• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

This is going to be a long list.

I particularly seem to like Sennheiser:

• HD598
  • HD580
  • HD540 II
  • HD540
  • HD515
  • HD480 II
  • HD414
  • HD380
  • HD250 II
  • HD239
  • HD201
  • HD25 II
  • PX200 II
  • PX100
  • IE80 (IEM)
  • CX300 II (IEM)
  • CX95 (IEM)
And then there is the rest:
  • AIAIAI Capital
  • AKG 81
  • AKG 120/3
  • AKG 240 Sextett
  • AKG 280
  • Apple Earpods
  • Behringer HPM1000
  • Beoplay H3 (IEM)
  • Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro
  • Creative Aurvana Live!
  • DH101
  • DHK 8
  • Etymotic ER3XR (IEM)
  • Fostex T50RP mk3
  • Fostex THx00 Mahagony
  • Fiio FH-1 (IEM)
  • Hero HP1000
  • HyperX Cloud II
  • HOK80 II
  • JBL T110
  • Kenwood KH-31
  • Koss ESP/95x
  • Koss KPH7
  • Koss KSC75
  • Koss PortaPro
  • KZ ATE (IEM)
  • KZ ATR (IEM)
  • KZ ED9 (IEM
  • KZ ZSN (IEM)
  • KZ ZST (IEM)
  • Magnat LZR 980
  • Motörhead Phönes Bombe
  • Noontec Zorro
  • OneAudio A2
  • Oppo PM-3
  • Panasonic RP-HJE125 (IEM)
  • Philips SHP2500
  • Pickering PH-4955
  • Pioneer SE205
  • PSB M4U 1
  • qtx sound qx40
  • Samsung Galaxy Buds (IEM)
  • Samsung tuned by AKG - S7 (IEM)
  • Shure SE535 (IEM)
  • Skullcandy Ink'd (IEM)
  • Sony DR7S
  • Sony MDR-EX15LP (IEM)
  • Sony MH750 (IEM)
  • Sony MH755 (IEM)
  • Sony XBR-H1 (IEM)
  • Sony ZX310
  • Soundmagic E10 (IEM)
  • Superlux HD681
  • Teufel Massive
  • Telefunken TH500
  • TDS-15
  • TDS-16 (40 ohm)
  • TDS-17
  • Tenmak Pro
  • Toshiba 4 channel
  • Ultimate Ears 6000
  • VE Monk (IEM)
  • Vivanco SR-75
  • Vivanco SR-85
  • Weltfunk 8850
  • Zero Audio Carbo Tenore (IEM)
Some for actual listening, some because I wanted to try out things at the price point, some because they looked interesting (especially the vintage ones), some because Sonarworks, Morphit, and/or oratory1990 have EQ settings for them and I was interested in the difference between stock and with EQ. Most of the headphones bought used and (relatively) cheap.

Gomjab

I have owned several brands over the years but my favorites have been Sennheiser starting with the HD600. I upgraded to the HD650 after they had been out quite a long time. I never tried the HD800 but ended up buying the HD800s a couple of years ago.

My HD800s had a minor mechanical issue with the right side adjustment. It wouldn’t click in place properly like the left side. I ignored the issue cause I didn’t want to deal with shipping it back. I decided just before the COVID-19 pandemic hit to send them in before the 2-year warranty period expired. Of course the repair got delayed by the pandemic so I’ve been using my HD650 cans for the last three months. Well the repaired HD800s arrived earlier this week and I had an opportunity to hear them with fresh ears after months with the HD650.

Working from home has given me a lot of time to enjoy open back headphones since there is no office mate to disturb with leakage. I love my HD650 but I forgot just how great the HD800s sound and how comfortable they are on my head until getting them back.

Bottom line the HD800s is still my favorite!

F1308

Major Contributor

• HD598
  • HD580
  • HD540 II
  • HD540
  • HD515
  • HD480 II
  • HD414
  • HD380
  • HD250 II
  • HD239
  • HD201
  • HD25 II
  • PX200 II
  • PX100
  • IE80 (IEM)
  • CX300 II (IEM)
  • CX95 (IEM)
  • AIAIAI Capital
  • AKG 81
  • AKG 120/3
  • AKG 240 Sextett
  • AKG 280
  • Apple Earpods
  • Behringer HPM1000
  • Beoplay H3 (IEM)
  • Creative Aurvana Live!
  • DH101
  • DHK 8
  • Etymotic ER3XR (IEM)
  • Fostex T50RP mk3
  • Fostex THx00 Mahagony
  • Fiio FH-1 (IEM)
  • Hero HP1000
  • HyperX Cloud II
  • HOK80 II
  • JBL T110
  • Kenwood KH-31
  • Koss ESP/95x
  • Koss KPH7
  • Koss KSC75
  • Koss PortaPro
  • KZ ATE (IEM)
  • KZ ATR (IEM)
  • KZ ED9 (IEM
  • KZ ZSN (IEM)
  • KZ ZST (IEM)
  • Magnat LZR 980
  • Motörhead Phönes Bombe
  • Noontec Zorro
  • OneAudio A2
  • Oppo PM-3
  • Philips SHP2500
  • Pickering PH-4955
  • Pioneer SE205
  • PSB M4U 1
  • qtx sound qx40
  • Shure SE535 (IEM)
  • Skullcandy Ink'd (IEM)
  • Sony DR7S
  • Sony MDR-EX15LP (IEM)
  • Sony MH750 (IEM)
  • Sony MH755 (IEM)
  • Sony XBR-H1 (IEM)
  • Sony ZX310
  • Soundmagic E10 (IEM)
  • Superlux HD681
  • Teufel Massive
  • Telefunken TH500
  • TDS-15
  • TDS-16 (40 ohm)
  • TDS-17
  • Tenmak Pro
  • Toshiba 4 channel
  • Ultimate Ears 6000
  • VE Monk (IEM)
  • Vivanco SR-75
  • Vivanco SR-85
  • Weltfunk 8850
Some for actual listening, some because I wanted to try out things at the price point, some because they looked interesting (especially the vintage ones), some because Sonarworks, Morphit, and/or oratory1990 have EQ settings for them and I was interested in the difference between stock and with EQ. Most of the headphones bought used and (relatively) cheap.

What a pity you did not try V-Moda M-200... closed back, or Philips Fidelio X3 ...open back.

And in relationship with your list, what are your favourites, please ?

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

• HD598
  • HD580
  • HD540 II
  • HD540
  • HD515
  • HD480 II
  • HD414
  • HD380
  • HD250 II
  • HD239
  • HD201
  • HD25 II
  • PX200 II
  • PX100
  • IE80 (IEM)
  • CX300 II (IEM)
  • CX95 (IEM)
  • AIAIAI Capital
  • AKG 81
  • AKG 120/3
  • AKG 240 Sextett
  • AKG 280
  • Apple Earpods
  • Behringer HPM1000
  • Beoplay H3 (IEM)
  • Creative Aurvana Live!
  • DH101
  • DHK 8
  • Etymotic ER3XR (IEM)
  • Fostex T50RP mk3
  • Fostex THx00 Mahagony
  • Fiio FH-1 (IEM)
  • Hero HP1000
  • HyperX Cloud II
  • HOK80 II
  • JBL T110
  • Kenwood KH-31
  • Koss ESP/95x
  • Koss KPH7
  • Koss KSC75
  • Koss PortaPro
  • KZ ATE (IEM)
  • KZ ATR (IEM)
  • KZ ED9 (IEM
  • KZ ZSN (IEM)
  • KZ ZST (IEM)
  • Magnat LZR 980
  • Motörhead Phönes Bombe
  • Noontec Zorro
  • OneAudio A2
  • Oppo PM-3
  • Philips SHP2500
  • Pickering PH-4955
  • Pioneer SE205
  • PSB M4U 1
  • qtx sound qx40
  • Shure SE535 (IEM)
  • Skullcandy Ink'd (IEM)
  • Sony DR7S
  • Sony MDR-EX15LP (IEM)
  • Sony MH750 (IEM)
  • Sony MH755 (IEM)
  • Sony XBR-H1 (IEM)
  • Sony ZX310
  • Soundmagic E10 (IEM)
  • Superlux HD681
  • Teufel Massive
  • Telefunken TH500
  • TDS-15
  • TDS-16 (40 ohm)
  • TDS-17
  • Tenmak Pro
  • Toshiba 4 channel
  • Ultimate Ears 6000
  • VE Monk (IEM)
  • Vivanco SR-75
  • Vivanco SR-85
  • Weltfunk 8850
Do you still own all of these?

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I have owned several brands over the years but my favorites have been Sennheiser starting with the HD600. I upgraded to the HD650 after they had been out quite a long time. I never tried the HD800 but ended up buying the HD800s a couple of years ago.

My HD800s had a minor mechanical issue with the right side adjustment. It wouldn’t click in place properly like the left side. I ignored the issue cause I didn’t want to deal with shipping it back. I decided just before the COVID-19 pandemic hit to send them in before the 2-year warranty period expired. Of course the repair got delayed by the pandemic so I’ve been using my HD650 cans for the last three months. Well the repaired HD800s arrived earlier this week and I had an opportunity to hear them with fresh ears after months with the HD650.

Working from home has given me a lot of time to enjoy open back headphones since there is no office mate to disturb with leakage. I love my HD650 but I forgot just how great the HD800s sound and how comfortable they are on my head until getting them back.

Bottom line the HD800s is still my favorite!
I also really liked the 800s. Great headphone and I used both tubes (La Figaro 339) and solid state with it. I have regretted selling it ever since and do hope to reacquire it again.

iplaydrunk99

Can you please comment on the Ebony? What do you like to use it for? Is it comfortable? I have been looking for a pair and they are VERY hard to find.

Yeah i know they are very rare now I'm just so lucky someone on headfi sell these for only 350$ they are in very good condition too. I don't really mind the attached cable. I don't really see anyone using the Fostex Ebony on the public because of their weight LOL.
Best BASS HP id ever used like for real! I owned ARGON MK3,HD 630VB,MEZE 99 CLASSICS before,this Fostex especially the ebony versions blows them out of the water, especially if you put the dekoni hybrid pads and the att rings on it.
I will not sell them ever,i will take them on my grave LOL

Last edited:

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
HD6XX is great and I've returned to HD650 from other headphones a number of times. That said, I'd expect HD800 and LCD-2 to be upgrades in "spaciousness" if for no other reason than the physical size of the earcup and distance from pinna. Did you try EQ'ing them?
I actually tried to EQ them, the HD 800 doesn't change in tonality, but you can tame their high-frequency content to make them less tiring. The LCD-2 has the issue of the cymbals sounding like aluminum foil (they sound normal after a day of exclusive use, maybe because my brain adapts to them), and someone said this is due to the ~10 kHz dip Audezes usually have (maybe except the LCD-X). But the weight of Audeze headphones has become into a drawback and a huge one.

odyo

Here's some of the headphones I own

Left to right:
  1. Headphile modified Sony CD3000 (balanced)
  2. Massdrop 58X Jubilee (balanced)
  3. Audeze LCD-2 (balanced)
  4. JVC HA DX-1000
  5. Sennheiser HD800 (balanced)
  6. HiFiman HE400i (balanced)
  7. HD650 (balanced)
  8. Fostex (can't remember)
Not Pictured
Grado PS1000
HiFiman HE5 (balanced)
Sennheiser HD600 (balanced)
Beyer DT880 600 Ohm
Beyer DT900 600 Ohm
STAX SR404
and a bunch of others

View attachment 70880
Rank them.

odyo

Those products sold at half the regular price tag, no problem with that one hair.
No they are repackaging and selling them at full price. It's deceiving but it's what it is.

Theriverlethe

I actually tried to EQ them, the HD 800 doesn't change in tonality, but you can tame their high-frequency content to make them less tiring. The LCD-2 has the issue of the cymbals sounding like aluminum foil (they sound normal after a day of exclusive use, maybe because my brain adapts to them), and someone said this is due to the ~10 kHz dip Audezes usually have (maybe except the LCD-X). But the weight of Audeze headphones has become into a drawback and a huge one.

I think the Classics have a 10kHz dip according to Oratory1990. Are you using pre-Fazor? Anyway, if they’re not comfortable that settles it.

Do you still own all of these?

Yes. A lot because I am a collector, some because I am too lazy to sell them. (A lot came without boxes, and I got rid of any boxes that were not interesting.)

And in relationship with your list, what are your favourites, please ?

Favorites are:

- Koss ESP/95x - I seem to dig estats
- Oppo PM3 - the overall best package
- Sennheiser HD580 - this series is not a classic for nothing
- Samsung Galaxy Buds - great balance of practicality and good sound
- Etymotic ER3XR - for when I want to ignore the outside world

Gomjab

I also really liked the 800s. Great headphone and I used both tubes (La Figaro 339) and solid state with it. I have regretted selling it ever since and do hope to reacquire it again.
I’m currently using them in balanced mode with my RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE (what a mouthful!). The ADI-2 Pro was purchased for my home music studio to use for both recording and playback. Prior to that I used them with the 1st gen ADI-2 DAC. The performance of that DAC/amp combo is what made me take a hard look at the ADI-2 Pro FS. I use a MOTU 838es and MOTU 24ai on an AVB network to interface to my synthesizers and digital piano. It’s nice to have access to everything without moving patch cables. But if I want a pristine capture I use the ADI-2 Pro.

Sorry for a bit off topic. To put it back on topic - when I need isolation my favorite headphones are Beyerdynamic DT770 cans. I don’t have a lot of experience with great sounding closed back headphones. Prior to the Beyerdynamic I used Sony MDR-7506 for monitoring. The Sony’s were good for revealing things but not great for listening to music for enjoyment.

Anyone have recommendations for great closed back headphones?

odyo

I’m currently using them in balanced mode with my RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE (what a mouthful!). The ADI-2 Pro was purchased for my home music studio to use for both recording and playback. Prior to that I used them with the 1st gen ADI-2 DAC. The performance of that DAC/amp combo is what made me take a hard look at the ADI-2 Pro FS. I use a MOTU 838es and MOTU 24ai on an AVB network to interface to my synthesizers and digital piano. It’s nice to have access to everything without moving patch cables. But if I want a pristine capture I use the ADI-2 Pro.

Sorry for a bit off topic. To put it back on topic - when I need isolation my favorite headphones are Beyerdynamic DT770 cans. I don’t have a lot of experience with great sounding closed back headphones. Prior to the Beyerdynamic I used Sony MDR-7506 for monitoring. The Sony’s were good for revealing things but not great for listening to music for enjoyment.

Yes i'm fan of DT 770. After 770 i only tried higher end open backs but i kinda missed that closed back signature. I'm also looking for a solid closed back like 770. 1770 first come to my mind but i didn't like it measurements much and seems like people didn't liked it. My eyes are on Dan Clark Mr Speakers closed back planars. Haven't do much research but this one: https://drop.com/buy/drop-mrspeakers-ether-cx-closed-headphones currently top of my list.

and these:
https://danclarkaudio.com/headphones-22/aeon/aeon-closed-back-headphone.html
https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-2-closed-back
https://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/TH900mk2.shtml

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fair enough mate, and I do owe you an apology. My response was too strong for certain and that was inappropriate. I way prefer a great dialogue based around respect and communication and based on your reply to me I get the sense that you also value these things. I will have to take a screen shot with my phone as I use Onkyo HF Player on a LG G7. I essentially scoop out the bass in a moderately deep scoop probably centred around 80Hz running to about 125 Hz removing about 4dB of energy overall. What this does is essentially liberates the excellent tonal ability of the driver/enclosure design in the other frequencies while still retaining genuine bass punch, but natural enough to be engaging. I have played the drums for about 35 years off and on so I have to believe that I have at least some sense of what works in those frequency regions. I have also been listening to decent audio since the early 1980s so I have I hope a nuanced perception of audio reproduction.

I also listen to a very wide variety of music from Judas Priest and Tool to Yo Yo Ma. I value sound reproduction fundamentals and engagement ability in my gear. I say this not boastfully, but so that you get a sense of how connected to this hobby and passion I am. It isn't about me at all, it is about great music reproduction.

Thanks man! I really appreciate that. Same here, I am here for the community and looking to learn from others experiences and share my personal journey. I really appreciate how this community can unmask which pieces of hardware are well engineered and regardless of price point and brand and can share how they accomplished their goals.

Definitely share your screenshot of what you do to dial in your Sony's. I want to try it out! I'll try out the settings you recommend as well. I love tinkering to see if I can make stuff better. My personal musical history is 20+ years playing the cello up through my school years and semi professionally as a side gig during that time. Also I've always been a tinkerer. I love seeing if I can take disparate useful pieces I already have and put them together to make something that sounds good instead of buying new and throwing out perfectly good stuff. My first stereo system as a kid was taking my parents old speakers and amplifier, and patching a line out from my portable boom box and seeing the improvement in sound quality playing my tape cassettes and the radio from the boom box over some proper audio hardware and full size speakers. :)

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Thanks man! I really appreciate that. Same here, I am here for the community and looking to learn from others experiences and share my personal journey. I really appreciate how this community can unmask which pieces of hardware are well engineered and regardless of price point and brand and can share how they accomplished their goals.

Definitely share your screenshot of what you do to dial in your Sony's. I want to try it out! I'll try out the settings you recommend as well. I love tinkering to see if I can make stuff better. My personal musical history is 20+ years playing the cello up through my school years and semi professionally as a side gig during that time. Also I've always been a tinkerer. I love seeing if I can take disparate useful pieces I already have and put them together to make something that sounds good instead of buying new and throwing out perfectly good stuff. My first stereo system as a kid was taking my parents old speakers and amplifier, and patching a line out from my portable boom box and seeing the improvement in sound quality playing my tape cassettes and the radio from the boom box over some proper audio hardware and full size speakers. :)
The cello is one of my very favourite instruments. My ex came from a pretty musical family, she played the violin and had almost perfect pitch. I was constantly amazed at how she would simply listen to a piece of music and in very short order be able to take up the melody and structure and play along so convincingly that even though she was improvising overtop it was mathematically correct enough that the illusion was pretty convincing. Her father played the piano and had grown up in the big band era and man could he tickle the ivory. He had fat, short little fingers but wow what he could do. Another brother played the trumpet and another the flute. Family gatherings were always musical events to be sure.

I also love that this community is about frank discussions of both the subjective and objective. Although trained in social science, I also do hold the importance of the subjective experience as equally important. Thank you for being understanding, I am really sorry for being such a dick, lets be frank, I was a dick, but in the end we recovered the conversation which is what is most important. I look forward to conversing more in the coming weeks and likely years as I am beginning to feel very at home here and quite enjoying the community. I have been at head-fi for a decade, but I have to admit that how actively the administration and membership discourages any objective conversations is beginning to be wearisome.

A Surfer

Major Contributor

I also owned the DT770 and the 880 and rather enjoyed both. There are so many excellent headphones out there. A very experienced friend of mine likes the Neumann NDH 20 studio headphone very much. I sell off his rather large and ever changing collection of headphones on his behalf as he doesn't like to do that and for him to keep the NDH 20 is high praise. I also very much like the Pioneer SE Monitor 5, but really there are so many excellent headphones now it is almost overwhelming to keep up with.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

What's your budget?

If you can spring for them the HD820's are probably the best closed 'phones still in production.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
What's your budget?

If you can spring for them the HD820's are probably the best closed 'phones still in production.
I hate to be contrary, but I had the 820 for a time and I did not find it engaging at all. I loved and owned the HD800s/650/600 and even moderately enjoy the 700 with equalization. The 820 was impossible to get to fit, and every other Sennheiser that I owned fir perfectly. I was selling it on behalf of a friend and he couldn't get a proper seal no matter what and sold it out of frustration. Perhaps I never heard it at it's best due to the fit issue, but despite expecting to love it, sadly I just found the 820 not at all up to expectation.

I will try it again if I ever get the chance, but I can't imagine too many people loving the 820 and based on quite a bit of reading from those who own or have owned it, it seems to be a bit polarizing. What specifically do you enjoy so much about it and what other similarly appointed flagship closed back headphone do you have experience with? I just ask to get an idea of your frame of reference.

Top Bottom