• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does Tidal have a country and western bias?

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Tidal had an offer whereby you get 4 months for £5.00, or something like that, so I thought I'd give it a try.

I've only had it a few days and I've found a few interesting things on it. However, if I leave it to it's own devices, it seems to veer off towards country and western and before I know it were in "yee-haw, c'mon cousin, let's get married" territory - no offence to any rednecks or hillbillies that may be perusing this forum from the comfort of their own trailer. :p

Anyone else found any algorithmic peculiarities with Tidal?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Tidal had an offer whereby you get 4 months for £5.00, or something like that, so I thought I'd give it a try.

I've only had it a few days and I've found a few interesting things on it. However, if I leave it to it's own devices, it seems to veer off towards country and western and before I know it were in "yee-haw, c'mon cousin, let's get married" territory - no offence to any rednecks or hillbillies that may be perusing this forum from the comfort of their own trailer. :p

I have never ever had Tidal veer off towards country and western, and that's after using it for 2+ years.

There must be something in your listening habits that cause it to do that.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Never used the auto play feature. But I've got 4000 odd favourite albums and it pretty much nails what of the new releases for the week would be my preference (first on the newly released tab of home.)

I think the autoplay goes more off your starting track than your collection/history. But maybe it learns from skips.

What do you normally start with in this situation?

Fregly

I married a hillbilly girl and I resemble that remark. No we are not blood related.

OP
Count Arthur

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
What do you normally start with in this situation?

I think it started veering off into country after I listened to a couple of Beck, Hansen, not Jeff, tracks; some of his albums are a bit folk/Americana-ish I guess, but others certainly aren't.

Tidal did turn up this, which I like:

Is that country? I know what I like, but sometimes I'm not entirely sure what genre it is.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it started veering off into country after I listened to a couple of Beck, Hansen, not Jeff, tracks; some of his albums are a bit folk/Americana-ish I guess, but others certainly aren't.

Tidal did turn up this, which I like:

Is that country? I know what I like, but sometimes I'm not entirely sure what genre it is.

That's dave berman aka silver Jews last record before he died last year. I suppose he could be called alt country. I just call it music. But i can see how you go from beck to him to all manner of what you're calling country. If it plays garth brookes it's gone off the rails

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
:p

Jazz is for people that can play an instrument, sometimes really well, and want to be in a band, but haven't figured out how to play the same tune as everyone else.
YOU’RE NOT MAKING IT BETTER.

Webninja

Forum Donor
I’ve been off/on Tidal even before JayZ bought it, and it’s never gotten close to Spotify for nailing predictions. Letting it play always goes to rap/rnb for me. I got a free subscription to Apple Music, which is a bit better than Tidal for suggestions, but still not as good as Spotify. If only Spotify would offer a lossless tier...

Top Bottom