• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your "Desert Island" Album

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a voice you could get lost in. It's pretty amazing that her international career lasted only about ten years.
Indeed. She was "discovered" very late and died of cancer quite young.
Very sad story.
I have been a huge fan all my life. I have most of her recordings, if not all.
I enjoyed this DVD Kathleen Ferrier: An Ordinary Diva [2004] of course back then not much film footage of actual performance.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been thinking about my answer to this question for the past couple of days. It's not something I've ever considered before. The best I can come up with is, there are a few recordings of historical importance of which I would have loved to be a part. Something like the premiere performance of the Britten War Requiem in 1964 ...

Great answer, thanks. But I think the actual live premiere was 1962. I was born in Coventry, England, and even years after WW2 the city was still a mess. I remember playing in bombed-out buildings. Every Saturday morning we would go check progress on the new cathedral. I was supposed to go back this summer for Coventry's "City of Culture 2021" launch, but it was canceled due to Covid.

Typevii

I've realised I can give a valid answer to this thread, as I could not pick even a single Cocteau twins album, I need at least 3, so there is no hope for me. Good question though.

:) Yes, "Lullabies to Violaine" Vol 1&2 would have been my choice if I had not felt that selecting a compilation or box set would be going against the spirit of an 'album'.

OP
Alexanderc

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Great answer, thanks. But I think the actual live premiere was 1962. I was born in Coventry, England, and even years after WW2 the city was still a mess. I remember playing in bombed-out buildings. Every Saturday morning we would go check progress on the new cathedral. I was supposed to go back this summer for Coventry's "City of Culture 2021" launch, but it was canceled due to Covid.
You’re right. I was going off my memory and didn’t check to see if I was right.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So we have not so many answers yet on this thread but the range of different music genres is quite broad already :). What do you think, @Alexanderc , will you have a listen to some of them? {I definitely will..)

OP
Alexanderc

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
So we have not so many answers yet on this thread but the range of different music genres is quite broad already :). What do you think, @Alexanderc , will you have a listen to some of them? {I definitely will..)
Absolutely. I’ve already looked up a couple that I hadn’t heard of. There is a lot of variety here.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
:) Yes, "Lullabies to Violaine" Vol 1&2 would have been my choice if I had not felt that selecting a compilation or box set would be going against the spirit of an 'album'.
I had exactly the same thought, figured it fell foul of the following rule.
Multi-disc sets are fine as long as they were intended as a unit (as opposed to issues of an artist's complete opus).
I love all the stuff that originally came out as EPs, and I have all the original EPs.

Burning Sounds

If I chose the Bob Marley Songs of Freedom box set then I think I'd probably be going against the spirit here so it has to be this one:

burnin_wailers.jpg

tomtoo

Major Contributor
If I chose the Bob Marley Songs of Freedom box set then I think I'd probably be going against the spirit here so it has to be this one:

View attachment 72323

I see no speacial spirit. It's just alone on a island with one album. What would you like??
People like this or that, thats the spirit. So for me i would like a live album, at least i could imagine beeing there with other people. While sitting on this fu** island alone. ;)

OP
Alexanderc

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
Do do you remember some interesting replies from female respondents you got? (I'm afraid we don't have many in this forum..:confused:)
Honestly no. I haven’t asked anyone for a while before this. It’s something I used to ask people a lot (back in college), but in recent years it hasn’t really come up. After all the interesting responses here I may have to try to work this question into more conversations.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Honestly no. I haven’t asked anyone for a while before this. It’s something I used to ask people a lot (back in college), but in recent years it hasn’t really come up. After all the interesting responses here I may have to try to work this question into more conversations.
Feel free to add some replies from your colleagues, I'll we'll be glad to know :)

Just to add some more feminine touch variety to this thread, I asked one woman who I would characterize as a music enthusiast. She responded her first thought was about having a hard time to choose one particular album by Arcade Fire (except for last one). Or Amused to death by Roger Waters would also qualify...

A.West

Forum Donor
Vladimir Ashkenazy, Rachmaninoff-The Complete Recordings. 13 hours of piano compositions. I'll miss the symphonies but this is the most good music I can find in one box, without necessarily being my favorite single interpretation or recording.

Top Bottom