• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Chromecast Audio Digital Output

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Julf has provided a good link. Also, just read page 1 of this thread. Chromecast Audio is bit perfect with negligible jitter when fed via optical into a good DAC. As for coax v optical, I have no idea. Maybe someone else can comment.

If using Upnp or non Tidal app isn’t an option, then Chromecast is your ONLY option! Unless another member knows different.

There are some DAC/Streamers with built in Chromecast e.g from Cambridge, Primare, Naim. They get glowing reviews elsewhere FWIW.

I‘ve tried Roon and it falls well short of using the Tidal app, if Tidal is your only music source.

There are other solutions for EQ. Feed the Chromecast to a miniDSP. Some people use the Chromecast with an RME ADI-2 DAC. I’ve never tried EQ, so can’t really advise on that.
Thanks. Chromecast Audio sounds very clean from what I've observed as well. If only I could EQ the signal whilst keeping it bit perfect like maybe the Roon's implementation... without that hefty price tag....

I'll check out MiniDSP as well. Any suggestions for clean power supply to the CCA? I've heard that also has an impact on the digital signal of the CCA? Thanks

Shoaibexpert

Thanks. The thing with this review is that it doesn't match Amir's own measurements because of perhaps the app implementation. When fed through a compatible app like Roon or now Tidal...the results per Amir were far far cleaner...in fact he said the DAC's own limitation as to jitter is what the CCA can produce... essentially being a DAC dependent bottle neck for the CCA performance that is. Is my understanding correct? Thanks

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. The thing with this review is that it doesn't match Amir's own measurements because of perhaps the app implementation. When fed through a compatible app like Roon or now Tidal...the results per Amir were far far cleaner...in fact he said the DAC's own limitation as to jitter is what the CCA can produce... essentially being a DAC dependent bottle neck for the CCA performance that is. Is my understanding correct? Thanks

Well, jitter is never audible until it gets to a DAC, so everything of course depends on how the DAC handles jitter (and how much internal jitter the DAC has).

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Thanks. Chromecast Audio sounds very clean from what I've observed as well. If only I could EQ the signal whilst keeping it bit perfect like maybe the Roon's implementation... without that hefty price tag....

I'll check out MiniDSP as well. Any suggestions for clean power supply to the CCA? I've heard that also has an impact on the digital signal of the CCA? Thanks

I use this to power both a CCA and a Topping D50 (which Amir connected to the CCA during his test)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VJSGT2A/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

I just use it for convenience to get rid of two mains cables. Don‘t know if it improves SQ.

BillG

Major Contributor
Chromecast Audio sounds very clean from what I've observed as well. If only I could EQ the signal whilst keeping it bit perfect

There is a rudimentary EQ in the from of Tone controls within the Goggle Home application, which you may already be aware of.

There are ways to stream pre-EQed audio to it from other applications:

Poweramp, an Android music player, is capable of applying DSP (including EQ) to the stream prior to transmission. I suspect Neutron, another Android music player, is capable of it as well.

On Windows, MusicBee is capable of doing so via its UPnP/DLNA plug-in. And while I'm not particularly a fan of it, I suspect Foobar 2000 may have the facility as well.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
There is a rudimentary EQ in the from of Tone controls within the Goggle Home application, which you may already be aware of.

There are ways to stream pre-EQed audio to it from other applications:

Poweramp, an Android music player, is capable of applying DSP (including EQ) to the stream prior to transmission. I suspect Neutron, another Android music player, is capable of it as well.

On Windows, MusicBee is capable of doing so via its UPnP/DLNA plug-in. And while I'm not particularly a fan of it, I suspect Foobar 2000 may have the facility as well.

That‘s interesting. Does Poweramp support casting to CCA from Tidal?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Alternative power supplies will not improve an already perfect sq.

They might - subjectively. If you believe enough... :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I wouldnt worry about power supply on a $20 device

Shoaibexpert

I use this to power both a CCA and a Topping D50 (which Amir connected to the CCA during his test)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VJSGT2A/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

I just use it for convenience to get rid of two mains cables. Don‘t know if it improves SQ.
Thanks. I was also thinking about getting a power bank. But you see my setup has fixed CCA connected via optical to my DAC. If I were to keep this battery pack connected to the power whilst charging constantly and then then keep the CCA connected...again all the time... would it pose a fire hazard I was wondering?

Also, keeping the CCA connected to the power bank whilst it is charging...would it benefit the power line or signal or make it clean(ish)?

Yes, I am too lazy to take the battery pack off charging and track it's charge levels in my fixed desktop setup. Thanks

Last edited:

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Thanks. I was also thinking about getting a power bank. But you see my setup has fixed CCA connected via optical to my DAC. If I were to keep this battery pack connected to the power whilst charging constantly and then then keep the CCA connected...again all the time... would it pose a fire hazard I was wondering?

Also, keeping the CCA connected to the power bank whilst it is charging...would it benefit the power line or signal or make it clean(ish)?

Yes, I am too lazy to take the battery pack off charging and track it's charge levels in my fixed desktop setup. Thanks

You can’t charge the power bank, and power the CCA at the same time. When you connect it to the mains it automatically stops outputting DC. There’s no “pass through” of power if you keep it connected to the mains and the CCA at the same time. Some power banks do that, but they‘re quite expensive.

I‘ve used it for over a year, sometimes leaving both input & output connected. My house is still standing.

Sounds as though you might prefer a cheap phone charger.

Shoaibexpert

You can’t charge the power bank, and power the CCA at the same time. When you connect it to the mains it automatically stops outputting DC. There’s no “pass through” of power if you keep it connected to the mains and the CCA at the same time. Some power banks do that, but they‘re quite expensive.

I‘ve used it for over a year, sometimes leaving both input & output connected. My house is still standing.

Sounds as though you might prefer a cheap phone charger.
I'm using a phone charger. Just for an understanding...how much time on the CCA your power bank last untill it needs charging again...with your 20,000Mah I would imagine a long time?

Also, maybe the D50 takes in USB power...my SMSL M500 takes normal power through mains.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
I'm using a phone charger. Just for an understanding...how much time on the CCA your power bank last untill it needs charging again...with your 20,000Mah I would imagine a long time?

Also, maybe the D50 takes in USB power...my SMSL M500 takes normal power through mains.

I‘ve never really measured it. I’ve just got into the habit of recharging overnight or when the indicator says it needs it. It‘s never actually ran out of charge, and remember, I’m using it to power both a CCA and a Topping D50.
Put it this way, I’ve been very pleased with it’s performance, in this respect.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Sorry for a very belated question but if you take a 256K FFT of a perfect mathematically generated 64 bit double precision FP sine wave in say Matlab the numerical noise floor is ~300dB so where did the -375dB come from? Sorry if this was explained before.

Shoaibexpert

Why not use the standard power supply that comes with the CCA? There was even one that also offered a threaded ethernet option.
That's actually kind of a phone charger..I'm not sure if it's as clean as the battery power that everyone seems to be content with. Anyways, the Ethernet thread charger comes with the Ultra not CCA.

Top Bottom