• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I must say, i change my mind quickly. Maybe there are a few individuals in these threads that have had complaints...i really was just responding to the one individual that suggested there were many. But i was curious what was on AS about the D90, so i went searching, and low and behold Barrows is calling it a "giant killer", and besides his own products and people he is affiiated with in one way or another, i don't recall him ever saying anything that positive about any hardware, and he is typically very "nit-picky" (in a good way), and usually reluctant to give praise of anything.....based on that alone, it is back on my shortlist.
Cool story bro.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's right, the D90 MQA I received ruined my weekend.
It’s normal for a new product to be produced with some problems, but the arrogant attitude from some people who claimed to be from Topping made me resolutely returned it. They don't like customers who raise questions or issues at all, only focus on whether the sales are good.
Oh the irony coming from a Mac user! The same company that claimed folks were cleaning their keyboards wrong when the butterfly switches started to fail. That is what I would consider an arrogant attitude from a manufacturer; blaming their customers first instead of acknowledging the problem and developing a solution. Should Topping have tested the D90 MQA on Macs before release? Yes, but they fixed the issue in about 1 week....1 WEEK!

I really appreciate the ASR members affiliated with the products that Amir tests and want to help maintain a safe space for them. The unfounded negative rants against Topping, or any manufacturer for that matter, doesn’t do anyone any good, so please let’s move on.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Oh the irony coming from a Mac user! The same company that claimed folks were cleaning their keyboards wrong when the butterfly switches started to fail. That is what I would consider an arrogant attitude from a manufacturer; blaming their customers first instead of acknowledging the problem and developing a solution.

This is trolling behaviour. So as a Mac user I should not have the right to complain when something goes wrongly? I point out two things:
  1. At least Apple replaced three of my keyboards with no questions asked (which incidentally gave me also a new battery each time) and I still have one with the butterfly mechanism, the latest version, that seems to work. And now they went back to a scissor mechanism, which my next machine will have.
  2. Also, maybe Apple as a company, if it were a person, would be hypocrite if they complained, but not a user (who is sometimes also a "victim" of Apple)
Should Topping have tested the D90 MQA on Macs before release? Yes, but they fixed the issue in about 1 week....1 WEEK!

I really appreciate the ASR members affiliated with the products that Amir tests and want to help maintain a safe space for them. The unfounded negative rants against Topping, or any manufacturer for that matter, doesn’t do anyone any good, so please let’s move on.

Since a lot of audiophiles have Macs, yes they should have tested it on a Mac first. This is inexcusable. However, it is good that they fixed that quickly.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is trolling behaviour. So as a Mac user I should not have the right to complain when something goes wrongly? I point out two things:
  1. At least Apple replaced three of my keyboards with no questions asked (which incidentally gave me also a new battery each time) and I still have one with the butterfly mechanism, the latest version, that seems to work. And now they went back to a scissor mechanism, which my next machine will have.
  2. Also, maybe Apple as a company, if it were a person, would be hypocrite if they complained, but not a user (who is sometimes also a "victim" of Apple)

Since a lot of audiophiles have Macs, yes they should have tested it on a Mac first. This is inexcusable. However, it is good that they fixed that quickly.
Of course consumers have the right to hold manufacturers accountable! That is exactly what ASR does with measurements. My point is it took Apple a long time to acknowledge the design flaw in their keyboards and activate the RMA program, anyways it’s off topic but maybe we should start a mac vs PC Who is best for an audiophile thread.

GeorgeWalk

I have had the D90 for a couple of months and I use it with my Macbook Pro no problems. Works great! Well designed and manufactured.
Never heard or seen a DAC like D90 has so many complaints from customers (including me) chasing new chips. Although it uses a newer chip, I think it is because of poor design or poor manufacturing and lack of rigorous pre-market testing. Although the measurement of this DAC is not bad, the well-measurement does not represent the reliability, compatibility and sense of hearing.
No longer accept any rebuttal.

I have had the D90 for a couple of months and I use it with my Macbook Pro no problems. Works great! Well designed and manufactured. I think for the price it was one of the best deals on quality audio I have ever bought.

Topping was very responsive, they provided a fix very quickly. I am not sure what else you wanted or expected. I was very impressed with how they responded.

BTW, I haven't heard many customer complaints. There are other forums that specialize in subjective comparisons of imaginary issues; usually fixed with more expensive cables. Perhaps you need to get better cables? Perhaps your unit is sensitive to power transients from the sun heating the mains into your house? Try this: https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2011/11/20k-audio-power-cable-introduced/

wineandmusic

I still want to know the answer from Topping if they have plans to ever provide a dac with galvanic isolation and with an enet port similar to the altair? Then it would be a giant killer.

Cut-Throat

Never heard or seen a DAC like D90 has so many complaints from customers (including me) chasing new chips. Although it uses a newer chip, I think it is because of poor design or poor manufacturing and lack of rigorous pre-market testing. Although the measurement of this DAC is not bad, the well-measurement does not represent the reliability, compatibility and sense of hearing.
No longer accept any rebuttal.

You keep posting complaints, but you're among the very few... Sounds like you have more of an axe to grind than any real complaints of this DAC. I own one and love it... Not the MQA however which may be nothing but snake oil.

jason.voegele

You keep posting complaints, but you're among the very few... Sounds like you have more of an axe to grind than any real complaints of this DAC. I own one and love it... Not the MQA however which may be nothing but snake oil.

I too have been using the D90 without problem, and I have absolutely no complaints about it thus far.

I use the MQA version, though, and while you may or may not like MQA as a format, it is not accurate to brand a DAC as snake oil just because it supports decoding of that format. I got the MQA version because I use Tidal, and having a DAC that supports full MQA decoding allows me to take advantage of Tidal's highest quality "master" tier.

Cut-Throat

I too have been using the D90 without problem, and I have absolutely no complaints about it thus far.

I use the MQA version, though, and while you may or may not like MQA as a format, it is not accurate to brand a DAC as snake oil just because it supports decoding of that format.

I certainly did NOT Brand the Dac as Snake Oil.... The concept of MQA may be however.

maxp779

Does this DAC run hot? Like if it's left on for a long time will the case heat up?

Cut-Throat

Does this DAC run hot? Like if it's left on for a long time will the case heat up?

My D90 has been running all afternoon today, and I just put my hand on it, and it is barely warm. Very Cool....
20200616_162619.jpg

Last edited:

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello! Share your experience replacing LME49720 with some other opamps?
I wouldn’t recommend changing the opamps. Different opamps might require a different circuit to perform optimally. And we’re dealing with surface mount components, very hard to work with.

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Mine gets warm, I leave it on all day.

typericey

Very close to getting the D90. It's in my shopping cart now and I'm still convincing myself to upgrade from the D70.

Anyone have an insider view whether AKM will be launching a new flagship chip soon?

Top Bottom