• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

MalinYamato

Of these only Tidal benefits from MQA. Qobuz and Amazon HD offer up to full 24/192 lossless which is objectively better than MQA.
The quotation I provided is an extract from a conclusion of a very long and detailed review and the question is, how is it possible that streams from Amazon sound better when streamed through a MQA capable DAC than through a DAC without MQA (?) This only makes sense to me if Amazon uses MQA, not else.
The review: http://www.smsl-topping.com/blog-Ne...eview-–-Majestic-Quick-Accurate-11533340.html

w1000i

Forum Donor
Majority of DACs have 100ohm for rca out and 200 for BAL out. This is fine. M400 omitted the output buffer after they choosing the passive LPF path. The impedance is about 600ohm per strand.
What is the difference between active LPF and passive LPF preamp section ? just the impedance ?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
The quotation I provided is an extract from a conclusion of a very long and detailed review and the question is, how is it possible that streams from Amazon sound better when streamed through a MQA capable DAC than through a DAC without MQA (?) This only makes sense to me if Amazon uses MQA, not else.
The review: http://www.smsl-topping.com/blog-Ne...eview-–-Majestic-Quick-Accurate-11533340.html
Can we take this off topic discussion to a new thread please .

VeerK

I’ve been using an old amp whilst waiting for the A90, hopefully the DHL guy will grace my doorstep tomorrow morning. Will be using both headphone and pre outs if anyone has anything they want me to test.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The whole thing of DSD, MQA and exotic formats are useless, just something to audiophiles occupy their mind with.

Give me a format that is lossy above 20hz and lossless below that and Im fine. For example, a 96khz 24 bit file that throws aways everything below 22khz but maintans the sampling rate resolution and dynamic range below 22khz and we will have high res in less than 1.5mb/s if the audible range is compressed lossless like Flac.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
The whole thing of DSD, MQA and exotic formats are useless, just something to audiophiles occupy their mind with.

Give me a format that is lossy above 20hz and lossless below that and Im fine. For example, a 96khz 24 bit file that throws aways everything below 22khz but maintans the sampling rate resolution and dynamic range below 22khz and we will have high res in less than 1.5mb/s if the audible range is compressed lossless like Flac.
I like all formats,formats don't bother me,some people like vinyl,some people like CD's i used to like 8 tracks and cassettes,some people like live music,you know like actually seeing artist perform in the flesh,enjoy the music people.

MalinYamato

We know Amir A90 numbers, which are impressive, but for me such numbers are probably not enough to upgrade from sp200, 789 or even a Hersey. I am getting a A90 because I dont have enough power (220mw@32) to properly feed my new pones and because I am tired of waiting for others to be available. Are there any other considerations that I am not aware of why you upgrade from above mentioned amps?

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
We know Amir A90 numbers, which are impressive, but for me such numbers are probably not enough to upgrade from sp200, 789 or even a Hersey. I am getting a A90 because I dont have enough power (220mw@32) to properly feed my new pones and because I am tired of waiting for others to be available. Are there any other considerations that I am not aware of why you upgrade from above mentioned amps?

What phones? The 789 doesnt have enough muscle?

MalinYamato

What phones? The 789 doesnt have enough muscle?
D7200, Sundara and may get Argon mkIII. Do you have a phone in mind that 789 may not serve well?

Pillars

All of these are available. The A90 is also attractive since the power supply in built in. I've got an 887 and will be subjectively comparing the two, I don't expect much but I am mainly interested in the significant quality gap and the A90 is truly balanced correct? The THX amps sum internally.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
D7200, Sundara and may get Argon mkIII. Do you have a phone in mind that 789 may not serve well?

No, that was my point. Thought you were saying you had 789 and it didnt power yours. Think I misunderstood.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I got one because I wanted one and I have money for things I wanted.

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I had the same itch with my HE4XX's and bought the 789 as an upgrade from my JDS Atom, and guess what? I found that I had normalization enabled in spotify and tidal. Turned off normalization, and now I feel like it added another 20% volume that I needed to drive the 4XX's to anything higher than a moderate level. Note that both platforms require you to change the playing song to notice the change in normalization.

EDIT: Nevermind. I read it wrong. I thought you own a SP200, 789, and a heresey. If you have 220mW@32Ohms, it shouldn't be too terrible, but yeah, planars wont get very loud.

Last edited:

auronthas

now I feel like it added another 20% volume that I needed to drive the 4XX's to anything higher than a moderate level. .
4XX is not difficult to drive (93 dB/w/m and 35 ohm, at 110dB, one only need 50mW at 1.3V RMS amplifier ?

Isn't your 789 can drive it pretty easy?

Pillars

4XX is not difficult to drive (93 dB/w/m and 35 ohm, at 110dB, one only need 50mW at 1.3V RMS amplifier ?

Isn't your 789 can drive it pretty easy?

Have to agree on this one, the 789 makes my HD600 uncomfortable FAST. The HE-560 also gets there, though not as fast. I hope the gain choices on the A90 are tasteful in practice.

foxxx0

Forum Donor
I've just spoken to one of the Topping technicians via their webchat on their homepage and they told me the volume knob is able to control the XLR/RCA volume in PRE mode.

It would be great however if someone could verify that. Any chance you tested that @amirm ?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I've just spoken to one of the Topping technicians via their webchat on their homepage and they told me the volume knob is able to control the XLR/RCA volume in PRE mode.

It would be great however if someone could verify that. Any chance you tested that @amirm ?
No need to verify. The preamp is wired from the headphon out with a resistor.

Top Bottom