from his perspective- it adds weight to what comes next.

Which is the line about vibration platforms, cables etc.

By posting it here and saying "after 9.18 is interesting" - it simply spreads the nonsense. Ditto talk of linear supplies etc.

Just because a man on the internet says it, doesnt make it true. Nor does it make it worthy of discussion. Nor does it means it might even possibly relate to your circumstances and equipment.

Curiosity and a thirst for knowledge is great- but you dont get anywhere my chucking * random internet nonsense* onto the forum and asking for thoughts

Nango

Major Contributor
Problem is when buying one online you cannot be sure you get the new version (hardware 1.3) only once you own it you can check if the SW is version 2.0.

This is probably what makes the difference between premium renowned mfr and SMSL, etc. Poor communication, i.e. non-existent. Poor customer care apart from designing the item solely to match Amir's requirements (here better heat dissipation).

Top Bottom