• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Having a Feeling of Shame Gives Rise to Courage--SMSL M500 V2

pua

Super equipment. recommend
IMG_20200624_221444.jpg

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The SMSL M500 doesn't have the 'Accusilicon' oscillator chips but the Topping D90/DX7Pro has (Don't know what the M500 has though in their place). After the M500 V2, they are almost equally well measuring devices. I've also read that these Accusilicon chips are rather expensive. Could it be possible that Topping is putting in unnecessary expensive stuff that make no difference in sound or do these chips actually make a difference? If yes, to what measurement should we see an improvement...coz the jitter is anyways almost worth ignoring on both the DACs...Does anything else in the Topping D90 justify it's more than twice the price...maybe in other HW? Thanks

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The SMSL M500 doesn't have the 'Accusilicon' oscillator chips but the Topping D90 has. After the M500 V2, they are almost equally well measuring devices. I've also read that these Accusilicon chips are rather expensive. Could it be possible that Topping is putting in unnecessary expensive stuff that make no difference in sound or do these chips actually make a difference? If yes, to what measurement should we see an improvement...coz the jitter is anyways almost worth ignoring on both the DACs... Thanks

Why on earth would any competent company build in unnecessary components? Doesnt mean a separate device cant perform as well without that component- just different design choices, surely?

Shoaibexpert

Why on earth would any competent company build in unnecessary components? Doesnt mean a separate device cant perform as well without that component- just different design choices, surely?
But you see they market that stuff saying that it kinda helps with time domain processing I guess...I honestly don't know if they help with that or maybe something else...hence the question ie what's their role and are other cheaper DACs giving the same results without these expensive components? And if yes, why put them in and charge more...

CopperFox

Those measurements have voltage at ~4.5V, while Amir's review had it at ~4.3V. How much difference does this make in the measurements?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Those measurements have voltage at ~4.5V, while Amir's review had it at ~4.3V. How much difference does this make in the measurements?

Amir measured it (being V1) as close to 4v as he could get (volume 34). I dont know if V2 has lowered the XLR outputs full stop so Wolf measure on full volume, or whether he selected the volume closest to 4v that V2 can get. I wouldnt worry- .2 of a volt isnt going to change any of the measurements to any great degree

Shoaibexpert

Hi, so I've received my M500 V2 today. Do I need to update anything on it? What SW and what version should I install on my PC? I don't want to get stuck with a single version as many who have updated have!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, so I've received my M500 V2 today. Do I need to update anything on it? What SW and what version should I install on my PC? I don't want to get stuck with a single version as many who have updated have!
Why not just plug it in and use it- why bother trying to update anything?!

Shoaibexpert

Why not just plug it in and use it- why bother trying to update anything?!
Your right there is a USB SW that needs to be installed I guess... people used to update that and their units for stuck on one version. Anyways, saw SMSL website, they have just one driver now...makes life easier!

Shoaibexpert

There is an extra/new DPLL option on my SW1.7/HW1.3 (V2) version of M500. Any ideas what this is and how and should it be optimized in some way? Thanks

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Your right there is a USB SW that needs to be installed I guess... people used to update that and their units for stuck on one version. Anyways, saw SMSL website, they have just one driver now...makes life easier!

Should be plug and play with Windows 10- I know all about the shaky driver issues bricking V1 devices. None should be needed with W10

Shoaibexpert

Should be plug and play with Windows 10- I know all about the shaky driver issues bricking V1 devices. None should be needed with W10
Actually, I'm pretty sure I was forced to install at least the USB Driver...if I remember correctly, it was needed to play MQAs...I could be wrong!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, I'm pretty sure I was forced to install at least the USB Driver...if I remember correctly, it was needed to play MQAs...I could be wrong!
I would try without

Shoaibexpert

Any ideas what sort of PSU this thing has? Linear inside by any chance? Coz you can't attach a linear to it I guess...

Also, is the M500 synchronous or asynchronous to the optical signal? I mean does it correct jitter issues in optical signals? Thanks

Last edited:

robertospeed

Sorry I need advice, I have to buy a new Dac and I don't know whether to choose this or the topping d70, is the d70 better in sound and like everything?

MalinYamato

I have happily been using my red M500 for some 3 months now with my AH-D7200 and Sundra. However, I have decided to get an Agron mkIII, which probably needs much more power. I don't want to spend as much waiting-time and money to get a 786AAA@$374 or as much money to get a A90, I am therefore considering L30, sp200 or Hersey. Pros and Cons?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have happily been using my red M500 for some 3 months now with my AH-D7200 and Sundra. However, I have decided to get an Agron mkIII, which probably needs much more power. I don't want to spend as much waiting-time and money to get a 786AAA@$374 or as much money to get a A90, I am therefore considering L30, sp200 or Hersey. Pros and Cons?

Balanced out from M500- Geshelli Erish fully balanced. But let me just test that set up on my Fostex T60- which are essentially the same phones with tuning / pad differences.

That means you have the M500 for single ended and the Erish for balanced- for an additional $200.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Balanced out from M500- Geshelli Erish fully balanced. But let me just test that set up on my Fostex T60- which are essentially the same phones with tuning / pad differences.

That means you have the M500 for single ended and the Erish for balanced- for an additional $200.

Yup, that works.

Get the argons with a balanced cable and a geshelli erish. Powers my t60 like a dream. 9 o clock low gain, loud and clear as a bell. @MalinYamato

Also, yes the m500 headamp struggles

Last edited:

MalinYamato

Yup, that works.

Get the argons with a balanced cable and a geshelli erish. Powers my t60 like a dream. 9 o clock low gain, loud and clear as a bell. @MalinYamato

Also, yes the m500 headamp struggles
thank you for your recommendation. Is only 1w@32ohm really enough?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
thank you for your recommendation. Is only 1w@32ohm really enough?

Certainly is for me. They aren't super hard to drive. But by all means get a more powerful amp. But that's in thx 789 territory

Top Bottom