• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mercedes E63 AMG wagon

Soundstage

I wonder how popular the class G is in the US:
1590060600480.jpeg

If I were forced to sit high, that is the car is would drive.
But in the meantime, I am happy driving my lower BMW.

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mind you I have never owned a car that cost more than my hifi at any stage of my life.
I remember the first time I encountered someone whose stereo cost more than his car. I found it extremely odd.

By the time I was 20 years old, I had a stereo that cost more than my car. I've tried to control my spending on hifi, yet I still do not have a car that costs more than my hifi. (I don't think my wife's car counts because she bought it shortly before we met.)

Last edited:
OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Car or other motorised vehicle emission have a massive impact on the environment, on climate and on health. Maybe there will be a point when society will be forced to ban any recreational use of boats and planes and cars and motorbikes using fossil fuel combustion engines.
For the time being we have the chance to exercise self-moderation. Or we may choose to enjoy ourselves while it lasts.

One of the good things to come out of the Covid19 crisis has been the cleaner air and a much quieter urban environment.
I don't think our newfound self-moderation in the West will inspire our friends in China and India to stop consuming more fossil fuels.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I don't think our newfound self-moderation in the West will inspire our friends in China and India to stop consuming more fossil fuels.

It has to become a lot less expensive. Environmental and safety standards are effectively 'luxuries' many developing countries are a long way from being able to afford. Complying with OSHA and EPA standards costs me a lot of money. I don't begrudge them, but I couldn't compete against someone who didn't... Giving up that cost advantage for much of the world isn't happening soon.

tuga

Major Contributor

We, the West, are still light-years ahead in that race... China is the leading in the electric cars sales and didn't withdraw from the Paris Agreement.

tuga

Major Contributor
It has to become a lot less expensive. Environmental and safety standards are effectively 'luxuries' many developing countries are a long way from being able to afford. Complying with OSHA and EPA standards costs me a lot of money. I don't begrudge them, but I couldn't compete against someone who didn't... Giving up that cost advantage for much of the world isn't happening soon.

There's a lot more to give up, the whole consumerist lifestyle paradigm is bound to end, either voluntarily or by force of events. But I don't expect my parents, now in their 70s, and others of their generation to radically change their habits. Younger generations will have grow up into a more frugal existence and hopefuly produce better politicians and be less obssessed with profit and economic growth.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
I now have a child and am in need of a practical car to complement my wife's Lexus SUV, which I hate to drive. I'm thinking of buying this 2007 E63 AMG station wagon:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2007-mercedes-benz-e63-amg-wagon-2/

The practicality and the 507 hp from a naturally aspirated engine have great appeal. I'm ideologically opposed to turbos. Yes, I am aware of the guy who got a $57K repair estimate for his R63 AMG minivan (same engine) after a failure related to engine headbolts.

I do not intend to drive the car every day. It would be more for weekend errands and runs down Westchester County backroads.

I would be most grateful for any views on whether this would be a stupid purchase.
This is what you'd call 'a nice car'. However, the page says that it's no longer available. Did you end up buying it?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's a lot more to give up, the whole consumerist lifestyle paradigm is bound to end, either voluntarily or by force of events. But I don't expect my parents, now in their 70s, and others of their generation to radically change their habits. Younger generations will have grow up into a more frugal existence and hopefuly produce better politicians and be less obssessed with profit and economic growth.

Are you gonna give up hifi too? ;)

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is what you'd call 'a nice car'. However, the page says that it's no longer available. Did you end up buying it?
No, but there's another one for sale now, and more will come up in the future.

I like these older wagons much more than the ones made since then.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
We don't need to stop living, just moderation and change of habits.

Just need fewer people and the rest will take care of itself, in my selfish opinion.

1590065428152.png

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 64617
We tried one of these on the farm years ago (over 50) instead of a Land Rover.
It was in every way inferior to the Land Rover except it was more expensive and exclusive.
I was frankly amazed it is still made but I suppose making it super expensive has made it desirable in a way.
Mind you people use Kubotas and quad bikes on farms nowadays not Land Rovers of G-wagens.

TankTop

Before you buy check the reputation of your local Mercedes service center. An AMG will have many repairs that will require expensive specialized tools and your local independent German repair shop will not have those tools.

The 07 E63 is a machine but at its age you are almost guaranteed to spend more than the purchase price on repairs. I’ll give you a clue, you cannot purchase a reputable service contract (warranty) on that car, the cost (not retail) for a similar late model Mercedes just out of warranty will be $7,000 or more... if you a finance company will even offer it. I’m not advocating for or against warranties just pointing out the finance company won’t sell something they’re guaranteed to loose money on.

The only modern Mercedes worth buying and maintaining is a museum level S or G, AMG’s are tuned to a level that sacrifices reliability in the long term.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 64617

There are a lot of these in the high income areas of Houston. At $120k, and $145k for the AMG version, they mainly serve as on road transportation. How they compared to a Land Rover decades ago is irrelevant.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is true and there never will be a time when the less advantaged people will not have the ambition to have a more comfortable, convenient life so I think it is pie in the sky to imagine controlling emissions however vital it may or may not be for the survival of our species (it isn't the planet we need to save, it will be fine, it is ourselves..).

I think we will have to rely on mother nature. She will find a way, even if it is more pandemics.

TankTop

We tried one of these on the farm years ago (over 50) instead of a Land Rover.
It was in every way inferior to the Land Rover except it was more expensive and exclusive.
I was frankly amazed it is still made but I suppose making it super expensive has made it desirable in a way.
Mind you people use Kubotas and quad bikes on farms nowadays not Land Rovers of G-wagens.

That’s why you get the Landcruiser, superior to a Range Rover in every way! The Landcruiser runs 11 years between new models and Toyota engineers it specifically to operate in an environment without paved roads (Middle East, Africa and other wonderful places) with a lifespan of 500,000 miles.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s why you get the Landcruiser, superior to a Range Rover in every way! The Landcruiser runs 11 years between new models and Toyota engineers it specifically to operate in an environment without paved roads (Middle East, Africa and other wonderful places) with a lifespan of 500,000 miles.
AFAIK back then nobody was importing Toyota into the UK, so it would not have been an option.
I rented a Land Cruiser for a road holiday in Iceland. There are few paved roads or bridges in Iceland so it was ideal. Mind you after 2 weeks my back knew it had taken a battering!
I probably wouldn't choose one for anything I do today but would certainly hire one for any holiday that was mainly on unpaved roads.

Edit:
I misread your original post as Land Rover, not Range Rover.
2 things,
1. Range Rover wasn't available 50 years ago either.
2. There is nothing about a Land Cruiser superior to the Range Rover, other than possibly, longevity.

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Currently considering low consumption amplification, used.

We don't need to stop living, just moderation and change of habits.

Someone who doesn't care about hifi (the same way you don't seem to care about having a fun car) could just as easily tell you to suck it up and use the earbuds that came with your phone.

When no single individual has any measurable impact on the planet there's nowhere to draw a line. That's why the tragedy of the commons is a tragedy.

Trying to shame people over their hobbies is likely to be counterproductive.

Top Bottom