• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

Wazzupi

After spending the morning working and moving components around, I can NOT tell the difference between the D90 MQA and the ADI-2. This is guerrilla testing, not precisely level matched, only by ear, the ADI-2 output is higher, etc. And only subjective. If I had more time and the right set up I'd take the time to do it right. It is however how I'm using my headphone gear now, at my desk mostly. And mostly with the 177x (close backs) to be more isolated from external noises and get into the groove focusing on work.

I can however tell the difference between the 177x and the Sundara, one is connected in SE and the other balanced - not apple with apples, but close enough IMO. I plan to build a balanced cable at some point for the 177x... I can also tell the difference between leather and velour pads in the 177x. I perceive the Sundara having more body and weight sonically than the 177x in this test, both are equally detailed IMO and I can listen to them at low volumes with a ton of information perceived - this is quite something and I credit the clarity and low distortion of the A90.

So, @Wazzupi , my (very) subjective conclusion is that both DACs sound the same feeding the A90. I can't tell the difference with master Tidal tracks whether in MQA or not either. If you don't need all the excellent features the ADI-2 offers, I'd say go for the D90 (with or without MQA). I'll try to have some speaker time later today with the ADI-2 and see if these observations also translate in that system.
Thank you for your service :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just from my hearing.
OK, try this. Get them matched, to your ear, then drop the sparkly one (789?) just a couple of minutes back on the clock. Repeat. Still the more sparkly?

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I bought the A90 and D90 from Apos and paid $499 and $799 respectively (no discounts). I chose the free shipping option but they kindly upgraded shipping to express to avoid long delays (without me asking).
Both units shipped together in one package from mainland China to New Jersey on Wednesday and arrived at my door yesterday (Saturday).
Had to go down to Philly to pick mine up today or I would have never gotten it,was supposed to get it 05/28/20 DHL didn't want to unload,05/29/20 driver has to many packages can't deliver ok,send it to E.Windsor NJ I'll pick it up 06/01/20 nope still sitting in Philly it'll be ready 06/02/20 nope,it'll be ready 06/04 20 nope I'm going to Philly to pick this up,80 miles round trip,got lucky I guess.By the way this thing sounds outstanding paired with the DX7 Pro Pre Amp and Headphones

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Had to go down to Philly to pick mine up today or I would have never gotten it,was supposed to get it 05/28/20 DHL didn't want to unload,05/29/20 driver has to many packages can't deliver ok,send it to E.Windsor NJ I'll pick it up 06/01/20 nope still sitting in Philly it'll be ready 06/02/20 nope,it'll be ready 06/04 20 nope I'm going to Philly to pick this up,80 miles round trip,got lucky I guess.By the way this thing sounds outstanding paired with the DX7 Pro Pre Amp and Headphones

Mine is on hold in Hongkong since May 27th... Fuck DHL.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Just from my hearing.:D

Ask around ASR; this forum is full of incredibly knowledgeable and helpful folks who can walk you through how to properly level-test between two (or more) devices. You'll need a voltmeter or multimeter, but neither of those devices are expensive. You'll need to get the level match within 0.1dB. Don't trust your ears; even a very small difference in output voltage can trick you into perceiving a SQ difference between devices that isn't actually there.

Last edited:

rjley

Ask around ASR; this forum is full of incredibly knowledgeable and helpful folks who can walk you through how to properly level-test between two (or more) devices. You'll need a voltmeter or multimeter, but neither of those devices is expensive. You'll need to get the level match within 0.1dB. Don't trust your ears; even a very small difference in output voltage can trick you into perceiving a SQ difference between devices that isn't actually there.

Thanks, I mean the sound quality is so good with the A90/D90 combo. If I didn't have the 789 I wouldn't even be thinking about it. When I first listened to the A90, I felt is sounded ever so slightly veiled compared to the 789 which my ears were used to for the past 3-4 months or so but it seems like it's opening up a bit the more I listen to it. The quality of the recording has a lot to do with it as well. I'm listening right now to Deacon Blues (Steely Dan) and there's practically no difference at all. Really tight on the A90/D90 (using Arya headphones).

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Thanks, I mean the sound quality is so good with the A90/D90 combo. If I didn't have the 789 I wouldn't even be thinking about it. When I first listened to the A90, I felt is sounded ever so slightly veiled compared to the 789 which my ears were used to for the past 3-4 months or so but it seems like it's opening up a bit the more I listen to it. The quality of the recording has a lot to do with it as well. I'm listening right now to Deacon Blues (Steely Dan) and there's practically no difference at all. Really tight on the A90/D90 (using Arya headphones).
I also noticed that after a few days both D90 and A90 sound improved (3 days to be exact). And I felt exactly the same thing about the A90. It felt veiled and “synthetic“. The D90 on the other hand had a certain roughness to it.

Don’t ask me why, I know it is polemic and I could be delusional, I do not swear by it. :)

rjley

I also noticed that after a few days both D90 and A90 sound improved (3 days to be exact). And I felt exactly the same thing about the A90. It felt veiled and “synthetic“. The D90 on the other hand had a certain roughness to it.

Don’t ask me why, I know it is polemic and I could be delusional, I do not swear by it. :)

When did you get your A90? I just got mine Sunday and the D90 May 13

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
When did you get your A90? I just got mine Sunday and the D90 May 13
I got it this past Saturday (5/30), but I only started listening to it yesterday while working (and not in meetings or taking care of my family). It has been on since Saturday afternoon.

Last edited:

dmac6419

Major Contributor
And the sad thing is, you can't sleep at night cause you're wondering where it is, checking the tracking every morning :)
I knew where it was I just had to go get it before they lost it,even call the CEO office here in the USA,his secretary looked into it,guess they didn't answer the phone for her either,but i can almost guarantee you they'll be working weekend in Philly to clear their so called backlog.

rjley

I got it this past Saturday (5/30), but I only started listening to it yesterday while working (and not in meetings or taking care of my family). It has been on since Saturday afternoon.

leaving it on is kind of luck burning it in?

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
leaving it on is kind of luck burning it in?
Well... I had it playing at very low volumes sometimes not to drive everyone mad... But I’ll admit, I’m not very disciplined with audiophile rituals. I question my faith in them all the time... :)

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Top Bottom