• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your "Desert Island" Album

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I can't find a question like this here anywhere, so apologies if it's been asked. I used to ask this question of people all the time: If you could only listen to one album, what would it be? Just one. Multi-disc sets are fine as long as they were intended as a unit (as opposed to issues of an artist's complete opus).

PaulZH

1589830106128.png

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Through the decades, so many talented and superb jazz singers, now newer ones with advanced musical education, amazing vocal control and virtuosity, most of whose singing I admire and love. Yet none that I have heard has quite been able to match Ms. Holiday's ability to tug at my heart. She is the one who can sing me through my days in exile and sing me to sleep on that lonely isle. requiescat in pacem, Lady Day.

On a side note, why do people call it a desert island, and not a deserted island? This has always puzzled me.

screen-snip_billie-holiday-banned_front.PNG

screen-snip_billie-holiday-banned_back.PNG

Last edited:

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

OP
Alexanderc

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
On a side note, why do people call it a desert island, and not a deserted island? This has always puzzled me.
From Wikipedia: Uninhabited islands are sometimes also called "deserted islands" or "desert islands". In the latter, the adjective desert connotes not desert climate conditions, but rather "desolate and sparsely occupied or unoccupied". The word desert has been "formerly applied more widely to any wild, uninhabited region, including forest-land", and it is this archaic meaning that appears in the phrase "desert island" (the citation is from the OED).

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

From Wikipedia: Uninhabited islands are sometimes also called "deserted islands" or "desert islands". In the latter, the adjective desert connotes not desert climate conditions, but rather "desolate and sparsely occupied or unoccupied". The word desert has been "formerly applied more widely to any wild, uninhabited region, including forest-land", and it is this archaic meaning that appears in the phrase "desert island" (the citation is from the OED).

Thanks for clearing up my long-standing puzzlement!

Wolven

It was a close race between Paul Simon – “Graceland” (25th anniversary edition) and Pink Floyd – “The Wall” and the eventual winner:
Sabaton - Carolus Rex

"Dominium maris Baltici"
"The Lion from the North"
"Gott Mit Uns"
"A Lifetime of War"
"1648"
"The Carolean's Prayer"
"Carolus Rex"
"Killing Ground"
"Poltava"
"Long Live the King"
"Ruina Imperii"

cover.jpg

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't find a question like this here anywhere, so apologies if it's been asked. I used to ask this question of people all the time: If you could only listen to one album, what would it be? Just one. Multi-disc sets are fine as long as they were intended as a unit (as opposed to issues of an artist's complete opus).
Good to have this thread, Alex. I was thinking about posting similar thread, like Your "Desert Island" Playlist, some personal list of all time favourite songs of forum members, is there such already?
Anyway, would you answer to your own question? :)

Top Bottom