• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

It happens with both XLR and RCA out. I do have an extension cable on the USB but it's be a digital signal and it shouldn't be affected by noise, I think anyway. I've got a thicker USB3 extension cable I could try, or just temporarily take the extension off.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
It can't be the DAC, that is very unlikely. It is either noise somehow getting into things, although that doesn't sound like noise, or forgive me for saying this, you may be thinking you hear this when you don't really. If the first time you thought you heard it but you actually imagined it, that is a very powerful expectation bias forming event and you would be quite likely to keep hearing it. It is also possible the USB is faulty. You really should test using a different computer.

I guess I could just use optical instead, but using WASAPI/exclusive mode ignores global volume for me with optical and I have to use the program's volume control instead, which I'm sure I'm going to forget about and absolutely destroy my ears since it is super loud. There's no benefit to using ASIO over WASAPI is there, if anything ASIO is glitchier? and is there any way to use I2S short of getting a Raspberry Pi? or any benefits to any other connections over optical?

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Does anyone else have issues with upper bass/lower midrange graininess? that makes voices (male and low female) sound buzzy over the USB connection? I'm using optical now and it doesn't seem to be as bad, it actually seems to sound better overall than USB.
I know break in and cables are a polemic subject, and I don’t claim to know why I perceive subjective differences, but I felt my D90 MQA took about 2 weeks to sound its best in my multiple systems. I also played around with different pro cables and settled with the Van Damme star quad. I find optical to sounds a little “mellower“ than USB but I don’t use it for music.

Gavin

Never heard or seen a DAC like D90 has so many complaints from customers (including me) chasing new chips. Although it uses a newer chip, I think it is because of poor design or poor manufacturing and lack of rigorous pre-market testing. Although the measurement of this DAC is not bad, the well-measurement does not represent the reliability, compatibility and sense of hearing.
No longer accept any rebuttal.

wineandmusic

Never heard or seen a DAC like D90 has so many complaints from customers (including me) chasing new chips. Although it uses a newer chip, I think it is because of poor design or poor manufacturing and lack of rigorous pre-market testing. Although the measurement of this DAC is not bad, the well-measurement does not represent the reliability, compatibility and sense of hearing.

GAVIN>> I think it is because of poor design
Thats not possible, because it is in the "green zone" (lol)...glad I haven't tried one, i was ready to put it on my shortlist.
I thought i heard something like the AK4493 was edgy by more than one person too....perhaps the 4497 is the sweet spot?
more than a few people suggest just buy something in the green zone, they will all sound the same.

THinking i will just stick with toslink for now and buy a cheap ess for usb for the time being.

DavidBloch406

I’m not certain I’d express it so strongly but I think you make a good point. The D90’s measurements are more than not bad: they are, according to this forum, just about the best there are. And yet you’re right, something doesn’t add up somewhere... whether it was a golden sample, poor ongoing quality control caused by the health emergency, design flaws, or whatever. I live in Hong Kong and talk a lot to local and Mainland enthusiasts and a lot of them say the same thing: Topping are OK and some of the products are cool but if you’re paying $700-800 then they’ve got issues. Hearsay, of course - but I wonder if there’s scope now for a formal round-up of all these issues and a new look by Amir? I’d also like to hear some serious engineers talk about the implementation above and beyond the raw numbers.
(Just to add, again, that I am really pleased with my E30/Atom amp do this is not an ASR/Topping rant.)

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
I’m not certain I’d express it so strongly but I think you make a good point. The D90’s measurements are more than not bad: they are, according to this forum, just about the best there are. And yet you’re right, something doesn’t add up somewhere... whether it was a golden sample, poor ongoing quality control caused by the health emergency, design flaws, or whatever. I live in Hong Kong and talk a lot to local and Mainland enthusiasts and a lot of them say the same thing: Topping are OK and some of the products are cool but if you’re paying $700-800 then they’ve got issues. Hearsay, of course - but I wonder if there’s scope now for a formal round-up of all these issues and a new look by Amir? I’d also like to hear some serious engineers talk about the implementation above and beyond the raw numbers.
(Just to add, again, that I am really pleased with my E30/Atom amp do this is not an ASR/Topping rant.)
FWIW, I've had no issues with my two recent Topping purchases so far (A90 and D90 MQA). But I think they require partnering gear that is also at a high performance level.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
PSA - this guy was butt hurt that the D90 MQA had MAC OS compatibility issues, which he reported on May 1st. Topping released a new driver to remedy the issue on May 9th.

Gavin

PSA - this guy was butt hurt that the D90 MQA had MAC OS compatibility issues, which he reported on May 1st. Topping released a new driver to remedy the issue on May 9th.
That's right, the D90 MQA I received ruined my weekend.
It’s normal for a new product to be produced with some problems, but the arrogant attitude from some people who claimed to be from Topping made me resolutely returned it. They don't like customers who raise questions or issues at all, only focus on whether the sales are good.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
That's right, the D90 MQA I received ruined my weekend.
It’s normal for a new product to be produced with some problems, but the arrogant attitude from some people who claimed to be from Topping made me resolutely returned it. They don't like customers who raise questions or issues at all, only focus on whether the sales are good.
Oh yes? I said we were going to fix the issue and it's fixed in a week. And I said if you were not fine with this you could returned it? And I thought we made peace and understanding by the end of that conversation. Now what? What's going on?

Gavin

Have to say, do not waste your money and time on feeding the unreliable DACs like Topping's D90.
Real encounter from a real customer:eek:

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Have to say, do not waste your money and time on feeding the unreliable DACs like Topping's D90.
There really is nothing wrong with the Dac so whatever problems you’re having maybe you should try to figure them out. I’m not going to tell you that DACs cannot affect the sound but in the case of the D90 most people do not have a problem with it so maybe you should try to look elsewhere maybe it’s system synergy.

Gavin

But is the updated firmware of Topping used to solve the system problems on my end? Although most users have no problems, I know I was not the only user who received one that has compatibility issues. In my opinion, most people here use the Windows system, I use macOS and play DSD256 soundtracks. I repeat again, what disappointed me was the attitude of some people from Topping. I have always been more tolerant of new products because I always like to try new technologies.

wineandmusic

Something seems wrong when Topping responds here....some sort of affiliation?
Also, no matter what, it has to be realized that the measurements alone do not show the whole picture.

If topping is here though, I would like to know first hand if you plan on having a dac with galvanic isolation?

wineandmusic

I must say, i change my mind quickly. Maybe there are a few individuals in these threads that have had complaints...i really was just responding to the one individual that suggested there were many. But i was curious what was on AS about the D90, so i went searching, and low and behold Barrows is calling it a "giant killer", and besides his own products and people he is affiiated with in one way or another, i don't recall him ever saying anything that positive about any hardware, and he is typically very "nit-picky" (in a good way), and usually reluctant to give praise of anything.....based on that alone, it is back on my shortlist.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Yep. The superb measurements of the Topping D90 with its "newer chip" are not as large as the measurement of the size of the chip on Gavin's shoulder.

Top Bottom