• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does Tidal have a country and western bias?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Done some digging on this. If you start by clearing your play queue, search for then play a single track, if the app has autoplay enabled it will play a "radio" based on that track.

So if you pick a bog standard Oasis hit, you will get a "radio" list of pretty much exclusively britpop. You can see what its queuing up if you go to the now playing screen and hit the 3 line icon top right. (you can delete the play queue by hitting 3 dots in top right of the play queue screen).

Beck is interesting as he covers a fairly wide range of genres. Pretty sure if you select a track off Odelay, the "radio" will take you down a hip hop type way, but a more country /acoustic track of his will take you very quickly to classic 60s/70s folk and country and Americana.

Skipping a track simply advances to the next in the pre-ordained "radio" list.

So basically, I dont think it cares what your preferences / library are, it makes the list purely on original selection. (I think)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
YOU’RE NOT MAKING IT BETTER.

In my experience, the average music listener doesn't have enough depth of music knowledge to understand group improvisation and theme / motif evolution, along with intra musician signalling.

I can't blame them for their ignorance given the state of pop music these days and drastic cuts to musical education.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In my experience, the average music listener doesn't have enough depth of music knowledge to understand group improvisation and theme / motif evolution, along with intra musician signalling.

I can't blame them for their ignorance given the state of pop music these days and drastic cuts to musical education.
Im only dipping my toe into jazz coming more from a rock/ alternative background (listener- zero playing ability). But its easy to hear exactly what you mention in the jam band type stuff (Allman Bros etc) as well as some of the more leftfield alternative stuff. Makes Jazz easier to stomach than if coming at it from more a pop/ indie background.

Be interesting to see what a dance music fan would make of some of the wilder bop type jazz!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's got a girl in a gingham dress and a harmonica....

It's more old school country than most modern country.

Its definitely country in the Carter Family sense. Definitely not Country in the And Western sense.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Im only dipping my toe into jazz coming more from a rock/ alternative background (listener- zero playing ability). But its easy to hear exactly what you mention in the jam band type stuff (Allman Bros etc) as well as some of the more leftfield alternative stuff. Makes Jazz easier to stomach than if coming at it from more a pop/ indie background.

Be interesting to see what a dance music fan would make of some of the wilder bop type jazz!

Yes, coming from jam band listening helps a lot.

Kamasi Washington is a good bridge for those used to listening to jam bands.

Or 'jazz fusion' stuff from the 1970s.

And some Grateful Dead albums were sometimes dual tagged as jazz.

On the other hand, hard bop seems tough for a lot of people to 'get'; my wife calls it 'noisy'.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, coming from jam band listening helps a lot.

Kamasi Washington is a good bridge for those used to listening to jam bands.

Or 'jazz fusion' stuff from the 1970s.

And some Grateful Dead albums were sometimes dual tagged as jazz.

On the other hand, hard bop seems tough for a lot of people to 'get'; my wife calls it 'noisy'.

Kamasi stuff is great. Ive added Bitches Brew to my list but not yet heard any (the epitome of 70s fusion?) . I can enjoy Kind of Blue/ Love Supreme etc (lets call them the standards) if they creep up on me but not yet at the point where I can start a listening session with jazz. But I dont skip automatically if it comes on Shuffle . These days I only ever shuffle.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Kamasi stuff is great. Ive added Bitches Brew to my list but not yet heard any (the epitome of 70s fusion?) . I can enjoy Kind of Blue/ Love Supreme etc (lets call them the standards) if they creep up on me but not yet at the point where I can start a listening session with jazz. But I dont skip automatically if it comes on Shuffle . These days I only ever shuffle.

Kind of Blue / Love Supreme / Time Out are like listening to Beethoven's 9th symphony. They're brilliant works that should be enjoyed only on occasion, with focus, the right mood, and then put away for another 6 months.

"Headhunters" by Herbie Hancock is my recommendation for those new to the fusion genre.

1973, and you can hear the influences in pop / rock / funk / hip hop to this day:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This cannot be answered without an Objective test.

Play Tidal and another source fer yer dawg and count the howls on each.

vavan

wonder whether connecting last fm account makes it any better

OP
Count Arthur

Count Arthur

Major Contributor

I think the "the reason you don't like it because you're not intelligent/sophisticated/educated/discerning/etc.. enough" argument smacks just a teensy, weensy bit of elitism. :)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I think the "the reason you don't like it because you're not intelligent/sophisticated/educated/discerning/etc.. enough" argument smacks just a teensy, weensy bit of elitism. :)

Oh, definitely elitist.

But that doesn't make it untrue. ;)

However, it's not a matter of intelligence. It's a training issue.

Once upon a time, we had music appreciation / musical education classes in public schools. They skills aren't genre specific.

I play bass and trombone. Musical instrument playing experience definitely affects music listening.

OP
Count Arthur

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Personally, I'm a little dubious about the ability to learn to actually like something, appreciate or tolerate, possibly.

With music, food and art, I don't really want to have to concentrate and illicit a cerebral respone, I want a visceral, emotional response, an instant hit.

Vintage57

Forum Donor
:p

Jazz is for people that can play an instrument, sometimes really well, and want to be in a band, but haven't figured out how to play the same tune as everyone else.

Also for exibitors at audio shows to play something that no one who enters the room is familiar with, and won't linger.

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Personally, I'm a little dubious about the ability to learn to actually like something, appreciate or tolerate, possibly.

With music, food and art, I don't really want to have to concentrate and illicit a cerebral respone, I want a visceral, emotional response, an instant hit.

Yep, popular endeavors, whether music or food or cinema, are often focused on the visceral dimension and universally accessible.

Good BBQ, disco music, and action flicks are fun.

Nothing wrong with that.

But sometimes I'm in the mood for something more cerebral or sublime.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Also for audio shows to play something that no one who enters it the room is familiar with and won't linger.

I've heard very little "real jazz" at audio shows.

(yes, this forks into an entire debate about "what is jazz")

"Jazz at the Pawnshop" is more typical of audio show jazz -- a well made recording of mediocre musical interest.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Now ill happily disagree on that. Some of the flavours, music, drink even literature I love the most are ones my first reaction to was a solid "no thanks" but for whatever reason, re-sampled. I'm not talking about me as a child to me as an adult.

Imagine one of your favourite songs, but sung in a language alien to you. You would switch off pretty quick. Learn the language a bit, you might "get " it but still be challenged to listen in full. Learn the language completely, you might even like better than the version in your native tongue.

OP
Count Arthur

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Now ill happily disagree on that. Some of the flavours, music, drink even literature I love the most are ones my first reaction to was a solid "no thanks" but for whatever reason, re-sampled. I'm not talking about me as a child to me as an adult.

I'm struggling to think of something that has really grown on me, I genuinely can't think of a food, drink, album or painting that I once dislliked and now do.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm struggling to think of something that has really grown on me, I genuinely can't think of a food, drink, album or painting that I once dislliked and now do.

Probably something to discuss over some alcohol neither of us are familiar with.

Top Bottom