• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your "Desert Island" Album

DChenery

Forum Donor
Decisions .... Decisions .... Decisions .....

But has to be The Complete Ella and Louie on Verve

1594000038840.png

Attachments

• 1593999901503.png
    1593999901503.png
    94.7 KB · Views: 87

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Unquestionably for me, the artist would have to be Sarah Vaughan - The Divine One. Her self-titled album would suit me just fine on the island. Very proud of those who posted The Great Lady Day (Billie Holiday) and The First Lady of Song (Ella Fitzgerald).

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Daft Punk - Discovery
1594004154908.png

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know ... and I'm the same - mysteriously all my best gigs went unrecorded.
Maybe it is rather intentional, supposed to last that "special moment" only, like:
As a meditation on impermanence (a central teaching of Buddhism), after days or weeks of creating the intricate pattern of a sand mandala, the sand is brushed together into a pile and spilled into a body of running water to spread the blessings of the mandala. [wiki]

3125b

Major Contributor
Any one album would get boring after a while, would it not?
There are a couple that would rank high for me.
- Queen - A Night At The Opera (this was acutally one of the few albums I had with me for an extended trip around Ireland, so I guess I'm somewhat used to it for that)
- Dire Straits - Communique
- Amber Rubarth - Sessions from the 17th Ward (only if I get some good headphones on my island)
- Caro Emerald - Deleted Scenes From The Cutting Room Floor
- Jethro Tull - Aqualung
- Frank Zappa - Over-Nite Sensation
That would be some of my picks. It's difficult to decide indeed.
Collage Alben.png

Last edited:

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
I'm happy to see many prog selections in this thread. Crime Of The Century is really hard to top. In the spirit of the thread, however, I can't resist. I mean, we're discussing being On An Island, after all...

On An Island.jpg

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Any one album would get boring after a while, would it not?
I must say there are albums I played to death when I bought them that have not stood the test of time but the sublime works like the Bach Passions and B-minor Mass have held my interest since I discovered them 40 to 50 years ago.
Great music is timeless.
Of my old rock music albums there are very few I still play, Hot Rats by Frank Zappa and King Kong by Jean-Luc Ponty are exceptions.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm a bit more curious about your choice Mr. orchestra pilot ;), I understand you meant the work as such but would you highlight particular recording(s) as well?
PMFJI but the album this excerpt is from is fabulous IMO and the picture is its cover art.

OP
Alexanderc

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
Alex - a related question I love to ask musicians: which album do you most wish you had played on? Might not be your favorite piece in itself, but some performances have such obvious fun and joy and satisfaction and achievement. Do you have an opinion?
I've been thinking about my answer to this question for the past couple of days. It's not something I've ever considered before. The best I can come up with is, there are a few recordings of historical importance of which I would have loved to be a part. Something like the premiere performance of the Britten War Requiem in 1964 or some of the groundbreaking Robert Shaw recordings with the Collegiate Chorale or the Robert Shaw Chorale (all from before I was born). In my own lifetime, I guess I'm pretty content with the projects I have been a part of.

OP
Alexanderc

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
I'm a bit more curious about your choice Mr. orchestra pilot ;), I understand you meant the work as such but would you highlight particular recording(s) as well?
I'm not sure I understand your question exactly, but this recording of this work. Bach Mass in B minor, Gardiner, 1985. If I were stranded on a desert island with electricity, a stereo, and only one recording, this is what I would choose.

The premise is silly, naturally, but more evocative than asking, "what's your favorite album"?

OP
Alexanderc

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
That may well be mine though perhaps this
A vintage recording recording of an old fashioned style of performing, only a couple of months younger than me, but sublime IMO.
That's a voice you could get lost in. It's pretty amazing that her international career lasted only about ten years.

bt3

The Divine One by Sarah Vaughan a personal favorite, but already selected.
These go to the island too:
1. Chopin Ballades & Scherzos - Artur Rubinstein
2. Money Jungle - Duke Ellington, Charles Mingus & Max Roach

Last edited:
Top Bottom