• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your "Desert Island" Album

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I guess the question was more in a manner "What album would you take with you to a desert island", not "What album would take you to a desert island".. ;) [or desert planet..?]
Whatever you say.

I have no doubt that I would choose:

1594443029421.jpeg

Tomino

Forum Donor
1607272512752.png

I would go with the St. Matthew's Passion. If I could only salvage one track from Western culture, it might be "Aus Liebe will mein Heiland sterben," the soprano aria that is the capstone of the piece. Pictured is the best recording I know of it. I would say it's more intimate than the B Minor Mass, more focused on personal emotional responses to the passion story. Bonus that I would get three cd's worth on my island.

If I got to take 10 songs, like on the BBC show, then definitely some Mozart. Piano concerto No. 23, especially the second movement. Or the Magic Flute: I would call my bloodied volleyball Papageno. And Schubert's D 960 piano sonata would be a much-needed consolation on cold starry nights.

Flying Dutchman would be my ironic, seafaring choice -- though actually I don't know the opera.

Some early Elvis Costello for some rockin' snark, like when you've just cracked open a coconut you've been working on all morning.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Its an interesting question as obviously nobody has one favourite album. But the one that continues to open up and show me new facets is :

Interestingly , I forgot I had already replied to this thread and came across it again, so thought about an answer (again) This record popped into my head along with only a couple of others , so yes, it still stands.

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mr. @dualazmak , would you dare to reply to the hard question of this thread? :)

Oh my Goodness... Your inquiry is really a "hard" challenge to me!:D

I assume you are already well aware of my multichannel audio project, and my "Audio Reference/Sampler Music Playlist", as well as my another hosting thread, which are always reflecting my preference and inclination to my beloved "music", not only the "sound quality" thereof.

If you still dare to ask me "the hard question", I probably "dare to select" one track or one album just today at "present moment", but I shall select another one if you will ask me the same question tomorrow or next week, as you may easily guess.

OK, in any way, today's my most brave selection just came to my memory at "this moment", especially the French Overture and Suites in B Minor BWV831 (track 42 - 49) by András Schiff, live performance at Leipzig Bachfest 2010:
https://www.deutschegrammophon.com/en/catalogue/products/andras-schiff-plays-bach-visual-album-12588

You can see and hear it (a world music heritage really amazing performance and music, I believe!) on YouTube even the sound quality of the YouTube clip would not be optimal though...

This album is of course included in my "Audio Reference/Sampler Music Playlist";
- Excellent Recording Quality Music Albums/Tracks for Subjective (and Possibly Objective) Test/Check/Tuning of Multichannel Multi-Driver Multi-Way Multi-Amplifier Time-Aligned Active Stereo Audio System and Room Acoustics; at least a Portion and/or One Track being Analyzed by Color
[Part-02] Solo Piano Music:

Last edited:

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
I would also go for the St. Matthew's Passion.

SMP-Munchinger-03a[Decca-3CD].jpg

Because I will (hopefully :)) have all the time in the world. And Fritz Wunderlich’s Ich will bei meinem Jesu wachen is so breathtaking.

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I’m gonna just run with ‘Waiting for Columbus’ and not over think it!

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good morning, from Japan!:)

Our OP wrote;
Multi-disc sets are fine as long as they were intended as a unit (as opposed to issues of an artist's complete opus).
Therefore, please let me carry also this 12-CD set of Silvius Leopold Weiss's Complete London Manuscript for Lute by Michel Cardin (ref. here):
WS001427.JPG

In 2006, I purchased these 12 CDs directly from Michel Cardin in Canada after wonderful communication with him. Very fortunately, these 12 CDs are now finally available at Amazon;
https://www.amazon.com/Silvius-Leop...&keywords=Michel+Cardin&qid=1615548819&sr=8-1
and elsewhere.

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do they have HighEnd Audio on the Island or do I have to bring that too?

For me, I need to cruise to the Island by fairly big cruise ship or gorgeous private yacht having electric generators and all of my multichannel audio rig!:D

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For me, I need to cruise to the Island by fairly big cruise ship or gorgeous private yacht having electric generators and all of my multichannel audio rig!:D
Yep. It’s hard to imagine getting marooned clutching one album.

Back to topic. I let myself out.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bill Evans Trio - Sunday at the Village Vanguard

Let me join you having Bill Evans Trio - You Must Believe In Spring.
My comparative listening to 2-LP 45-RPM 188-gram vinyl remastered release vs. the CD remastered release can be found here on my project thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom